Who is your favorite non-GP US lady?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Oct 31, 2011.

Who's your faves? As many as you like...

1. Kiri Baga

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yasmin Siraj

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Nina Jiang

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Sophia Adams

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Vanessa Lam

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Leah Keiser

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Samantha Cesario

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  8. Angela Wang

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Amanda Dobbs

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. Alexe Gilles

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  11. Amanda Hofmann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Morgan Bell

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Just thought it would be fun to talk/poll about the lesser-known's who may wind up at Nationals...

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Are you just asking about this year's "non-GP ladies"? Alexe Gilles competed in a GP last year, IIRC.

3. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Well, Alexe fell alot (a LOT) last year on the GP, I would never say she 'competed' though.

I was impressed with Cesario.

4. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

I like Kiri Baga a lot. I hope she's recovered from her injuries come Nationala, and continues to skate as she moves into seniors and gets older. She has a lot of musicality for someone her age, and she's just really charming to watch.

Cesario is wonderful, too. I hope she'll also stick around for a long time.

5. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I picked Jiang. She's got a lovely, delicate about her and great technique on the jumps that she can land. She also has good speed and flow and while she isn't a contortionist, she has good carriage and hits positions that are more than adequate. She's like a less bendy Caroline Zhang but with better speed and sans jumping technique that makes you want to tear your hair out.

My only fear is that she's already moved up to senior (I think?) and still seems to have trouble mastering the more difficult jumps.

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Amanda Dobbs!

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, Amanda Dobbs. Half of those people I haven't seen.

8. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

So basically their skating has nothing in common. :p I loved her SP but her jumping in the FS was so dismal I couldn't really enjoy it. Not sure what to think now.

I highly recommend Sophia Adams' SWP short program. She just has a way with movement that is rarely matched.

9. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I just looked up her short at Glacier Falls on YT (I couldn't find her SP at SWP), and yes, she has lovely arms and extension - very graceful indeed. She was absolutely crawling during the footwork, though, and the lack of height and power on the easier jumps are a bit worrisome. She appears to have already undergone a growth spurt, so at least she doesn't have to worry about that impeding her future mastery of the jumps.

I haven't kept up with Jiang lately, so it'd be most unfortunate to learn that her jumps have deteriorated. I saw her last at the Val Gardena Spring Trophy and she was lovely there despite the falls.