Who is the better skater: Kwan or Cohen?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shady82, Apr 25, 2013.

1. duane

duane New Member

I guess Sasha was simply a 3rd-rate skater who got as far as she did with pretty spirals and spins. :rolleyes:

2. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Nobody said that. The original question was comparing Sasha and Michelle. Sasha was a good skater. Michelle was better, IMO.

3. duane

duane New Member

No edges, no speed, no glide, wobbly, a gymnast on ice...even a person who wasn't into figure skating could tell she wasn't that good. Oh, and even her spins and spirals weren't all that great, as they traveled, weren't well centered, and had a poor change of edge.

Oh, but what wonderful flexibility she had! :rolleyes:

4. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

If you say so.

5. duane

duane New Member

Oooo....good one.

6. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Now i am a strong hater of both these skaters. But when both were at their prime, kwan was the greater skater. This is easy just by counting the number of world championships

7. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

a strong hater?!

8. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

I havent seen her live but if the people in this thread who have are accurately potraying what her skating looks like live, I would have to say she was probably lucky to achieve what she did even.

However if you just go by her achievements and nothing else she is still nowhere near the skater Kwan, Slutskaya, Kim, Asada are either overall, and even below Hughes, Butyrskaya, Arakawa.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Seriously, people should strongly hate those who abuse children, elderly people, and animals, for example, not figure skaters. :shuffle:

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  10. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Do your students take you seriously?

11. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

With his/her amazingly big hair and plastic "jewel" navel, it's probably impossible not to take that poster seriously. :saint:

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. duane

duane New Member

I have seen her live (attended the 2002 Nationals in LA--with a group of members from the old FSWorld board!) and don't think people are accurately portraying her.

13. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Well as i have had students at JW's and 4CC, yes they do take me seriously. Do you have any students

14. christinaskater

christinaskater New Member

In terms of spiral extensions, posture, drama and spins- it is Sasha Cohen.

But in terms of overall skating... it is a no brainer, it is Michelle Kwan! Michelle Kwan is one of the greats, if not the greatest skater who ever lived!

15. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

I once heard someone say Cohen's only weaknesses were jumping and basic skating. Those are like the two most important things in the sport though, so that already is a huge minus for her. It does show how great she was in many other things she even could achieve what she did, but she can never compare to the truly greatest with weak jumps, weak basic skating, and horrible consistency and being a poor competitor.

16. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I agree with this, and will add that Lyra (though I disliked the music), Ariane, and SOTBS didn't give her much to hide behind, either. She performed each of these programs cleanly at least once, and all were 7 triple programs. I would say she gave absolutely spellbinding performances to at least three of those programs.

Sasha was very bendy, but her hyperextension looked stiff and forced to me, and the line she created seemed static-Her spiral shortened her line instead of creating a long, dynamic line such as Kwan achieved. Watch the feet and you will see the true story. her feet are wobbly and unsure most of the time.

Sasha did a great job and had a wonderful career, but I would put her way below Kwan, Slutskaya, and Arakawa, closer to but still behind Butyrskaya, and more on a level with Sarah Hughes and Jenny Kirk. Simply put, she has weak feet. I always found it curious when she was compared to a ballerina because she was so stiff, hyper extended, and had such crummy feet. Toe point is all fine and dandy, but there's more to feet than point.

Yuka Sato had brilliant feet. Good god, she could turn one into a foot fetishist.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  17. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

I dont think as great as she is Sasha could have pulled off Red Violin, atleast not the way Kwan did.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Although I do believe overall that Kwan was more musical and a better interpreter of music, I don't think Sasha not being able to pull off TRV can be considered a criticism of Cohen since I'm sure many will say Kwan would not have been able to pull off some of Sasha's programs with the same style and attack that Sasha did.

I personally found Sasha's musical interpretation to be a little shallow and at times unconvincing, but I know many others disagree vigorously.

19. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Sasha became way better in choreography and musical intpretation when she began working with Tarasova. Actually I think she went down a bit again once she left her.