Who is your favorite American ladies star of the 1980s (The Reagan years)?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jan 21, 2013.

Choose your favorite USA lady of the 1980s (the Reagan years 1981-1988)?

1. Elaine Zayak

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Tiffany Chin

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Roslynn Sumners

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Priscilla Hill

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Vikki de Vries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Debi Thomas

30 vote(s)
    40.5%
  7. Caryn Kadavy

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. Jill Trenary

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. Jerri Campbell

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

When I look at videos of the ladies who the represented USA in the 1980s, several things stand out. There was a variety of talent equally matched by a variety of personalities. It would not be until 99-03 that so much diversity appeared on the USA scene again. From the powerhouse skating of Thomas and Zayak to the interesting and graceful lines of Tiffany Chin and Caryn Kadavy to the poised Jill Trenary with Bezic choreography, there was a lot to choose from. The performances tended to be upbeat, and the women, regardless of their skill level, seemed to concentrate on making the spectator feel that every movement was a dramatic moment in time.

Which of the ladies from the Reagan era of skating is your favorite? Which do you like/dislike? Do you hate them all? Share and discuss the skating of 1981-1988, a time when even the Asian skaters had enormous, curly hair and the shoulder pads kept getting bigger.

Tiffany Chin
    1985 US Champion
    '85 and '86 Worlds Bronze

Elaine Zayak
    1981 US Champion
    1982 World Champion

Rosalynn Sumners
    82, '83, and '84 US Champion
    1983 World Champion
    Olympic Runner Up 1984

Priscilla Hill
    1981 US Silver
    1981 Worlds 7th

Vikki de Vries
    1982 US Silver
    1982 Worlds 7th

Deborah Thomas
    86 & 88 US Champion
    1986 World Champion
    Olympic Bronze 1988

Caryn Kadavy
    1986 US Silver
    1987 World Bronze Medalist

Jill Trenary
    '87, '89, & '90 US Champion
    1990 World Champion

Jerri Campbell
    1988 US Pewter Medalist

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  2. lulu

lulu New Member

Debi Thomas :cheer:

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Rosalynn is probably my least favorite lady on this list.

I certainly like Jerri Campbell better than Rosalynn because Jerri had amazing spins. If anyone has never seen Jerri spin, you should check it out.

Go to 3:12 on this video and enjoy her combination spin beginning with a traveling camel and culminating in a headless layback.
    Jerri Campbell 1988 Skate America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMxDGfHilM

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

For me it's a toss up of Sumners and Kadavy.
    Ahhhhh, I'm a sucker for lovely lines so it's Kadavy for me.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Sumner was okay sometimes, but not spectacular. I actually enjoyed her more as a pro.

Debi was my favorite amateur lady from that era...what with her "street smarts" and all :lol:.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That street smart musicality was very exciting.

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I hear she carried her switchblade in her left skate :p...

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That's no joke. Debi never went out there to lose.

9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Sounds like her choreography was done by a Fly Girl :lol:

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Well, she couldn't cut up Witt's Debi Thomas voodoo doll with a barrette, could she?

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

12. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I've always had a soft spot for Elaine Zayak, so I voted for her.

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Rosalynn was the most boring skater of all time. One of my least favorite skaters ever, sorry to offend some people on this forum like skateboy and Olympic who love her. I am so glad she choked at the 84 Olympics and made those 4 or 5 mistakes she apparently needed to lose the Oly Gold (considering she missed by only .1 even as it was) as the thought of all the attention she would have gotten as a pro all those years as an Olympic Champion is more unbearable than even the thought of Nancy Kerrigan being the Olympic Champion of Lillehammer (which for the record I think Nancy should have been, but am glad as heck in another sense she wasnt).

I loved all of Chin, Thomas, and Kadavy but I would pick Thomas. I loved everything about her, her feisty and in your face personality and skating style, her athletic, her line and power on the ice, her great basics and the quality of her spins and other elements, how she was having a great education and went on to a great career all through this. I like de Vries, I am sorry her career fizzled out after 82. I am one of the few on this forum who seems to actually like Trenary, and I felt bad her career kind of got stuck between two eras, then again while I like her there are many more talented skaters than her who never got a World title, so she didnt end up too badly off. Hill, Zayak, Campbell, I dont have any strong feelings of love or dislike either way.

14. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I voted for Tiffany Chin. She was everything that I love in a skater.

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I wonder if Johnny would vote for Priscilla Hill.

16. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Didn't Elaine also win the 1984 Worlds bronze?

17. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

She did.

18. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I had a tough time choosing between Thomas and Kadavy, I had no idea they be the top vote getters! I went with Thomas because she had the better competitive career. Kadavy was an awesome pro and for me had many more memorable pro programs than Thomas, but Thomas's Wanda program is a standout.

19. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:confused: I am as far from "loving" Rosalynn Sumners as it gets. Definitely not a fan, not even close! From that era, I'm a Zayak fan.

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I thought Rosalyn was very engaging and enjoyable to watch in her 82 and 83 LPs. She totally deserved those National Championships and the 83 World title also.

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Are you referring to me?? Good God, no! Roz is definitely NOT a favorite of mine! She's an all-American version of Laura Lepisto.

I actually preferred Elaine in the early 80s. There was something so earnest and sincere about her skating that made me pull for her. Later in the 80s, I liked Debi for many of the aforementioned reasons, but I also liked Caryn Kadavy who hailed from my hometown!

22. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

Sumners is one of my favorite skaters. I love her free skates from 1982 US Nats and the 1984 Olympics. Very polished, effervescent, and musical.

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't get the Rosalynn hate. I think in 1982-1984 she was pretty good in a throw back to Tenley Albright way. A couple things about her were bad: her air position on her jumps and her inflated estimation of her own greatness. She was not on the level of Tiffany Chin, and that may be why people are so harsh toward her.