Who is your favorite Canadian lady of 2000-2010?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Joannie Rochette
    2010 Olympic Bronze medalist
    2009 Worlds Silver medalist
    2005-2010 Five-time CAN Champion

Cynthia Phaneuf
    2004 CAN Champion
    2010 Worlds 5th place
    2004 Four Continents Silver

Mira Leung
    2006-2008 Three-time CAN Silver medalist
    2006 Olympics 12th place
    2008 Four Continents 5th place

Jennifer Robinson
    1999-2003 Five-time CAN Champion
    2002 Olympics 7th place
    2002 Four Continents 4th place

Nicole Watt
    2001 CAN Silver medalist
    Survivor of juvenile arthritis

Amélie Lacoste
    2012 CAN champion
    2010 & 2012 Four Continents 7th place
    Possible mascot of the high end French apparel company Lacoste

Myriane Samson
    2011 CAN Silver medalist
    2010 CAN Bronze medalist
    2010 Four Continents 8th place

Leslie Hawker
    2006 & 2007 CAN Bronze medalist

Annie Bellemare
    1999 & 2002 CAN Silver medalist
    2000 & 2001 CAN Bronze medalist
    2002 Four Continents 6th place

Michelle Currie
    2000 CAN Silver medalist
    2000 Four Continents 13th place

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I have to vote for Joannie. Love her elegance, and consistency. Love watching her pro skating in SOI. I think of her as an all-round class act.

3. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Rochette and Robinson won the Canadian title 6 times each, not 5. Rochette is also a 3-time 4CC medalist (2 silvers in 2008 & 2009 & a bronze in 2007) and also the GPF bronze medalist from 2004.

Joannie is my favorite BY FAR . . . she was the total package in my eyes!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Joannie by far. The very best from this list.
    I would have loved to see her winning a World medal before 2009. She could have medaled from 2005 !

5. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Joannie, she had the best overall package imo.
    Although I found Cynthia very impressive in 2004-2005. Too bad she never regained that consistency, she was such a beautiful skater to watch.

6. lulu

lulu New Member

Joannie

7. sequins

sequins Active Member

Joannie definitely but I did love watching Cynthia's skating.

8. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I honestly think Cynthia could have been world champion if her body and nerves didn't fight her. When she was on she was fierce, and a fantastic presence on the ice. When she landed her jumps they were all very strong and confident, and she rarely had a hair out of place in her choreo and spins which were very underrated.

Aside from nerves issues I have to admit I never liked any of her programs. None of them were memorable although eventually her 2010 short grew on me. The only program I instantly liked was her 11-12 SP, more for the performance potential of the music vs the choreo which was typically uncomplicated.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Cynthia was striking in '04, and I think it took a lot of strength for her to overcome the problems she had after that. Her career could have continued to rebound and advance if she had the mental skills together. She was talented, and she demonstrated she had the potential to overcome any mental issues. Her programs could have been a lot better, but I think she will be remembered as an interesting, exotic skater.

10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Nicole Watt without question. She had it all. But most especially that "extra something" you cannot teach, rather it must be felt with the heart. *insert heart emoticon*

In my much loved & treasured huge figure skating scrapbook lies several beautiful autographed pictures and note that Nicole once sent me. :)

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Nicole Watt was cute, and I am thankful to ABC for making Americans watch skaters like her and Annie Bellmare back in the day. They made up for deficiencies in their medal chances with beautiful programs and human interest.

Nicole Watt 2001 Skate Canada FS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7wPuF6HeeQ

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Cynthia's last name is "Phaneuf".

13. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

WOW, I am conflicted only because I admired a number of them but for different reasons.
    Joannie -- she learned how to get a handle on her nerves; brought a maturity to her skating a the 2010 Olympics when it seem it was about to be taken over by the youngsters on every level.
    Cynthia -- loved her power; always felt bad once that growth spurt took place and she just couldn't seem to find her jumps ... or her mental toughness.
    Jen -- as much as she was maligned her for her lack of just about everything, you could almost always count on her to deliver enough to keep her in the top ten -- hence Kurt Browning's nickname for her as "top ten Jen". I've always been proud of her for trying to make herself a better skater. She also stepped up to the plate and kept us at least talking about Canadian ladies figure skating.

As for some of the other ladies who have competed/are still competing -- well they have given something to talk about -- good/bad/indifferent.

Thanks to all those who gave us some memorable moments, even if you didn't mean to do so.

14. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Same here. :)

15. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Joannie.

16. Zora

Zora Member

Joannie

17. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Cynthia. We both were at our first nationals together... she's always been my fav.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  18. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Joannie always. Amelie from time to time.

19. figuristka

figuristka New Member

Joannie, also Cynthia when she skated well could be so athletic and artistic at the same time.

20. figuristka

figuristka New Member

21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Joannie. I enjoyed Jen R. in her eligible career and in SOI very much, too.

22. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I love the Canadian Girls. They may not have the drive or self - confidence of the Japanese, Russian or American ladies, but 2004 was an amazing year. Even Rod Black said something along the lines that it was as good as the US Nationals.

The title however, usually goes to the last one standing.

23. Canadask8er

Canadask8er New Member

2004 was a turning point for sure. Not only because of the dethroning of Jennifer Robinson (who brought Canadian ladies back on the map and rebounded after some poor Worlds performances), but because the top ladies all skated very well at Canadians. Annie Bellemare's 4th place finish would have won if she had skated in any other year! And her and Robinson really fought it out in 2002 for the Olympic spot. Let's hope 2013 is also another turning point with all the promising talent moving up to Senior!

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Phaneuf.. I've never been a fan of Joannie, although I like her pro skating better than her competitive skating.. I also really liked Lesley Hawker when she was competing.

25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I admire Joannie's combination of strength and grace, and her ability to perform under pressure, but I've always had a soft spot for Jennifer Robinson. She's such an incredibly gracious person who worked hard to make the most of her ability and talent. She was lovely as a pro with SOI and she's really tried to make positive contributions to her sport and a variety of charitable contributions.

I also rooted for Leslie Hawker because I've always rooted for the skaters who work hard in "outside jobs" to help support themselves and who want to keep competing because they really seem to love the sport.

And it's impossible not to admire Nicole Watt's personal triumphs and the inspiration she was to many.

Canada has been lucky to have so many wonderful women skaters. While they all might not have medalled consistently on the international stage, they have represented their sport and country well.

26. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Duh Joannie

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why is this I wonder? It's been an issue for over 30 years. I think the Canadian ladies main troubles have consistently been a matter of competitive style and packaging/image.