Who Is the Queen of Skating Moms

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Squibble, Aug 29, 2010.

?

Who Is the Queen of Skating Moms?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2010.
  1. Momma Henie

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Momma Heiss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Momma Fleming

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Momma Chin

33 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. Momma Lipinski

15 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Momma Harding

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Momma Bobek

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. La Mère Joubert

22 vote(s)
    12.4%
  9. Momma Leung

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  10. Momma Zhang

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  11. Momma Kim

56 vote(s)
    31.5%
  12. Other (please identify)

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Mama Chin - just incredibly pushy, non-smiling, making her daughter cry a lot, etc, etc. For ex., in Nationals competitions of the 80s fans were able to take the same buses between the hotel and arenas, where many of us would see her be harsh with the daughter OR say catty things to family of Tiffany's close competitors, such as Debi Thomas' mom and brother. [Chin & Thomas went up-the-ranks in tandem and both were from California, so it went way back I believe.] later (85 or 86) CBS captured Mama Chin trying to tell Tiffany what to say during a fluff interview, with mama trying to tell the cameraman to stop filming (something like that). It only showed a sliver of the character that folks saw in hotel lobbies, buses and such. That said, I have no doubt that the mother did everything for the love of the Tiffany but it made many people so uncomfortable.

At Pittsburgh Nationals in 83, I remember one time when we saw Mama Chin get on the bus right before the doors closed, a famous competitor sitting behind me & my mom said in earshot of several persons, "Hey, we just hit the jackpot!"...and half of the bus roared with laughter. Ah, memories of Nationals long gone!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I also vote Chin. Any mom who ignores the extent of her child's injuries, then makes up her own diagnosis, is in parent-from-hell hall of fame in my eyes.

5. Muffin

Muffin New Member

Tiffany was talking about why she'd done badly in a certain competition and Mama Chin interrupted to tell Tiffany she was full of shit and yell at her for having been unprepared for the competition.

6. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Sometimes they quote it as it is but really rare.

The Japan Times, Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009

7. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Since when did Yuna's sister become a 'public figure'? She has carried on with her own life and managed to stay out of spot light. I wish the same could be said about a sister who constantly appears on her sister's show despite not being able to land a proper double toe to save her life. :p

ITA with you on this one.
    I've even heard rumors that say some skating parents have been involved in show business of the sleaziest kind. :scream: I won't share the details now and I hope discussing non-skating life of skaters' family does not escalate to the extent where I just might decide to do so.

8. floskate

floskate Vacant

Try the following link to see Cecilia's Mother bigging her up to the press. I do love this clip :lol:

http://www.movietone.com/N_search.cfm?ActionFlag=back2ResultsView&start=1&pageStart=1&totalRecords=17&V_DateType=1&V_DECADE=1929&V_FromYear=1928&V_QualifySubject=&V_storyNumber=&V_TermsToOmit=&V_ToYear=1980&V_searchType=1&V_MainSubject=Cecilia%20Colledge&V_Year=1928&V_resultsPerPage=30

9. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

I think he also sponsored Nicole Bobek at one point. :D

10. Squibble

Squibble New Member

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

He also gave Tonya Harding Financial aid.

12. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Momma Kim wins! :respec:

Louis Stong has been vindicated! :cheer2:

Momma Kim is the :glamor: of Skating Moms!

Yes, she may be the flavor du jour, she may be :glamor: for a day, and maybe Momma Chin wuzrobbed, but take heart, everyone!

In this day and age, every little girl can grow up to be the :glamor: of Skating Moms!

;)

13. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I don't know. At least Yu-Na, Asada, Joubert, and any number of the skaters won World and/or Olympic Championships. It takes a real Skate Mom From H-E-L-L to take a skater as talented as Bobek or Bonaly and screw them up so badly that they NEVER win a World or Olympic crown.