Who is the woman version of Patrick Chan?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by DickButtonFan, Nov 28, 2010.

?

Who is the female Patrick Chan?

1. Kiira Korpi

18 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Carolina Kostner

97 vote(s)
    55.7%
  3. Alissa Czisney

30 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Other

29 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

...Meaning who can have major falls/errors and still win?

(This thread is not meant to be taken seriously.)

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yuna?

3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

There is no human being who could possibly be as good as Patrick Chan, so it is a moot point. :drama:

(This post is not meant to be taken seriously. :p)

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Patricia Chan?

:p

5. dundas

dundas Banned Member

double-jump-queen Lepisto. :lol::lol: I would say her scores are more Chanish. Chan has at least tried some hard jumps and occasionally landed them. Lepisto, not so much, we are back to 60s.Lepisto's jump content is an embarrassment.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Kostner is simply taking advantage of the CoP by doing what little she can very cleanly. I don't see that as being the same as falling 4 times in a competition and still winning over clean skates by very good skaters. I don't even like Kostner but I don't feel she has been held up like Chan has. Korpi also does what she does well enough to win or place well. I don't know if the women have an equivalent right now and for that I am thankful.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Occasionally I have seen Carolina get high marks even with mistake filled programs but not with falls.

I thought Laura Lepisto was overmarked last year when she doubled many jumps; they would have been falls had she tried to do 3 rotations, but she did not actually fall.

P.S.- I am not taking this thread seriously either.

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'd say she's more the female Takahashi.

Joannie Rochette is the female Chan. They both have gorgeous basics and transitions, but he's 3a challenged and she's 3lz challenged, he falls a lot and she pops a lot, and even when they mistakes, they both always score well, especially at Skate Canada,

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ummm .. do I have to pick a skater? :)

pinky - you may be onto something about Joannie and Patrick. I do so lurve to watch both of them skate.

Hmmmm ... the choices are such gooooood ones, and the write-in ones even moreso. I choose Carolina only because
    - I've seen her skater more often
    - I've seen her implode more often than other women skaters
    - it has seemed to me that she gets the benefit of a doubt on her PCS in spite of her falls
    - she too apparently just flies across the ice (now I can't say for sure, never having seen her skate, but I'm told she is fast and I know that Chan IS fast having seen him about 3 times live).

Yep, it seems Carolina and Patrick make a good pair according to my analysis.

And this post is totally done with tongue in cheek and not meant to be serious.

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Huh? :confused: What international competition has Joannie ever won by falling all over the place? I'd like you to name even one.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a female counterpart to Patrick, not even Carolina or Lepisto. Not really the same situation.

(Okay, I guess that was my serious answer to a non-serious thread!)

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If such a female skater existed in recent memory it would be Sasha Cohen I guess. Except her basics are nowhere near his (but her musicality and sheer beauty of her skating is far superior).

13. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Voted for "Other": I see Laura Lepisto as the closest.

14. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Yuna didn't fall 4/6 times in a single competition and managed to win. :p:rolleyes:

15. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

But Sasha never won anything :shuffle:

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

There's no one.
    Patrick Chan's basics are unmatched. :p

17. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

So are his falls. :p

meggonzo, Allen, heo-wikki and 7 others like this.
  18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan
    Irina Slutskaya
    (when not competing against each other)

Peggy Fleming

19. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan is one of the most consistent skaters in the history of sport, in my opinion.

Also, MK was an incredible competitor. One of the fiercest. I wouldn't categorize Chan as great competitor nor a consistent skater.

I voted for Korpi. She has excellent basic, good IN and PE but consistency regarding jumping is similar to Chan. Also, she does not seem to suffer in he PCS scores in some of the categories due to popped jumps.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  20. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan is one of the most consistent skaters in the history of sport, in my opinion.

Also, MK was an incredible competitor. One of the fiercest. I wouldn't categorize Chan as great competitor nor a consistent skater.

I voted for Korpi. She has excellent basic, good IN and PE but consistency regarding jumping is similar to Chan. Also, she does not seem to suffer in he PCS scores in some of the categories due to popped jumps.

Carolina has lost competitions due to her failed jumps and the judges are not so forgiving to Caro as they are Chan or Korpi.

21. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't think there is one now, but I found that Joannie Rochette could often have major technical errors and maybe get a higher placement than it looks like she should have. However, it wasn't as extreme as with Chan. I don't remember her falling and winning anything other than Canadian Nats.

22. dundas

dundas Banned Member

Korpi may be pretty but she doesn't have 'excellent' or even 'good' basic. She doesn't get down to the knees and her stroking is very stiff.

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:confused: Winning U.S. nationals, the Grand Prix Final, and a bunch of GPs counts for nothing?

24. L'amour

L'amour New Member

I was going to sau Yuna buuut...

I'm voting for Caroline. I don't get her skating at all;

25. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Caroline Zhang?! :eek: Her PCS have never gone higher than 53, I think!

26. briancoogaert

And there is absolutely no doubt : she deserves her bad PCS ! :lol:

27. pinky166

Not winning but at the Olympics she won bronze with a messy FS, at 09 Skate Canada she had a bad FS and still won gold, at 09 Worlds she had a huge SP score without doing a 3-3 and that also happened at 09 SC where she had a margin of like 7 points over Alissa in the SP even though they were both clean and landed the same jumps. And some of her scores at Canadian Nationals have been overly humongous.

Don't get me wrong Joannie is a wonderful skater, it just seems like sometimes her scores are a little too high for programs that usually are not clean.

28. Artifice

Artifice Guest

No lady actually is in the exact same situation than Chan but Lepisto is close.
    She can rank very well without the jumps. Embarrassing indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
  29. briancoogaert

:rofl:
    messy with 7 triples, 6 perfectly done including a 3/3 sequence, a 2Axel and everything else level 3 or 4 ?
    Well, you have a weird vision of what is a messy program. ;)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. pinky166

I remember she had a number of step outs, left out a combination, etc and yet she still scored above Mirai who was totally clean....maybe my wanting Mirai to win bronze has fogged my memory though.