Who Is the Better Spinner: Sawyer or Czisny?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Squibble, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Who is the better spinner -- Shawn Sawyer or Alissa Czisny

Poll closed Dec 31, 2010.
  1. Shawn Sawyer

17 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Alissa Czisny

89 vote(s)
    84.0%
  1. Squibble

Squibble New Member

A poll created because I misread the results of the other active poll on spinning. :slinkaway

The best currently eligible man and woman spinners: Shawn Sawyer and Alissa Czisny.

If multiple choice isn't an option, which one would you vote for as the better spinner?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Alissa. Shawn has crazy flexibility, but Alissa has the whole package when it comes to spinning.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Shawn has one beautiful spin -- that one with his leg fully extended. The others are fast, and well centered, but not amazingly beautiful positions. I'm trying to remember a spin variation of Alissa's that I didn't like, and I can't. They're all gorgeous. Maybe she has a future as a spin doctor.

4. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I went with Czisny. Her spins have everything: centering, speed, flexibility, stability, beautifully chosen positions, clean entrance and exit, quick and effortless changes of position.

I would say Shawn Sawyer is the most flexible man, I wouldn't necessarily say he's the best spinner. I don't find him overall better than Kozuka, Abbott or Chan.

5. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Shawn Sawyer can get into positions no other man can..and I mean that in the best way! ;)

Alissa currently, is the best female spinner though. Clean technique, capable of nice variations, and nicely pointed toes...I hope it's not so terrible of me to want her to just..spin. Nothing...else......:shuffle:

6. piano18

piano18 New Member

I've seen Czisny live and her spins are phenomenal- meanwhile Daisuke does not.

7. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Uhh--who mentioned Daisuke? :confused:

8. piano18

piano18 New Member

I saw it and didnt please me. Anyways, maybe someone can do a comparison on youtube video of the best spinners.

9. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Is Alissa the only skater ever to receive a perfect score on a level 4 spin (+3 across the board in her FS at TEB)?

10. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

She already is

11. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

No, Caroline and Mirai have done it before. And I'm sure Stephane has as well.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/wc10_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf -- Mirai's Layback

Eesh, I can't find Caroline's right now, but I'm very certain she's done it before...

12. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

It was her Ave Maria LP at the 2009 WTT, it was gorgeous, she held the bielmann forever.

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Alissa's spins are so well centered, fast and with beautiful positions. That's amazing.

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And Caroline's Layback at the end of her Ave Maria at 2007 Skate America, no ?

15. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Yup, yup, though I preferred when she ended her programs with the layback since it really is her signature move.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Shawn is definitely the best of the men. I think he might be a bit better than Alissa but they're both pretty awesome. Neither is as good as Lambiel in his prime (around like 2005) or Ruh!

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Ruh had amazing spins, but for me they were more about speed (better than anyone else I've ever seen live) and centering -- I still think Alissa wins on the beautiful positions, entrances and exits. (Though I do wish some of the women would try to learn the sideways leaning spin Ruh did.)

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

One nitpick about Czisny's spins - it always takes her forever to grab her free foot when geting into the donut position.

Otherwise, she is the perfect spinner. There's this one huge combo spin she did in her exhibition pieces with about a million changes of positions that I love so much.

19. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Everytime I see the position on Sawyer's I spin, I see future hip replacement! There's something absolutely un-natural about it :p