Who should be Russia's Third pair in 2014?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Nov 20, 2011.

Who should be Russia's 3rd pair in 2014?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2012.
  1. Bazarova-Larianov

48 vote(s)
    57.8%
  2. Iliushchekina-Maisuradze

21 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Martiusheva-Rogonov

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Gerboldt-Enberg

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Stolbova-Klimov

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The Olympics are still a few years away, which means some pairs could develop. Assuming that the top 2 Russian pairs will be V&T and K&S, who would you like to see as Russia's 3rd pair in Sochi?

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if Kavaguti lasted until Sochi although it is not impossible. Even if they do I could see them possibly dropping down to 3rd or 4th Russian pair by then, possibly even missing the team. I think Barazova & Larinov will make it, in fact I think they are a surer bet than K&S to do so.

3. Vash01

I have only recently started enjoying K&S, so I hope they will stick around till 2014. Right now the only pair that may drop them to the 3rd spot would be B&L, and B&L have their issues. So K&S could still be #2, unless there is a surprise junior pair that develops quickly.

4. judgejudy27

I have enjoyed K&S for a number of years and would love to see win a World title and Olympic medal before they retire. I am enjoying their programs more of late than Volosozhar & Trankov who still have a ways to go with choreography, or Savchenko & Szolkowy whose unique program concepts dont always appeal to me. However being realistic I am not sure how great things look for them moving forward. Volosozhar & Trankov are definitely the Russian #1 for the moment, and K&S will have to do something pretety spectacular to wrench that away as both the Russian fed. and international judges are loving V&T more and more. I am pretty sure the plans of the Russian fed. are for V&T to win the Olympic Gold in Sochi.

Yuko has had injury problems and isnt exactly a young skater anymore. They also continue to struggle with consistency problems. They did reasonably well this season, winning both their grand prix events, and upsetting Aliona & Robin to win one, but they still need to skate cleaner error free programs to have a chance to win a major event (or again if you consider their 2010 European title). I believe if they can stay relatively consistent and return to winning medals at the World level they will probably hang in as atleast Russian #2. However should they falter or fail to meet expectations I could see them dropped behind B&L and possibly some other younger team.

5. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

extreme wishful thinking on my side but I'd love love love Martiusheva/Rogonov to be the 3rd Russian pair in Sochi.

6. icellist

icellist Member

i'm fairly certain that the three Russian pairs will be Volosozhar/Trankov, Kavaguti/Smirnov, and Bazarova/Larianov

7. judgejudy27

Pretty much. Would take Yuko's body falling apart so badly she has to retire for it to be any different.

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Why would you think they would drop down? They're not really skating any worse than they were a couple of years ago.. they were never consistently the best in the world or anything.

Anyway, I hope it's Gerboldt and Enbert but I have a feeling that it will be Bazarova and Larionov, who just aren't really my cup of tea.

9. pumba

pumba New Member

I hope this will be Iliushechkina/Maisuradze, but it seems like Bazarova/Larionov will make it.
    I absolutely adore Vera Bazarova, imho she is the most beautiful and elegant skater among all curently competing, but her partner despite being a pretty consistent skater, who supports her in all those crazy lifts they make, is nothing for me. They remind me of Obertas/Soloviov, when we had a stellar female partner and a good, solid, but lacking in charisma male partner.

On the other hand Iliushechkina & Mausuradze are imo a more balanced team. Their LP for this season is my favourite. I even place S/S's LP lower. I just hope that maybe not for Sochi but for the 2018 Games they will gain consistency and develop into a pair equal to S/S or any other top Russian pair of the last decades. I think they have everything for this.

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And the scariest one. Sorry :yikes:

I think that Bazarova & Larionov will be the third team because of her lightness and their consistency. ;)

11. pumba

pumba New Member

Well, Vera is a "slim" girl, as well as Lyubov Iliushechkina, and I prefer their "scariness" over say Meagan Duhamel's "vigorous body" ;).

