Who Is the Greatest Ice Dancer Ever

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gene, May 17, 2010.

1. Gene

Gene New Member

Through #60

Chris 8
    Oksana 5
    Olivier 3
    Maxim 2
    Angelika 1
    Evgeni 1
    Maia 1
    Marina K 1
    Maurizio 1
    Tatiana 1

Regarding Povilas, are you voting your preference for him as the greatest ice dancer ever--in lieu of being the greatest of his time or greatest male ice dancer? Do you think he is the greatest ice dancer ever?

2. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Vanagas was good, but I always found his skating to be a bit heavy and slow, and his style and expression to be somewhat generic. I never felt he pulled off any of the OD styles that believably (for all the bashing of him as a weak partner, Mauri could present a kickass Latin OD and Quickstep/Foxtrot OD), and nothing he did in any of their FDs really stands out to me other than him being a very solid skater and partner. I don't quite see him in the very exceptional Grishuk/Dean range.

I do think he was held back a bit by Drobiazko both technically and stylistically; it was obvious that after the halfway point in the Tango FD that he was pulling her through the difficult parts.

snowbird and (deleted member) like this.
  3. matti

matti Active Member

Christopher Dean

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Vanagas has beautiful edges, and was very smooth, but I agree that Drobiazko held him back, even more so stylistically than technically, and there was quite a technical gap. It was interesting that he waited for her to match him, somewhat in vain, unlike Virtue and Moir, where Moir was several years ahead of Virtue, who, I think, not only caught up with him but surpassed him this season, and might have last year had she not been injured. (He never held back a thing, even when she looked juniorish by comparison.) She showed glimpses of :rockstar: in the Pink Floyd. I think Vanagas was best in the close-up voidy Rakhama/Kokko shows.

I think it's interesting that some of the dancers cited as best had either visibly weaker partners -- although I enjoyed watching Margoglio so much, regardless of his technical flaws -- or, in the case of Dean, was a creative force in the way his partner wasn't.

For me, it would have been impossible to choose between Klimova and Ponomarenko, and I liked Ovsiannikov as much as Krylova. I don't think Zhulin was particularly weak, but he wasn't as :swoon: as Usova.

5. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

No votes for Peter Tcherneshev?! I demand a recount! :soapbox:

I'll throw in another vote for Scary Babs.

6. piano18

piano18 New Member

I am not a fan of Drobiazko/Vanagas. Both him. And her.

Also do not like Barbara Fusar-Poli. She's ok. Margaglio's deficiency made her look that good.Only lasting memory I have of Babs is her horrible dye job in Torino 2006 CD!!

OTOH........Let's discuss the talents. So many talented women!

Tatiana Navka's very CLASSIC skating technique makes me :swoon:. And her posture too. Very good balance of tension and ease to move like that. That and her divine basic skills. As Natalia Dubova once called her in 2005, "the last ballerina of figure skating".

Pakhamova: the music simply flows from this woman. Her dance abilities were peerless, all aspiring junior dancers should watch her. But voting for her would require me to research all the great predecessors before her. :lol:

And of course, Grishuk, Klimova, Krylova. I simply cannot pick!!

ETA.. the Men.

-Olivier Shoenfelder: excellent in skating skills, he and Delobel were the best technicians in the sport for a period of time...butthey were 4th in every single competition they entered. lol.
    But to NITPICK... Olivier is so tall. But he doesn't use his tall height to his advantage IMO hunching down to make a line that doesn't look nice sometimes. That's all.
    My picks:
    -Staviski, Platov, come to mind. And yes, Dean.

Like the ladies I simply can't choose!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. Gene

Gene New Member

Through #66

Chris 9
    Oksana 7
    Olivier 3
    Maxim 2
    Angelika 1
    Barbara 1
    Evgeni 1
    Maia 1
    Marina K 1
    Maurizio 1
    Tatiana 1

piano18, I hope you don't vote for president the way you vote for the greatest ice dancer ever--who is your choice, it can only be one?

I cast my vote for Oksana.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

"Smarmy" ITA. And his partner is equally aggravating with her innocent perfection act. :rolleyes: Not a fan.

