Who Is the King of Skating Dads?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Squibble, Aug 31, 2010.

?

Who is the king of skating dads?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2010.
  1. Poppa Cho

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Poppa Czakó

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Poppa Henie

22 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Poppa Kwan

49 vote(s)
    55.7%
  5. Poppa Robertson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Poppa Trenary

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  7. Poppa Weiss

9 vote(s)
    10.2%
  8. Other (please identify)

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Squibble

Squibble New Member

As promised in the Skating Moms thread, I pose the question: Who is the king of skating dads?

Both polls will be open until the evening of Sept. 2nd, Pacific Daylight Time. I'm giving this one a short run because it should be a much easier choice.

Some background information on some of the dads is available here.

:watch:
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Pappa Henie.
  3. jlai

jlai Title-less

Poppa Henie
  4. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  5. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Ok, I voted for you. :lol:
  6. jlai

jlai Title-less

You're the King of Pap. :p
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Papa Baldwin.
  8. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I voted for Poppa Kwan, because I know more about him than some of the others. I do think he was an annoyingly aggressive skate dad, and I've always felt it was he that was behind the decision for Michelle to take the senior test, against Frank's wishes, which was not cool. An eleven-year-old doesn't negotiate such things on her own. (Before any Kwaniacs attack me, I admit I have no proof of this. Just a hunch.)

Trenary always bugged me. All his crap about "I wish Jill didn't skate." For one, if he didn't mean it, it was a stupid thing to say. And if he did mean it, it shows a very unsupportive parent. I always wondered if it affected Jill negatively.

Poppa Weiss was always present, but he always appeared, to me anyway, as a really supportive parent who was proud of his son's accomplishments.

And I have no idea who Poppa Cho is, or what skater he fathered.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Honorable mention to Papa Zayak.
  10. skateboy

Oh yeah, he was basically an ass to Elaine. Must've been something growing up with that breath of fresh air breathing down your back...
  11. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Who's Papa Robertson? And Papa Cho? :confused: TIA!

-Bridget
  12. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

My grandpa was norweign and he pronounced sonja Henie's last name as hine-ee. I think he just did that for a joke tho....

Anyway I pick mr. kwan :)
  13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I remember Jill's dad said, "not bad for a fat kid" when she won her world title.
  14. Squibble

Squibble New Member

The fathers of Ronnie Robertson and Michelle Cho. There's a little bit about them in the other thread.
  15. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Sport: Mothers & Daughters
    Monday, Mar. 26, 1956, Time Magazine

16. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Now we need a category for "Queen of Skating Wives". (Such as Plushenko or Weiss).
  17. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

And skating husbands like Jeff Gilooly... although, with him there may be no competition...

-Bridget
  18. ciocio

ciocio New Member

It´s useless! Plushenko´s wife will win hands down. Besides, she fits perfectly into the "Queen of Skating Moms" thread.:rolleyes::D (Plushyfans will kill me for this :))
    Unfortunately I don´t know many things about Weiss´ wife. :(
  19. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

Papa Hughes.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

It's between Henie & Kwan. Henie is known by more people around the globe for his antics with ISU judges and making sure his darling daugher won gold medals, so I vote for him. However, Kwan gets Honorable Mention as he even served as his daughter's COACH for a while, sitting in the Kiss n' Cry.
  21. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

All I know about Mrs. Weiss is that she was (maybe, still is) Michael's choreographer. However, I don't think that less-than-stellar choreography is determinative of this issue.
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That is very Mrs. :mitchell:
  23. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Papa Henie, for sure.

If Marjorie Chin is the Dragon Lady, what does that make Papa Henie? The Nordic Nightmare? :slinkaway
  24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're remembering this correctly? I do not recall this at all. Was it in a fluff piece on ABC?

----

My pick is Poppa Weiss. He posed for Play Girl (not completely nude), and was always wearing those tight, tight knitted shirts and dark shades on TV. It was like, "Ok, we got it. You pumped Irons manly man."
  25. floskate

floskate Vacant

Papa Henie, NO competition on this one!! :scream:

:lol:
  26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I don't know the dynamics of how/why Michael decided to use her as his choreographer and I would have liked to see him try other people more often, but the times I've met Lisa she seems to be very funny and self-deprecating. In addition, I know she puts in tons of time each year working on the Michael Weiss Foundation show, so :cheer: for that.
  27. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Thank you Garden Kitty. Lisa Weiss is a really nice person, has a very happy family (great kids) and works her butt off on Michael's Foundation which supports developing talent.
  28. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

29. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

The Nordic Nightmare. :rofl:

Sonja Henie's father was something else. I'm not sure if he actively pushed her, but he managed her career and most likely spoiled her rotten as a kid.

Danny Kwan was the epitome of the stereotypical first generation Chinese American dad, but telling you're daughter that she'll be an embarrassment to her country if she doesn't win gold is pretty harsh.
  30. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I don't exactly remember what year it was; probably 2000 when Michael Weiss had to qualify at Sectionals in Pittsburgh. His father was singularly one of the most annoying persons. When Michael was skating, he would stand through the entire performance with his hands in his pocket, regardless of who needed to see around him :rolleyes:
  31. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

I picked Papa Henie over Papa Kwan...if Mr. Kwan was as big of a bad-a$$ skating dad as Mr. Henie and had the same kind of politikal pull with the judges, then Michelle would've also been been a two-time Olympic Champ and the 1995/1997/2002 World Champ (with the exact same skates). Since Mr. Kwan didn't have that kind of power and Mr. Henie did...
  32. jlai

jlai Title-less

Actually a lot of Chinese parents use negative psychology on their kids. It's not for me to judge that one comment. Besides, Kwan seems a pretty tough cookie. Now if Kween were fragile and Kwan dad used that on her I would be mad.
  33. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

What's wrong with having his hands in his pocket...? :confused:
  34. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol: How bad arse are you then?
  35. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Right. Publicly, at least, the Kwan kids seem to be psychologically and emotionally healthy (whatever that means) and don't seem to harbor any ill-will towards Papa Kwan. At least, Michelle Kwan got a great work ethic and seems like she has a lot confidence because of it as opposed to in spite of it.

That doesn't mean Papa Kwan wasn't responsible for some bad decisions, but like many skating parents, they didn't do it out of maliciousness or serious attention-seeking. Papa Kwan has been accused of the greed angle for quite some time (especially with the Riedel skate situation which I believe was out of naivete over the impact of switching boot brands), but until I see some patterned behavior with concrete evidence (like Frank Carroll stating that money was the reason- which he publicly gave other reasons like Kwan and him butting heads or having differences in training but not money) then I'm not so quick to say that Papa Kwan was necessarily greedy.
  36. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, Papa Henie, for sure.
  37. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

What exactly is Papa Henie known for? What did he...do? :watch:
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  38. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Ensuring that judgeing panels had lots of skaters from Sonja's home country among other things.

Papa Weiss would have been my second choice. Not many remember that Michael's sister also used to compete. I heard of a story about someone whose friend competed against said sister. Friend competed at Sectionals and got the last spot for Nationals, Michael's sister coming in just behind her. While friend's Mom was with daughter assisting her in getting changed to go home, officials and friends ran in telling her to grab her daughter and get the hell out of there, because Papa Weiss was on the warpath and on his way over. No joke, they were told to run for their own safety.
  39. skateboy

Wow! What was he going to do? :watch:
  40. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Thank you! :encore: