Who will be ladies world champion in 2011 if Yu na does not compete?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Nov 25, 2010.

?

2011 Ladies world champion if Yu na does not compete

Poll closed Jan 24, 2011.
  1. Mao Asada

39 vote(s)
    22.3%
  2. Miki Ando

64 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Mirai Nagasu

17 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Carolina Kostner

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Ashley Wagner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Akiko Suzuki

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Rachael Flatt

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Laura Lepisto

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. Joannie Rochette

13 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. Cynthia Phaneuf

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  11. Alisa Czisny

10 vote(s)
    5.7%
  12. Other

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If Yu na Kim competes at worlds in 2011, I think she will most probably be the winner. However, if she does not compete, who do you think will win the world title in the ladies event?
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

There are so many questions. Will Kim be at Worlds, will Rochette be there, will Asada even make the team. If none of those are there I am thinking the European judges will group together and give it to the Euro lady who skates best. Their first preference would be Lepisto but if not they will look for other options.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The stated question was- who will win if Yu na does not compete? So that excludes her. I was not going to put Rochette on the list because she has not competed this season, but at the last minute I decided to add her name, still not knowing if she will be there.

I am almost certain that the Japanese fed will give Mao a chance to defend her world title.

I actually think this may be Carolina's year unless injuries make it impossible for her to do the 3Lutz and 3flip. In that case I like Mirai's chances.
  4. luCN

luCN New Member

Mao,if she can fix her jumps successfully as she said in the recent interview.
  5. judgejudy27

I really dont know who to pick. I know the question was if Yu Na doesnt compete but the hard thing is even if she doesnt there are similar questions to whether or not Rochette or Asada will. Rochette I dont think was reportedly planning to but I dont think she closed the door on the possability either. And if she sees Ando as the top skater so far this season and knows she easily beat Ando at the Japan Open and probably can anytime she skates well, and knows in her mind she hasnt won Worlds yet, well it wouldnt surprise me if she decided to return for Canadians and Worlds. Yeah I think you are probably right on Asada but who knows especialy if she skates poorly again at her next GP event and at Japanese Nationals.

Even if all 3 are out I am still unsure. Miki could win I guess but I would still be surprised if she did. I dont think she is a big judges favorite at this point and I think she is a last resort kind of option for them. I am not sure if Suzuki or Murukami have the consistency or scoring potential to win, even though Suzuki has progessed this season she cant even beat Ando yet. No way could I see the judges letting Flatt win no matter how well she skated well.

Mirai could win if she gets it all together and skates like she did at the Olympics but that is a big if. If none of the big guns are there Lepisto could also win if she could have a performance like she did at the Olympics but we havent even seen her yet this season. I dont know what to think of Carolina's chances, will she start doing the hard jumps again and be consistent with them which she never really has been. Last years Worlds she had one of her better competitions for awhile and still didnt medal. Could a real long shot like Korpi or Markova win if they skate well, as I said I have a feeling the judges might want a Euro lady to win this year if the big guns are out. It might end up such a weakish field if the big guns dont skate that Korpi could actually win if she did 2 clean programs with her full content but what are the odds of that given her history. And should we really go crazy and start considering Czisny or Leonova now. :rofl:

I really would need to take some time to think this all out more. Maybe would rather wait another month to vote.
  6. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Joannie has signed on to do the entire US and Cdn SOI Tour so, no, she won't be at worlds.
  7. MMTR

MMTR New Member

From the beginning of this season, I've seen several ice shows held in Japan, and Miki was excellent everytime I saw her. So far, I can't say she has performed well enough at GPS, but I believe she'll do a gread job at Worlds.

As for Mao, it might be a difficult season for her, for she is now trying to change her jumping style. But I hope her effort will be successful in the near future.
  8. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Anyone from the poll can win. But I think Mao is still the favorite, also it depends whether Mirai can recover and Miki's injury is not serious.
  9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Miki again unless she is still being hampered by her training. My guess is she will have a new SP come GPF in an attempt to score higher in that segment.
  10. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

CZISNY CZISNY CZISNY!! :cheer:
  11. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Miki. Also, even if Kim did come back we do not know exactly what form she is in and if she skates like she did at Worlds last year than Miki could still have a chance. IMO though the judges seem to be holding Miki back in the SP, but then after everyone lands on their asses or pops in the air then they don't have much of a choice other than to reward her clean long programs.
  12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I thought I would be the only one to vote for Kostner...and No ! We are 3 !
    In fact, I have no clue. Ladies are too inconsitent these days, really difficult to predict.
    If consistent, Mirai Nagasu and Mao Asada are the best for me !
  13. pinky166

Which is why I think she changes her SP before worlds. She said after she won COR that she was definitely going to work on her SP between now and the GPF and might get a new program entirely. Miki's SPs from last season and the season before worked pretty well for her and she usually managed to get pretty good marks for them when she skated well.
  14. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

I picked Miki i think Miki have good chance winning other WC if Yuna or joannie not compete this year.
  15. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Alissa......:swoon:
  16. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Miki skated first in the LP because of the reverse order and she got good score. Her LP is decent and so far none of the ladies program stood out on top. By world championship, i am sure all the score will goes up a little bit.