9. Libertango

Libertango New Member

Maxim Staviski

Special mention to A. Zhulin (as much as I hate to admit it) and A. Minenkov.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If it was directed at me, I'm not voting at him. I think Dean has made way much of an impact on the sport.

I do think that he deserves a mention and some recognition even if it's outside of your poll. ;)

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I saw a movie from Lithuania today called "Vortex" in English, "Duburys" in Lithuanian, which was translated in one review as "water hole". The lead actor, Giedrius Kiela, looked like a cross between Vanagas and Michal Brezina.

Back to the poll.

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I remember that french commentator at Eurosport (Philippe Pelissier) used to think that Povilas Vanagas was the best ice dancer of his time, reminiscence of Chris Dean.

13. Snowflake3939

Snowflake3939 New Member

I remember seeing Drobiazko/Vanagas at Worlds in 96 and thinking that the choreography reminded me of Torvill & Dean. Then I saw Betty Calloway and Christopher Dean at the boards with them. So, is there a coaching/choreography connection to Chris Dean?

14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Male: Christopher Dean
    Female: Marina Klimova

15. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Male: Christopher Dean, hands down, with Evgeni Platov a close second

Female: Marina Klimova with Maia Usova a close second.

While I love, love Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue, their best days are yet to come. I'm so glad they are continuing. I don't find Scott Virtue smarmy at all. I think he's comedic, and confident, a little cocky, but then he's an Olympic gold medalist, so maybe he has a right to a little cockiness. Maybe that's translated into smarmy for some of you, but I don't see it that way.

16. casken

casken Well-Known Member

He choreographed for them up until 98 I believe.

17. piano18

piano18 New Member

I've narrowed it down to Grishuk, Dean, Platov, and Klimova.

18. piano18

piano18 New Member

Grishuk it is then.

19. key65man

key65man New Member

I would say, Grishuk and Platov. Is my fanboyism too obvious?

20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

I'm tempted to vote for Torvill and Delobel because they're so underrated compared to their partners...

LadyGray and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Antonella

Antonella New Member

Staviski, Dean

and guys, I think Ben Agosto deserves a special mention here, he is a wonderfull ice dancer.

22. annie_mg

annie_mg Active Member

Definitely Christopher Dean. Even though I have my sentimental favourites (Peizerat, Anissina, Klimova), he revolutionised the sport; he's just a genious.

23. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yes, I <3 Anissina and Peizerat! Their Romeo + Juliet from 1998 is one of my absolute favorite free dances ever!! :swoon::encore::cheer2:

24. Gene

Gene New Member

Through #83

Chris 10
    Oksana 8
    Maxim 3
    Olivier 3
    Angelika 1
    Barbara 1
    Evgeni 1
    Maia 1
    Marina K 1
    Maurizio 1
    Tatiana 1

Reminder: It must be only one person, not best male and best female but a single individual of either gender.

25. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Marina Klimova - she was absolutely breathtaking and mesmerizing on the ice :swoon: :glamor:

26. Gene

Gene New Member

Through #85

Chris 10
    Oksana 8
    Maxim 3
    Olivier 3
    Marina K 2
    Angelika 1
    Barbara 1
    Evgeni 1
    Maia 1
    Maurizio 1
    Tatiana 1

A total of 32 votes have been cast.

27. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I'd pick Christopher Dean. Ice dancing got it's WOW when he took the stage.

28. LaLola

LaLola New Member

Ben Agosto

29. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Well, it's difficult to pick one partner without the other. Great teams are usually equally as talented and balanced. As I have only watched Ice Dancing this past decade and I'm not so familiar with teams from the past I choose Schoenfelder.
    I love Isabel and Olivier together but the way he does simple crossovers and the smoothness and the power without effort in his glide makes him a joy to watch. Besides that he had wonderful long line and charisma on the ice

30. Gene

Gene New Member

Through #89

Chris 11
    Oksana 8
    Olivier 4
    Maxim 3
    Marina K 2
    Angelika 1
    Barbara 1
    Ben 1
    Evgeni 1