Who will medal at NHK?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by icellist, Oct 12, 2010.

?

Who will medal?

Poll closed Oct 22, 2010.
  1. Dianne Szmiett

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. Kiira Korpi

63 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. Lena Marrocco

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Elene Gedevanishvili

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Jenna McCorkell

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Carolina Costner

47 vote(s)
    24.2%
  7. Mao Asada

165 vote(s)
    85.1%
  8. Kanako Murakami

53 vote(s)
    27.3%
  9. Viktoria Helgesson

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Rachael Flatt

94 vote(s)
    48.5%
  11. Ashley Wagner

79 vote(s)
    40.7%
  12. Caroline Zhang

15 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. icellist

icellist Member

Since NHK is coming up in less than two weeks and how badly Mao Asada did at Japan Open.
    Who do you think will medal?

Dianne Szmiett, Kiira Korpi, Lena Marrocco, Elene G., Jenna McCorkell, Carolina Kostner, Mao Asada, Kanako Murakami, Viktoria Helgesson, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner, and Caroline Zhang are attending.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Wow. Tough field. There's at least 6 girls who could potentially medal or be off the podium. The Japanese ladies may get hometown bonus, so I think Kanako is a good bet - her new SP is soo adorable :)

3. icellist

icellist Member

thanks pinky for the heads up
    here's the video guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldnLK2b2g0
    after watching that i'm almost sure that murakami got at least bronze XD

i'm still hoping that zhang has made a great improvement in her speed, lutz, and axel
    i dont care if she even medals, i just want to see imrpovement! she might be a force to be reckon if she fixes them well and consistently

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This event could go many, many different ways. As poorly as Mao was at JO, I don't see her off the podium. It would really be a shock. It really depends if Korpi and Kostner are having good jumping days.

I think Kanako could medal too. She's just superb when she skates well. The Americans could be in there too. It's going to be a very interesting competition.

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I picked Asada, Flatt and Korpi, but wouldn't be surprised to see Wagner, Murakami or Kostner spoil the party.

6. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I voted Mao, Ashley and Caroline. I'm not sure which order.

7. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Mao, Rachael, and Caroline.

8. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Voted exactly the same!

9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I will not make any predictions this season, so I'll just share my dream podium:

1. Mao
    2. Carolina
    3. Ashley

Good luck to all!

:cheer2:

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

1.Asada
    2.Murakami
    3.Kostner

11. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Aggh I don't know in what order, but Wagner, Asada, Murakami.

I don't see Rachael on the podium because her first outing on the GP always sucks. But you never know...

Plus, Zhang, Kostner, and Korpi could mix things up. Actually, all of them can mix things up!

12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

:( I am not a fan of that SP. A lot of the arm movements just seem to be forced into the choreography and many of them don't have any meaning to the music.

13. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Asada should run away with the title, but who knows. This field has sampled the most wildly inconsistent skaters, I'm loving it for the sheer element of unpredictability.

14. NMURA

NMURA Member

Asada usually skates "well" at home. In this field, she will win even with four errors and medal with seven errors. Flatt isn't an early season skater. Wagner has never beaten Flatt. Therefore their orders are quite predictable. Zhang usually skates well and tends to be treated less hearshly in Asia. Kostner always skates poorly in Asia (although she won NHK trophy in 2007 with poor performances). Korpi isn't a factor outside of Europe. Murakami is the most consistent skater here.

Asada
    Zhang
    Murakami

15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I voted Asada, Murakami and Kostner, but think Flatt, Wagner or Korpi could easily medal over Murakami/Kostner. But I hope Kanako medals. :p

16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Despite a few good performances and a bronze at Worlds, it seems the European ladies have been struggling for a few years. You are probably close to the correct podium, though Rachael or Ashley might go in the 3rd spot.

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

She won the silver medal at Cup of China last year.

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

that is true about Korpi and she shouldn't be ruled out.

19. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I agree. Kiira has been skating well this season and she can perfectly win a medal here.

