Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pinky166, Dec 8, 2010.

?

Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

1. Evgeni Plushenko

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Evan Lysacek

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Brian Joubert

33 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Nobunari Oda

13 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Kevin Van Der Perren

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  6. Kevin Reynolds

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. Michal Brezina

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  8. Other - please identify in post

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of talk about Miki Ando lately and her wins, no connection to the music, jumping lessons, lack of real programs, etc. So I'm curious to see who people think is her male counterpart. I'm gonna say Joubert, but Oda and KVDP get honorable mentions.

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

KVDP. An exceptionally gifted jumper, but not much else. He is much worse than Ando.

3. pinky166

Yeah I was originally thinking KVDP, but Miki actually manages to win a lot of medals despite her lack of everything else, and Kevin doesn't, which is why I said Joubert. He doesn't have much to offer besides his jumps but he has still managed to earn a lot of medals that way.

4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Preaubert should be on the list.

5. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

None of the options were correct, but I voted KVDP as the closest approximation. Clearly Miki is Jan Hoffmann, though: wonderful jumper, terrible skater, fabulous human being.

6. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I usually refer to Brandon Mroz as the male version of Miki Ando when I talk to casual fans who only watch figure skating during the Olympics. They laugh at first but after watching his programs, soon understand why such prestigious title is appropriate for him.

7. WayCon

WayCon New Member

I have to say my first thought, even before I saw the choices, was KVDP, though, of course, the comparison is not perfect. But they are both big jumpers, who land heavily on the ice. Miki completes hers more regularly.

8. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

The very first skater I thought of when I read the title of this poll is Mroz. Whenever his performance is shown on the CBC, I have a really hard time staying awake. :yawn:

I'm not a fan of Joubert by any means, but I admit that he's very entertaining when he skates to techno music, so over-all, I'd say that he doesn't deserve to be equated with Ando's level of blandness. But that's just my opinion, of course.

9. pinky166

Mroz hasn't had the success that Ando has though, although he is young and potentially could in the future. Also, his jumps are small, just consistent, so he's more like Rachael Flatt IMO. The comparison with Preaubert is interesting but again, what man has won a world medals (including a title), GP medals, GPF medals, and national medals through jumping and not much else. I still say Joubert. Oda can be pretty boring too at times.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think this thread is more about a skater who goes from one jump to the next with little to zero ability to relate to the music and not so much about how many titles one has won. In this sense I can see Mroz as being the equivalent of a Miki Ando.

11. pinky166

Well, in that respect, Mroz makes sense. When I created the thread I was thinking more, what male skater goes from one jump to the next without trying to relate the music and still has racked up a lot of impressive medals. I guess it just goes to show how weak the ladies event generally is in the jumping department.

12. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? Of all, Preaubert? Did you watch any of his programs recently or even pre-2008? He may seriously lack basic skills compared to others, but "no connection to the music" or "lack of real programs"? Boy, I do want what you're smoking.

13. officialcoach

officialcoach New Member

Timothy Goebel and non other!!

14. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.

15. pinky166

In 2007 when she won worlds, she was, are you kidding? She may not be anymore now that she's almost scary thin but in 2006-2007 she was a jumping machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYoQfnCHHc
    70+ for TES, enough said.

16. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Other. She reminds me of Johnny Weir in the last couple of years. Empty Choreography, lackluster skating, and solid jumps.

And Johnny used to be interesting in the good old days... :drama:

17. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

In 2007 she was a great jumper, but she wasn't better than Yuna & Mao meanwhile Brian's jumps were the best among all men.

Hmm... 2007 WC wasn't a good example because his FS wasn't even first, but he proved with his FS from CoC that he's the best jumper.

18. pinky166

True. But in 2007 we had some of the strongest ladies jumpers ever competing at Worlds, Yuna, Mao and Miki are all exceptional in the jumping department - or were in 2007.

19. pinky166

I thought Johnny's programs last season were interesting and beautiful.

20. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

you're right pinky, you're right ;)

21. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:blah: You always have to bring Miki's weight up. Why don't you talk about Christina Gao's weight instead? :rolleyes: She's the one who needs to eat.

22. pinky166

Some people are naturally thin, and some are not. Mao and Yuna (and Christina Gao) are really thin but have always been really thin. Miki used to be much sturdier with a womanly build, and now she's a stick. She wasn't fat before, that was just the way she was built, but now just looking at her face with those sunken in cheeks you can tell that she isn't meant to be so thin. She was also a better jumper before she lost weight. She looks so gaunt now.

Christina Gao is also 16 and just went through a huge growth spurt (9 cm according to her ISU bio), so it's expected she'd be a little gangly.

23. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Miki's cheeks have always been like that. Sure, Miki has lost some weight in the last few years, but I think it's normal, especially for an athlete. Miki is not "almost scary thin", in my opinion.

As for Christina, well, I think she could use some extra pounds, especially for someone who is still developing.

24. pinky166

Hmm well back on topic, I thought of another comparable male skater, Ryan Bradley. Except Miki isn't as funny.

25. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I voted Joubert, though he has also better footwork sequences IMO.

As for the weight, I don't think she has lost so much in the last years, I think she has also grown in height, and I don't see her so "scary thin".

26. NMURA

NMURA Member

Ando in 2006-2007 was definitely one of the strongest jumper. Perhaps, Ito , Slutskaya and Asada of their peaks can match. She landed the 4S in worlds official practices (which the TC warranted good enough to be ratified). You can't compare with someone who even can't do a solo 3loop.

27. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

you are way off. not even close.

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Miki's jumps are just ok? Who else is better jumper than Miki? Miki's one of the very few lady that does all 5 different triples. Her jumps are big and she has no weird technique on any jumps. She is also one of the few ladies who landed two sets of different 3/3s in a program.

29. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Be more specific, please.
    I don't remeber watching any lady do a two diffferent sets of triple-triples in a program, not since inception of IJS at least.

30. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She's done a 3lutz/3loop and 3toe/3toe back in 2004..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010