Who should coach I&K?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Cherub721, Nov 10, 2012.

Who should coach I&K?

1. Stay with Morozov

6.0%
  2. Beg Zhulin to take them back even though he said he never would

16.9%
  3. Shpilband

39.8%
  4. Zoueva

6.0%
  5. Krylova

26.5%
  6. Kustarova

3.6%
  7. Svinin & Zhuk

12.0%
  8. Platov

16.9%
  9. Gorshkov

3.6%
  10. Linichuk

18.1%
  11. Nechaeva & Chesnichenko

2.4%
  12. Other (please specify)

1.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Please recap what happened with Zhulin. Doesn't have to be long. Thanks.

2. sequins

sequins Active Member

:lol:Yes you're probably right.
    :lol:

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I had forgotten about that. I liked those programs, especially the FD. The My Fair Lady SD wasn't to everyone's taste but I thought it was a nice mix of tango and waltz.

I'm sure the fed contributed, but they did better under Linichuk. In 2007 with Gorshkov they were expected to contend for the title and certainly medal, but they only came 5th, without huge mistakes. They did win GPF and Euros the next year, but since he was injured, we'll never know how they would've done at Worlds. By 2009 K&N were the World bronze/Euro champs and most thought the fed had hitched their wagon to them, but they came 6th at Worlds and Linichuk/DomShabs got the title. (Similarly, with Denkova Staviyski Gorshkov could only get them silver and bronze, and Linichuk got them two golds, something I thought was impossible for a couple from a small federation).

Also, in 2009 both of Linichuk's teams beat both of Shpilband's teams at Worlds. That was the first year it looked like D&W could pass B&A, but it didn't happen and I think Linichuk had a bit to do with it. By 2010 the Shpilband teams were too strong technically to overcome.

Yeah, DenSta's 2007 FD is my favorite dance ever. :) I actually liked what she did with DomShabs in 2009. The waltz was clever and Spartacus really worked for them. So yeah, I think I can forgive the aboriginal dance by now, especially compared to Morozov's stuff.

I would love to see Linichuk training them exactly as you wrote it. :lol:

I&K trained with him as juniors in 2005, then split up for a couple of years, returning in 2009. He told them that if they ever left him, he would not take them back again. Their senior debut season was a struggle, and Nikita went on the record saying Zhulin did not spend enough time working with them and that he had to spend his own time reading the rulebook and watching youtube to figure things out. The fed made P&B leave Zhulin so he could focus on Russian skaters, but then they took I&K away right after that, supposedly because he was spending too much time with his TV shows. Zhulin then gave some interviews about how I&K were lazy and did not like to work.

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Basically, Ilinykh and Katsalapov were with Zhulin and left him. Then he agreed to take them back but told them that if they left again, he wouldn't take them back again.

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see I/K with Krylova but idk how likely that is considering she has W/P and A/E. The whole situation with Morozov is just awkward, there's like all this tension in the Kiss N Cry, like he and Elena are trying to pretend they are not together and poor Nikita, I can't imagine how hard it must be to train with his ex and be coached by her new boyfriend each day. I must say he's handling things well. Elena is apparently a sweetheart, so that combined with her beauty and talent is more reason to get away from Morozov fast, she can do so much better. And when/if they break up, things will just get even more awkward. Basically they need to get away from Morozov ASAP. Yes they are doing well but it's not like their scores are huge now, so there is little reason to stay with Morozov especially now that B/S are doing so well while their programs suck.

6. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Surprised at the number of people who want them to train with Igor. He would be much better than Morozov though

7. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I voted for Kustarova, just for the entertainment value of that. It would be funny to see Elena in whatever Bobrova was wearing last year with feathers sticking out of her :rofl:
    If seriously, maybe Platov would be a good choice for them.

8. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I voted Platov. I always liked him as a competitor and I think his style of skating would also be very good on them. Someone above said they wanted to be innovative, but IMO that's just nuts. The reason they had such success as juniors was because they are very classic ice dancers. In the long run they will have better luck if they go with their strengths.

9. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Active Member

I vote Platov to. I think he is very good with technical elements.. & he doesn't have as many students. He could devote
    Lots of time to them. I do believe Russian Federation would never allow them to train outside of the country

10. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Active Member

I also think Platov can do a lot with very good talent.. something he has not had yet.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

He had Sakhnovsky for a while, but yeah, never a team as talented as these two. Actually there's something about Nikita that reminds me of Evgeny. I think it's his calmness. :)

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Ummmm I obviously don't pay enough attention to the privates lives of most skaters, but is Elena with Morozov? :shuffle:

13. lulu

lulu New Member

I know their programs aren't particularly well regarded this year, but as for as the technical aspects of skating go, are they regressing or stagnating, or are they showing improvement?

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

OMG... just did. so sorry...

15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

There have been definite improvement in almost all technical areas, twizzles especially.

16. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks. :) In another thread, I mentioned how I would like to see them go back to Zhulin, but if they are improving and if Morozov is still able to code-whore a program, it is probably makes the most sense (at least to me) for them to stay with Morozov.