Who should be considered the favourite for the 2018 Olympic Ladies title?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Oct 2, 2013.

Who should be considered the favourite for the 2018 Olympic Ladies title?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2013.
  1. Ashley Wagner

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Kanako Murakami

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gracie Gold

11 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. Li Zijun

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Kaetlyn Osmond

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Adelina Sotnikova

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  7. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Julia Lipnitskaya

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  9. Elena Radionova

26 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Courtney Hicks

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  11. Somebody currently competing in the JGP (i.e. Edmunds, Medvedeva, Chen, Sakhanovich, etc)

17 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Other/Unknown/Somebody currently off the radar, etc

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Indeed, before age rules, I think basic skating test have to be more drastic ! lol

2. shine

shine Well-Known Member

My favourites are Osmond and Radionova. But Radionova is still so young and small and the way her jumps are, we can't really tell whether puberty will make thems stronger and higher or it will cause her to lose them. Love her skating to pieces, but it's too early to tell.

3. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

Surprising that Radionova is getting more votes than the group of pominent juniors. Her age, body size, and jump scale considered, I think she's one of the more vulnerable to puberty monster.

About Yuna Kim, it seems unlikely she will return for 2018.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Early signs are not good for Sotnikova who has competed recently. With the "3/3" combo she's doing going to be deduction central. But if you compare Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva's jumps and skating to the medalists or Li, Gold or Wagner or Osmond there was just a big letdown. Moreso from Liza in the SP. Where a jump and spin did not count and reflected all her SP problems and Sotnikova's poor SP and LP. Not so much in placement but in actual skating and jumping. With Tara in 1996 that was 6.0 and of course she was buried in the SP but was also far superior to Liza and Adelina but couldn't really show it in the standings because of 6.0.

Yes and that turned out to be wrong but who is to say another Russian phenom will survive the move to seniors better than sotnikova did.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

I agree about Radionova. She may grow too tall... I agree with t.mann though--she has the star quality that I really didn't see from Tuk and Lip, but Sotnikova still has star potential...

My bet is on Alexandra Proklova. :D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  6. koatcue

koatcue New Member

Some Russian :p

7. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

To early to bet on anyone but

I think Lipnitskaya has proven that she can still do all her jumps and spins after going through the major stages of puberty. I think she probably has the best chance of gold at this stage, but injuries will surely come and go within the next 4 years

I do like the young Alexandra Proklova, i think she has great potential for a future world champion. She has the jumps of Radionova, the flexibility of lipnitskaya and she doesnt just wave her arms around everywhere to try a get components. But she hasnt gone through puberty so you never know what could happen

I think Radionova will slowly fall behind, we can already see that she is having problems with 3F, and the usual 2A. I think after she finishes going through puberty she will face many injuries that could see her fall behind other russians

I think ashley will have gone into the shadows of girls that are more talented than her.

As there is still over 4 years till 2018 olympics, gracie could still be a threat. She will have had time to tweak techniques and maybe become consistent. However im not sure if her components will ever improve enough.

Osmond is not a threat

8. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

It's too early to tell, but I like Edmunds, Gold and Chen among the American ladies.

There are several young Russians I like, but I think Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva won't be a factor by then. IMO, Lipnitskaia and Radionova also need to improve jump technique to remain a contender in 2018.

9. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Lipnitskaia and Radiaonova will be the women to beat by 2018, but Yu Na Kim will come back for that 3rd Olympic Gold and likely get it leaving the Russian babies with silver and bronze.

10. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Scissoring Cizeron!

It will be me, naturally. Needless to say, I'm way off the radar. But watch out! :p

But seriously, I would think it would be Lipnitsaya, Radionova, Li, Chen or Gold. But some strange things happen in this sport, so only time will tell!

11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Lipnitskaya has HARDLY grown, she has all the tough stages of growth ahead of her. Wait until she deals with hips and extra body mass around her upper thighs. That jump technique is not going to hold up. Look at Tuktamysheva over the past couple years as an example to demonstrate the body changes Lipnitskaya still has to go through. Lipnitskaya has nowhere near a woman's body yet.

Time will tell, but I think we'll see struggles around this time next year. Hopefully she pulls through them

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Radionova :respec:

13. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

The Kween. Hopefully she realizes that US skating needs her and will stage a comeback.

14. HVS

HVS Active Member

So is The Queen :cool: Hopefully she realizes that Korean skating needs her and will comeback by 2018 ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Surprised Osmond and Li have so many votes. They are good skaters, but Olympic Championship caliber? I highly doubt it.