Remember in 2008, where all the top 3 score are just a little over 180+ mark. With one less element for ladies, the score will prob around there.
  17. Ankka

Ankka New Member

I'm gonna be completely overly positive about Lepisto's potential and claim it's her. I guess I hope it more than believe but think: coming out of a hip AND achilles tendon injury and win a world title!!!!!!!! (Yes I know, very unlikely)
  18. NMURA

NMURA Member

I can't expect how much Kim can score under those well-argued "extremely unfavorable" new rules, and in the most unfriendly "away". I think Ando can be the favorite even if Kim is there. She has almost beaten subpar Kim with equally subpar performances at GPF in Tokyo. If Asada is absent, Ando's PCS will roughly tie with Kim.

No lady has won worlds without participating GPS.

Asada should be the favorite if she can sacrifice her ideals for winning. We can have better pictures by Japanese Nationals.

As I wrote on the PC thread, "clean performances" tend to be valued higher at prestigious competitions like WC. In this sense, Ando has some advantages over others. Skater like Lepisto or Rochette has no chance unless it becomes a major splatfest. And they are the first ones to create that.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  19. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

ITA. Looking at the last past world championship medalists, not many ladies land on the podium with splat feast. I'm gonna exclude underrotation and double jumps or step out/touchdown here. Only two skaters, Kim and Cohen managed to hang on to bronze with one or more falls.

2010: 1 fall (Kim)
    2009: none
    2008: 1 fall (Asada)
    2007: 2 fall (Kim)
    2006: 2 fall?? (Cohen)
    2005: none
    2004: none
    2003: none
    2002: none
    2010 G
  20. NMURA

NMURA Member

This thread is about "who wins", isn't it?

Anyway, Asada is the first lady to win with a fall since Yamaguchi in 1992, IIRC. That was very close. When it's close, the judges consider the whole season's performances (and contributions to the ISU) to decide who wins.
  21. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

It's totally gonna be Akiko Suzuki. ;) She seems to be getting better and better with each competition this season...
  22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

While I'm not crazy about any of Miki's programs this season, I think she has an edge.
  23. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I would be so THRILLED! I love her skating. The judges seem willing to give her the PCS, as long as she hits her jumps.
  24. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Czisny

So I'm delusional. It would still be wonderful. We'd have threads that would go on forever discussing it.
  25. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Murakami? She may not make the team, but on a good day she's just as likely to win this as at least half the skaters on the poll. And there are 4 US skaters listed, at least 2 of those won't be there.
  26. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Pinky hasn't chimed in with it's obligatory "Christina Gao :mitchell: for world domination" post yet. :p
    Allen and (deleted member) like this.
  27. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:
  28. judgejudy27

Well someone is definitely from Japan. :lol:
  29. pinky166

Oh I totally think she will be on the team and has a good shot at medaling there, but I don't think she will win the title this season. She won't dominate the world until next season :p
  30. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Christina Gao for medal and world domination? Oh, come on, she couldn't even win JGP event! BTW, I don't think she will make the team.

I think Mao if she will fix her jumps or Miki if she will not. Lepisto or Kostner have chances, but it's a big if
  31. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Don't try to argue with pinky, her logic is not our normal human logic.
  32. Sasha is DIVINE

Sasha is DIVINE New Member

I can't deal with the thought of Miki Ando being World Champion again. Once was more than enough!

Please Mao, get it together!!
  33. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I hope not Asada, she's always bored me.

I hope not Suzuki (I'm still bitter over Nakano getting shut out of vancouver - it wasn't Suzuki's fault at all and my subsequent disinterest is not fair to her but there you go...)

Most of the others are just kind of boring, but I love Ando and the over the top emotional roller coaster she'll put herself and everyone around through. She's the only real diva out there at present for my money.

(Kim made a brave effort with the Brian&Mama show, but was entirely too reserved and her one public outburst was more juvenile than fabulous).
    FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  34. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

:lol::rollin:

Knowing that Joannie will not compete, I either want the World champ to be Kostner, Suzuki, or Czisny. The most likely choice at this point appears to be Akiko. Seeing her win in Japan would be thrilling indeed! :cheer2: I'm all for one of the older women who haven't yet won the title to do so.
  35. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

:confused:
  36. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Oh, but she will. She will make Kim look like a flash in the pan. Kwan, Witt and Henie will be mere footnotes in FS history. She will also cure cancer, solve global warming, and bring about world peace.:p
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  37. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

LOL Miki is not that bad. Sure she is not princessy and limber like rubber, but she does entertain us with drama, gossips, and high and low skating career. I mean you don't want the skater to win or bomb badly all the time. It will be just plain boring. She always seem so humble and nice.
  38. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Good God, No
  39. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

And it isn't her fault if she delivers while the other gold-favorites didn't do so on both nights in 2007.
  40. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:rofl: That is really funny.

I voted for Mao, effectively jinxing her in all likelihood. :slinkaway

I am not prepared for a second World championship for Miki with that LP. This isn't pole vaulting.

All this is true. I have nothing but admiration for her for skating and jumping through pain like she did at CoR. Just wow. However, all of the above doesn't change the fact that her programs are virtually devoid of choreography, transitions and interpretation.