Who was the last Olympic Champion to fall in the LP (at the same Olympics they won)?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by blue_idealist, Jul 17, 2012.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Who was the last Olympic Champion to fall in their long program at that same Olympics that they received the gold medal at? This is something that just popped in my head a few minutes ago, and I've been racking my brains but I can't remember for sure. I was thinking Mishkutenok/Dmitriev in 1992, but I can't remember if they actually fell in their LP or if one of them just doubled something - I just remember a major error. Anyway, does anyone know for any/all of the disciplines?

2. asdf334

asdf334 Active Member

Yamaguchi for the ladies.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yamaguchi didn't fall. She put her hand down on her triple loop and narrowly escaped falling.

Mishkutenok & Dmitriev didn't fall either.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that if any singles champion fell in the Free, it was back when Compulsories counted for sixty percent of the final score. Magda Mauroy-Julin finished fourth in the Free in 1920, so she's a possibility.

It could be that no victorious pair fell in the Free. Prior to 1968, there was no Pairs Short Program, so I rather doubt any of the gold medalists before then fell.

As near as I can remember, none of the gold medalists in Ice Dance fell in the Free.

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I know the last MEDALISTS who fell were Takahashi and Savchenko/Szolkowy, but they were bronze. I think the last silver medalists who had a fall were the Zhangs in '06. I can't remember if Lambiel fell in '06 as well. I THINK Sasha did.

5. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

It's debatable, but I consider Kristi's mistake on the loop to be a fall, and Viktor Petrenko's mistake on his 2nd 3-axel to also be a fall, both in 1992

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Sasha fell twice in 2006.

7. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

One was fall but that mistake on the flip was about as close as you get to a fall without actually sitting down on it. I'm sure it probably got -3 across the board though so it hurt as much as a fall...

8. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

But she only got one -1.00 fall deduction.

Not in the FS, but Sale and Pelletier both technically fell in the sp ;)

9. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

I agree.

10. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

The Zhangs fall in 06 is one of the worst I've seen. They turned it into one of my most memorable skates ever. Thanks for the reminder, gonna find it on youtube now.

11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

hahah, I laughed at THINK. haha.

12. Mafke

Mafke New Member

IIRC the only really clean singles medalist at Albertville (1992) was Paul Wylie.

In other words, the first post figures olympics delivered one of the messiest set of medalists in history. Probably not what they were hoping for...

13. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Yagudin had a very wonky triple flip in his winning LP but I don't think he put a hand or foot down.

14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Right, they had no falls in either Olympics, SP or FS.
    In the 92 free, they did have errors on two jumping passes in the FS, but neither was at all disruptive to the presentation. On the SBS 3 toes, Natalia came out forward (2 1/2 rotations) and stepped onto the correct edge. She also singled the planned 2A. This was part of the reason they wanted to reinstate and compete again in 94. They had won but were left slightly dissatisfied with their performance. At Lilehammer, all their jumping passes were clean.

15. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

While he certainly deserved his medal, Wylie's performance was not "really clean." He stepped out of a few jumps, in particular the triple Salchow, never a strong jump for him. As noted earlier, he didn't do a clean combination. I've always thought it a bit ironic that his Olympic lp performance is hailed as a miracle, when it isn't all that dissimilar from what he did in Orlando that year.

16. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

The 92 Olympics were a let down for me. Almost everyone in both the Women's and Men's had mistakes, probably the Olympics with the least amount of clean programs.

17. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

No, he was just very forward and leaning on the landing.

18. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Yamaguchi in 92, and IMO putting both hands and both skates firmly on the ice and having your buttocks an inch from sitting on the ice is a "fall". Under COP I imagine it would have been ruled a fall. The only way for the judges to have avoided given the gold to a skater who didnt fall that year would be to give it to Karen Preston or a then unknown Yuka Sato (or someone worse).

19. Susan M

I don't think so.

ISU Rule 353 defines a fall. The present wording is:

"a fall is defined as loss of control by a Skater with the result that the majority of his/her own body weight is on the ice supported by any other part of the body other than the blades e.g. hand(s), knee(s), back, buttock(s) or any part of the arm"

By that test, I wouldn't call it a fall. It was one hand down and a quick turn and step out onto the second foot, but I don't think there was any point where the majority of her body weight was not on her blades. She kept skating directly out of the jump and continued with her choreo pretty much on the beat, and I don't think that would be possible if a majority of her weight didn't remain on her blades.

Here's the move in question:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozwFZ5NoNs&t=2m59s

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Kristi pulled a Patrick Chan then, eh? :lol: You are exactly right of course, but then in that case, the same can be said of Michelle Kwan at 2002 Olympics. Michelle did not fall on the triple flip -- she merely "put her hand down and narrowly escaped falling." ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozwFZ5NoNs

In her Malaguena fp, Kristi did put a hand down and then her backside swooped down barely touching the ice as she quickly bounced upright and continued skating. The "hand-down fall" was followed by Kristi's nemesis jump, the salchow, which she doubled. The way Michelle "fell" on her 3-flip in 2002 is very similar. I couldn't find a workable link on youtube of Michelle's 2002 Olympic fp for comparison.

21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

If we're going by "actual" falls (meaning your butt lands on the ground), I thought I heard that Trixi Schuba fell in her 1972 Olympic free skate, although I've never seen it and for some reason it's not posted on YouTube. Anyone know for sure?

22. Mafke

Mafke New Member

AFAIK Schuba did not fall. Janet Lynn, who won the free skate (and bronze overall) did in fact fall (on a spin).

23. Susan M

No, it didn't. Kristi is in a sort of squat, but her bum is clearly several inches above the ice and her weight is on her feet and blades.

The errors were kind of similar, but Kwan's 2002 flip error was a little worse and I think could more arguably be called a fall. Kwan's second foot slipped out and, in addition to the hand, her weight was on the side of the boot instead of the blade.

http://youtu.be/xGnnCUHWiTc?t=2m37s

In other words, they both had 3 point landings, but two of Kristi's ice-touching points were her blades, while Kwan landed mostly not on her blades.

24. aftershocks

^^ :rofl: Seriously, has fs lowered itself to this kind of fall, not fall analysis?!!! (Sigh) I guess it has.

CoP, oh CoP my one and only IJS CoP... (in an off-tune singing voice) :blah:

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

She most certainly did not fall. Her 1972 Europeans FS, which is posted on Youtube is remarkably similar to what I remember watching during the Olympics. :yawn:

Question: Why am I dating myself, when I could be dating other people? :confused:

26. Susan M

What did I ever do to you to deserve such a mean spirited and insulting post?

When the question under discussion is who fell, then to me it does seem kind of relevant to define the term.

27. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Oh yes, this performance...YEESH. Oh well, at least she skated to "Man of La Mancha," which makes her program very pleasant to listen to. :)

28. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Consider the source, and then don't sweat it. ;)

29. aftershocks

Apologies, Susan M -- not intended to be "mean-spirited" toward you -- just unhappy with a lot of what CoP has wrought. And I do think it's kind of excessively way over-analyzing to try and examine minute detail by minute detail the Olympic "falls, not-falls" :confused: of Yama and Kwanita.

And actually, I was tongue-in-cheek referring to myself singing, not you -- the :blah: is directed toward CoP, not you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  30. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

That's a fall in my books. If it weren't for the hand, Kristi would have fallen flat on her face.