Who will get the 2nd Russian ladies spot to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by hertmirsh, Nov 2, 2013.

?

2nd Russian ladies spot to Sochi

1. Sotnikova

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Tuktamysheva

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. other

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

Lets face it. It is obvious Lipnitskaia at this point is going to the Olympics. Who will the other spot be. Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, or in a big upset someone else.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Pogorilaya

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I don't agree that Julia L. is a lock for a spot on the Russian Olympic team. She still has to skate the rest of the season, including the Russian nationals. I like her chances but she is far from a lock. It will be a dogfight for those 2 spots.

4. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

Lipnitskaia would have to make mistakes and Sokolova and Tuktamysheva skate cleanly for her to lose a spot on the team. This would have to happen twice at both Russian Nationals and Europeans. Add to that Julia is 95% likely to skate cleanly and they are 0-1% and the odds of that happening are nothing.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

I like Pogorilaya too. But probably it will be Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova, I think.

6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

After seeing what went down at CoC, PoGold is looking good for one of those two spot for Sochi.

7. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Pogorilaya is slowly creeping in for the Team :2faced:

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Love Pogo and glad she's finally getting the respect she deserves, however, I'd be surprised if she makes the team. With the results of CoC now in the books, however, it's pretty clear that neither Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva will be held up by the international judges if they skate poorly, and that someone like Pogorilaya beating them on the basis of much stronger jumping performances is a distinct possibility considering it already happened. I'm most worried for Tuk, though, because of PCS. Pogo got 56 in the FS, and Tuk's is usually only around that range or slightly (like a couple points) higher, so really she cannot afford to tank the SP because someone like Pogo could wind up beating her if she does. Further, if Pogorilaya continues to skate well, like at TEB and if she makes GPF (I don't expect she will given the field in Paris, however, it is kind of unpredictable, so I could see her finishing 2nd or like 7th depending on how everything shakes out), the PCS will likely go up, she could push 60 in the FS, if that happens, Tuk and Sot need to get it together fast. Even with the program here, Pogo easily gave up around 6 points with the axels, meaning the scoring potential is 125 clean, and could push 130 with a PCS boost. I guess some of it will depend on scoring at Russian Nationals and if Liza and Adelina improve as the season goes on like they did last season, and on whether Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya can keep their consistency up.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Funny how after Worlds there was talk of how Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva were the 2 locks for the 2 women team. Now it is basically conceded there isnt even a hope they will be the 2 women Olympic team together (with Julia all but given 1 of the spots barring injury or a stunning meltdown), and suddenly even talk that it might not be one or the other on the team, but even the possability it will be neither making it.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is a little too soon to say that IMO, but she is creeping into the mix. Still she has no hope of beating Julia right now, and Adelina even skating so poorly still wasnt far from beating her. Tuktamysheva's LPs are scoring way higher than Anna ever has so far. So I wouldnt say she looks good for a spot yet, but if she keeps improving she could have a fighting shot at the 2nd spot behind Julia.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I don't believe that Russia will send two 15 year olds to the Olympics. One of the two spots will go to Tuk or Sot

12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The age range of contenders is 15 to 17. I don't see an issue.

13. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Imo Julia is a virtual lock for the team. I thought Adelina would get the second spot with Elizaveta as alternate but with Anna's GP win at COC this now gives me pause. We'll have to see how all do at Russian Nat'ls and at Europeans. But I think Julia for sure has one of those spots barring injury. It'll probably be Sotnikova for the second spot and it won't surprize me if Anna is first alternate over Elizaveta.

14. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

I'm really rooting for a Lipnitskaya/Tuktamysheva team. I've always liked both Sot and Tuk equally and appreciate their respective strengths but I'm really underwhelmed with Adelina's programs this year. However, Tuk MUST start to skate clean SPs and back it up with a strong LP like she has had. It is much easier to skate a great LP when you're in the first group with 53 points opposed to leading the short with 65 points. She needs to do both, starting at her next GP.

I like Pogo and her mermaid LP is intriguing with some good jumps and footwork but she is still undercooked as a skater. She can only make the team if Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, and Leonova show little or no improvement (an unfortunate yet possible scenario).

15. elif

elif Active Member

Thanks to Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova, they are really helping her. I can't understand why Sotnikova repeating her 3flip and negative GOE 3lutz+3loop. :scream:

16. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Team Alena Leonova!

17. bek

bek Guest

I would understand this if Adelina and Tukt showed some stability in performances, but neither girl has and both girls have only one year of Senior Championship experience.

18. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I would love to see Tuktamisheva go to Sochi as I find her the most complete of the Russian girls.
    I've really enjoyed watching her over the past two years.

19. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Me too! I absolutely adore Tukt! She is my favourite of the younger generation of singles skaters.

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I would wait and see how these four girls do in their second GPs.

Things are looking good for Lip. But Pog is too much of an unknown compared to Sot, Tuk and Lip. This is Tuk and Sot's 3rd GP season and they have medalled in most of their events - and they medalled at Euros and went to Worlds last season so they are the more established ones. This is Lip's second GP season and she has been medalling in every competition she entered so she is still quite ahead of Pog in terms of exposure and experience.

I honestly can't imagine a combination of Lip and Pog simply because that would be the least experienced / established combo. They did play around with a less established skater in 1998 (Sokolova) but that's only because they had an extra spot. And I can't imagine they would trust Pog to take part in the team event. Sot and Tuk may be inconsistent but they are probably more reliable score-wise in the short and long respectively. Sot with a UR call on her 3/3 still scored 6 points more than a clean Pog in the short and her 7 tripled free only beat Sot's 4 tripled free with 2 falls by 10 points. Sot's scoring potential is much higher.

I think the most likely scenario is probably Lip plus Sot or Tuk, whoever bombs less at Nationals or whoever medals at Europeans. The only way I see Pog making the team is if she medals at GPF (which also implies a solid showing at her second GP) and an undeniable win at Nationals. Otherwise I don't even see her making Europeans. Sot has been made into a darling, Tuk is the great technician, and Lip is the flexible doll. They have been marketed for years. At this stage Pog lacks an identity and I just can't see her being sent to the home Olympics to compete in the key event when people barely knew her. I see her back to Jr Worlds with Radionova and the top Russia girl from JGPF.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Lip, Sot, Tuk and Pog, I love it. Sounds like characters from a fantasy novel or something.

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The surnames are really too long, and I don't feel like checking out their wiki pages every time to ensure correct spelling or recklessly spelling their names wrong. An identifiable short form is the best idea.

23. bek

bek Guest

Pog meets with Sot again in TEB. A fourth place finish should be enough to make the GPF for her. I think if she beats Sot again the Russian fed may pay attention.

At the very least they may consider sending her to Senior worlds....

24. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Just as well Lip doesn't lip; it might get confusing....

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think it's cute.

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Most likely, but the two 15 year olds are the ones who can actually compete so at this point it seems like the more logical decision. I think being so great at such a young age has maybe hurt Tuk and Sot, they must be used to hearing all about how great they are and it messes with their head or something. Lip and Pogo seem to know what they need to do to be competitive internationally and nationally and seem focused on doing just that, so far, it seems like it's working. It will sure be interesting to see what happens from here on in.

27. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Probably Sotnikova if we also consider Tarasova's politiking. I believe her chances are even higher if Tarasova fails to send Kovtun.

28. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

sokolova back in business ? :cool: joking

29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Cupcake? I know she stopped competing in '07 but don't recall any official retirement announcement.

30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She didn't retire so much as the federation retired her. She had gotten 4th at Worlds IIRC but they refused to submit her for GPs.