Who will be the Third Russian Lady at Worlds?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by cx3, Aug 15, 2011.

?

Who will be the Third Russian Lady at Worlds?

1. Anna Ovcharova

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Sofia Biryukova

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. Polina Agafonova

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. Polina Shelepen

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  5. Other (Please Specify)

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. cx3

cx3 New Member

As know, Liza and Adelina are competing in the senior ranks on the GP this season, but are not eligible for Senior Worlds. Assuming that Leonova and Makarova make the team again, who do you think will be the third member?

My vote is Shelepen. I know she didn't have the best season, but the way she handled that crazy growth spurt is to be commended.

Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urx6k3mE2Aw

Compared to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_Kc3W_PFc

What do ya'll think?

2. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Sofia :swoon:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. elif

elif Active Member

Rosa Sheveleva

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Rosa Sheveleva could make a huge impact with her big jumps, nice basics and style and no edge calls.

5. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

I voted for Polina Shelepen, but I think it will be between her and Rosa Sheveleva, I expect improvements from both of them this season. I like Sofia very much, but she is too inconsistent, but if she's on I think she has a pretty good chance to get that spot too

6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I voted for Sofia. She has one year experience now. Unless she totally bombs, she will get the spot.

I am not sure Makarova's spot is safe.

7. Eris

Eris New Member

Yep, go Rosa! :respec:

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I haven't seen enough of Sheveleva to make an educated assessment. I really like Polina Shelepen though. She was my first favorite of the Russian Babies. I paid a lot of attention to her year before last, when she was competing against Kanako. Her growth spurt has given her a gorgeous appearance on the ice (very long and statuesque looking) and it's helped her speed as well. Her technique isn't rock solid, but she's another Russian lady who can jump out of the building. Also, of all of the Russian leaders I've seen, she's got the best spins. It irks me how awful the majority of the Russian ladies' spins are...

Polina gets rattled during competitions and often implodes a bit. If she can get her nerves under control, she'd probably be head to head with Sotnikova...ahead of Tuktamisheva. Liza T has a lot of good qualities but her jumps don't leave as big an impact as Adelina's and Polina's.

I hope Polina has a good year...it'd be great to see her in that 3rd spot.

9. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I hope that it is a healthy Anna Ovcharova. But we don't know yet how fit she is after her injury.

My second hope is Rosa Sheveleva. She has gorgeous jumps and expression as well.

Polina Agafanova has had a growth spurt it seems. It remains to be seen how that will affect her. But I guess that her and Sofia are not very likely to get the third spot.

10. millipied

millipied New Member

Didn't Shelepen decide not to compete on Senior circuit this season?

11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Polina Shelepen

12. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I'm afraid it will be Shelepen but I'm hoping for Sheveleva. She is just lovely :swoon:

13. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

Why? Neither is Leonova's in this case. I love both of them, but they do have some problems mainly with emotions during the skating. It all depends on what they show at the Nationals, actually.

However, I really can't choose any of the skaters above as a candidate for the third lady. I am not sure in any of them.

14. Eris

Eris New Member

Liza's jump technique is probably the best among Russian ladies. She has no problems with edges or UR.
    Polina's flip is lip and she tended to UR some jumps during last season. They both skated clean at Russian Junior Champs and Liza scored 17 points higher than Polina.

At this very competition Rosa beat Polina in the FS even though she singled one jump. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q4FVEAt0xk
    Yes, Rosa's spins are not as good as Polina's but in terms of PCS Polina is nowhere near Rosa.
    Last year was way better for Rosa then the 09-10, she became more consistent. I hope this season she will develop all her great qualities and hold nerves at Nats. In that case I don't think Polina will have any chances.

I like Polina, but her coach is not good at teaching basics... The same goes for Julia Lipnitskaya.

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^Lipnitskaya has some cool tricks, but I watched her performance from nationals last year and got a bit irritated with how many times she pulled her leg up behind her! Yes, you're freakishly flexible; do something else please.

In terms of Polina S. and Liza T, Liza T is definitely the front-runner. ITA, her technique is the best out of the Russian girls right now...I'm just waiting for her body to catch up to her technique. She's still very tiny (unless she's hit her growth spurt in the last two or three months) and that takes away from her impact on the ice. I think a little height will make her faster and make her jumps bigger. Until that happens, she still looks like a little girl next to Adelina, Polina S., etc. even though they're all pretty much the same age.

Like I said, I haven't seen enough of Sheveleva yet. I might need to go YT a couple of her programs and get better acquainted. Is she on the JGP this year? I'm hoping to see more of her and the rest of the Russian and American girls. It upsets me how no one covers the JGP other than the final. IMO, the JGP was far more interesting and entertaining than the senior GP...

16. Vash01

Lipnitskaya just turned 13. So she was just 12 at last year's nationals. You may be judging her too harshly. Please give her some time to mature.

I have never seen Sheveleva skate, so the first thing to do for me will be to see her program(s), probably tonight. I agree with you about the JGP. Even though many of the JGP winners drop out eventually at the senior level, it is still interesting to see what the future may bring.

17. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

That was lovely! I prefer her so much to Shelepen - cleaner, neater, and her all around basics are just so much stronger.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Anya Ovcharova, I sincerely hope...if she skates & looks as she did two seasons ago, pre-injury.

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Sad times when the Russians have 3 women that qualified for Worlds and the US is still stuck at 2. That really is something to be embarrassed about quite frankly.

21. Vash01

She is lovely- a bit like a younger and shorter version of Anjelika Krylova with jumps? Her spins seem weak, but she has time to develop those. She has the jumps, flow and personality.

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Sad times? The depth in Russia is absolutely staggering, and rivaled only by the U.S. and Japan. I don't think it's embarrassing at at all. There are so many girls in that country who would be national champions in many others.

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

There ARE, Jenna, there are. The Qualifying Rounds of Worlds & Four Cs (and even Europeans) are littered with American girls who skate for other countries.

That said, this is an extraordinary wave of young Russian ladies coming up. Everything happens in waves. Americans are no less good than before. Quite simply, at the moment, Russia and Japan are better. Seven or eight years from now, it could be the Americans nabbing the ladies podium medals once again.

24. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Oh, yes, please let's make this into a discussion about American girls. Because there aren't 2389384 other threads about them. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic: Is Agafanova still with Urmanov?

25. Eris

Eris New Member

Yes. :)

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about the younger girls coming up but that Makarova and Leonova would place better between the two of them then the US girls would.