Who Is the Queen of Skating Moms

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Squibble, Aug 29, 2010.

Who Is the Queen of Skating Moms?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2010.
  1. Momma Henie

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Momma Heiss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Momma Fleming

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Momma Chin

33 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. Momma Lipinski

15 vote(s)
    8.4%
  6. Momma Harding

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Momma Bobek

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. La Mère Joubert

22 vote(s)
    12.4%
  9. Momma Leung

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  10. Momma Zhang

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  11. Momma Kim

56 vote(s)
    31.5%
  12. Other (please identify)

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Someone in another thread suggested that some Skate Canada official could be sued for calling Yuna Kim's mother the "Queen of Skating Moms." As I learned in law school, you can always sue, but you can't always win. Also, truth is a defense to a claim for defamation. ;)

That raises the question: Who is the Queen of Skating Moms? I propose that we solve it with a poll. For purposes of this poll, we will be using the skater's last name, which isn't necessarily the mother's.

:watch:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, so I didn't read the moms part ;-) I think I have to vote for Suzanne Bonaly

3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Wow this is difficult I can't decide

4. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Dang! I left out the adoptive moms -- Bonaly and McDonough! :wuzrobbed

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Marjorie Chin takes the cake, IMO. :slinkaway

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

This is not a vote . . . It was Pappa Henie, not Momma Henie.

7. Squibble

Squibble New Member

8. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

9. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

We should separate them by weight class. :EVILLE:

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

What about Michelle Cho mom?

11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

double post

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Carole Yamaguchi. Daughter followed Mom's tradition of giving her children Anglo first names but Japanese middle names.

13. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Brenda Kerrigan.

14. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

15. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

You forgot Mama Cohen! :rofl:

This is too difficult to vote on.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Since too many moms like McDonough, Bonaly, Jutta Muller and Poppa Henie (first skating mom no matter his gender) were left off I voted for Mama Chin.

I don't know if she was the greatest (or worst depending on your perspective) but she was the first to break though to wider fame and became the public face of Skating Moms from Hell for a generation.

17. coolmoom

coolmoom New Member

a Real Queen is Mao's MoM.

The last I heard she was still...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

kirarinne likes this.
  18. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I think like all "Greatest Ever" polls, this should leave out current Skating Moms and just concentrate on the historic figures.

19. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Why was Jutta Muller left off the list, she was a skating mom _and_ coach. How terrifying is that?

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Squibble

Squibble New Member

:EVILLE:

You forgot about the reason for this poll:

A head-to-head between Momma Kim and Momma Asada might be interesting, though. :p

21. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:D It was Louis Stong who was quoted as calling Yuna's mum the queen of all skating mothers..he's always given articulate , well considered opinions before, besides being gentlemanly in his demeanor..I'm sure he knows his skating history ( he's been around for a lot of it ,hasn't he ? )..So I figure he knows whereof he speaks , and let him sway me just a smidge in casting an otherwise very difficult vote..;)

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The Mère Joubert, because she influences her son even when she doesn't want to !

23. bek

bek Guest

:lol: Well I definetly think there is truth to Stong's words but I also suspect her probably heard a lot more personal stories about Mama Kim than he's heard about lets say Mama Joubert, given the close proximity...

However, I will say this, I think there's a difference between a skating mother who is horrific to deal with, and a skating mother/parent who make destructive decisions that sabatoge a child's career AND is horrific to deal with.

Say what you will about Mama Kim and how horrific she is to deal with Orser didn't dump them, she dumped him. So for that at long she has something on Mama Chin. And Yu-na I think it can be said has fulfilled her potential as a skater-something that cannot be said about Brian Joubert.

Mama Kim at the very least wasn't dumb enough to dump the good coach during the Olympic year and go coachless-see Danny Kwan. And I think in general given how great Yu-na was, when Yu-na came from a country without a strong figure skating history, that really has to be attributed to Mama making good coaching decisions and decisions in general from the start. The woman may be horrible person to deal with, she may be a b*tch, but maybe she had to be to get her daughter as good as Yu-na is.

While we may not like Mama leaving Orser, it doesn't mean that the woman doesn't have her reasons. It doesn't mean Brian is a bad coach or anything ilke that but her reasons could be wanting someone with less students, someone better suited to help Yu-na get the 3loop back etc. (something she may need) The woman strikes me as a cold enough person, where she would dump a coach, even a coach who has done a lot if she thought it would make Yu-na better. Although to be frank, while Orser is a brilliant coach, Mama Kim DID help move his coaching career much faster, so while he may be emotional and angry, I refuse to see how he didn't benefit from Mama Kim giving him the job.

In general, I can actually sort of understand why Yu-na might actually be willing to follow her mother's instincts on coaching decisions and that like, even if she hates how controlling her mother is. I can't understand why Michelle was willing to go along with being coachless at the Olympics (and its not about hating Michelle)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  24. stillalive

stillalive Active Member

Tough choice, but I think Chin's hellMom takes this.

25. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Mama Mcdonough. She's like Jimmy McElroy's step father, only not fictional.
    Someone suggested her as Kim's new coach in another thread, and I was like 'Nah, she doesn't do sweaty leftover!':EVILLE:

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Do we have to pick just one?

27. minneapolis

minneapolis Banned Member

Mao's Mon is the queen of the figureskating Mom world.

1.3Times coach changing

2. 2010/11 season Mao Asada Rule

3.OLympic campaign Money..etc.

28. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

There is something here that NEEDS to be corrected because it is SEXIST!!!

It was PAPA Henie, not Mama, who totally programmed everything for Sonja including loading the judging panel in her favor and negotiating her financial deals. PAPA was the original skateparent from hell!!!! Give the XY skaterdad his due!!!!! :D:D:encore:

29. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Oui! She got my vote, too... :D

30. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

:yikes: Did I piss off some group of people by talking about Mummy Asada? :lol:
    Obviously, some lunatics think Mummy Asada is invincible and beyond criticism. Guess what? I’m only referring to Tarasova who happens to be one of the greatest skating minds ever.

Your act of foolishness has prompted me to add Tarasova’s comments to my signature. Maybe this will teach you to think twice before talking rubbish about other people's parents.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    kirarinne likes this.