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, it was interesting to watch them back to back at TEB. They are just the opposite ! I don't know which one I prefer... ;)

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I prefer Iliushchekina/Maisuradze over Bazarova/Larionov, but it seems the latter is the more consistent pair and, thus, the more likely candidates to join Volosozhar/Trankov and Kavaguti/Smirnov on the team. I would love for Lubov and Nodari to realize all their potential and surprise us!

14. judgejudy27

Even when Lubov and Nodari skate very well their scores arent very high. They skated their absolute best at the GP final last year and couldnt beat out a junior Chinese team who made mistakes. I like them but I fear they have already peaked and it is a peak that will never get them on the World team again, other than possibly if they are willing to wait out several retirements.

15. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I adored I/M last season but this season the spark is gone and her jumping technique is horrible.

I'm amazed that G/E received so little picks. This team has huge potential and the their coaches/mentors are none other than Tamara Moskvina and Artur Dmitev.

I'm not a fan of the programs from B/L. She's an elegant skater but her jumping is bad and their programs lack emotion.

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Unless there is great improvement by G/E and I/M Russia is likely to send 5 of the 6 people who were in Vancouver to Sochi. China sent Z/Z, P/T and S/Z to three Olympics Russia can send five skaters to two Olympics. Poor Maria Mukhortova!

17. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

I have loved I/M since they were in juniors and it makes me so sad to agree with this.

18. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out for Iliushchekina/Maisuradze, they have more natural charisma than any of the other teams. They are so inconsistent though, and even when skating well they don't score as high as I think they should. B/L are so pretty yet so dull, powerless, and boring.

I/M have the potential to surpass K/S and be competing with V/T, I wish they would get it together already! :wall:

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think if they are to do this, Lubov needs to start eating more and then ideally start working with a jump coach as well. She looks gaunt and emaciated this season and consequently her spark is gone, and the weight loss is not even helping her jumps which seem worse than usual, so packing on a few pounds of muscle would serve her well, I think. And then if she could work with a jump coach and get her SBS triples more consistent, then I think she and Nodari could do really well - their lifts are fantastic, she is naturally charismatic, flexible, and they have good programs and lots of character. They have all the goods they just need to start putting it together when it counts or their PCS will continue to drop, I fear...

20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I/M will surpass K/S in 2014 when she retires. They are no where near them at this point and until I/M change coaches and/or choreographers, they never will be.

B/L are pretty firm as the #3 they have done very well to keep it, I hope they can continue; especially after how well they did at TEB.

21. Vash01

I agree about the coaching change. It seems I&M need to find another coach-choreographer combination and establish themselves after this season. They may have a slim chance of beating out B&L in that case, or at least establish themselves firmly as the #4 pair so that if there is an injury to one of the top 3 pairs, they can ease into the top 3. Otherwise they have to wait until 2018, and anything can happen in such a long period.

22. pumba

pumba New Member

IMO their programs are fine, sometimes (like this year) they are simply wonderful, so probably there is no problem with choreo. But it really seems that Pavlova for some reason is incapable of bringing her adult skaters to the top. TT/MM left her for the similar reasons back in 2001.
    I hope that with current trend when adult couples compete for the top places, they'll have time to gain consistency.

23. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wonder if V/T, K/S and B/L will retire after 2014. I know V/T just got together, but they're older than some pairs. I think B/L will probably stick around, being young and will probably finally be Russian #1s if the other two I listed retire. K/S are older and will probably go.. Yuko would be 36 at the 2018 Olympics.. it could be done but it's unlikely, haha.

24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Kavaguti will probably be the only one who retires, more due to health than age. If Smirnov chooses to continue (and a suitable partner is available) I would love to see him continue; he will only be 33 at the 2018 Olympics. Trankov will be 34 and Volosozhar will be 32.

Yuri Larionov will be 32 and Vera will be 25. I/M will be 30 and 26.