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, I agree with you, but I'm afraid it's not the program's fault. This girls has a lot of power but is not very graceful, and doesn't seem to have a good feeling of the music. She is young and she probably will improve ;)

21. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I voted for Mao, Kiira, and Carolina. Seeing Kiira's programs this year, I am quite confident she will medal. I am not sure about Carolina at all, she can be replaced by Rachel or Ashley. I would love to see Kanako on the podium but this field is too strong for her yet, IMO. Of course, if Mao skates the way she did at JO, anything can happen. Even home ice might not help..

22. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Normally I would have though Mao would have dominated this field, but after watching the vid of her Japan Open performance (and that was "at home").... If she skates that poorly, I could imagine her off the podium. (Remember last season, she didn't even make the final.)

Korpi has had good, thought not spectacular, results already this season. Same with Helgesson, though even getting sixth in this field would be an awesome result for her.

Kostner will be Kostner: she could land 2 jumps or 7 in her FS. :lol:

Flatt has had some weak outings in her summer events, and isn't generally a great early season skater to start with.

Murakami and Wagner both seem hungry, so I expect at least one of them to be a "surprise" medalist.

Zhang is a total question mark. I guess we will see how relearning her jump technique is affecting her, and if she gets repeatedly dinged with the dreaded "<<."

My biggest wishes: I hope Gedevanishvili brings the voids, :rollin: and McCorkell doesn't embarass herself. :shuffle:

23. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I voted for Mao, Rachael and Ashley. I suppose Kanako could knock out one of the Americans if she has her big breakthrough on home ground. Carolina is usually unsteady this early in the season (as if she isn't the whole year through, ha ha), and I reckon Kiira could sneak in there too if she lands enough triples and earns her usual SWP bonus.

Far be it for me to be the millionth person to jump on the Caroline doom wagon, but if her ship hasn't already sailed, it might be coming into port anytime soon what with Gao, Zawadzki and a bunch of insanely talented Russian youngsters breaking through the ranks.

24. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am surprised anyone thinks Zhang will medal in this field.

25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

-I would personally love to see Ashley nail an SP, get some confidence, and start a breakthrough to the top tier for the season. She tweeted earlier this year that nailed a true lutz in practice

-I still think Mao Asada is in the pole position despite her poor performance in the JPN Open

-Korpi looks good early this season.

-Caro is completely unpredictable. Sometimes I fear her time has passed, though.

-Rachael is never really that great in the 'season opener', as someone upthread mentioned.

-I'm not expecting anything from Zhang, but would like to see technical improvements if that's possible.....

-Murakami may delight, but I don't know if she'll be held back being a new Senior and all, even if she is skating in JPN.

-Gede is never really that 'hot' in the early season either I don't think

26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Mao for sure, and I said Rachel and Ashley as well, but Kiira also has a good chance. Of course, anything could happen.

27. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

I'm pulling for Ashley here. If she has truly fixed her lutz, she can be a factor. Of course, she says it's fixed on Twitter but I have not actually seen her jump lately.

28. NMURA

NMURA Member

I've checked with wikipedia. Since the first event of 1979, NO American woman has won NHK trophy. The last American silver medalist was Tonia Kwiatkowski in 1996, and Ashley Wagner of last year is the ONLY American medalist since then. At least one European is on the podium in past 20 years (except two occasions of the Japanese sweep). American fans, it's better to be less optimistic.

29. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Interesting stats. I would think a lot of this has to do with who all was competing at the event and not just because of their nationality, however. ;) I don't ever remember Kwan, Lipinski, Cohen, or Sarah Hughes ever competing at NHK, and from '96 until about '06 they would have been amongst the top American ladies around to compete during those years. I know Meissner did compete once at NHK, I can't remember if she was still the reigning U.S. champ then or not. (I do remember she didn't do very well though.)

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mao gold
    Kanako silver
    Caro, Ashley and Kiira duke it out for the bronze

Rachael, Caroline, Elene G could be potential spoilers, but I honestly think the medalists will be 3 of the 5 ladies I mentioned initially.