Who is prettier?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jun 28, 2013.

?

Who is prettier?

1. Yu Na Kim

72 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Mao Asada

14 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. Miki Ando

16 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Carolina Kostner

11 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. Ashley Wagner

18 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Gracie Gold

32 vote(s)
    18.7%
  7. Kanako Murakami

8 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I thought so too, until it was explained to me that it's only about the current top six ladies in the world + the returning 2011 World champion (Miki Ando). Anyway, if someone made a poll for all female skaters (including pairs skaters and ice dancers), the available twelve options surely would be insufficient.

I think Carolina's beauty is more about her stature, grace and elegance, than about her face. But that's just my opinion. As for beauties from back in the day, don't forget also Katia (if we are speaking about all female skaters). And I almost forgot Shizuka, although I wouldn't describe her as pretty - the word "beautiful" seems more appropriate. I know that she didn't look like she does now when she competed - it's quite obvious that something has been done to her face. But her beauty is more than just her face.

A nice idea :D. I always wonder why many of the polls are only about female skaters. If it was about single skaters, then also some skaters who have already left the competitions could be included ;).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Interesting reflections. Yes, ITA re Katia -- what she exudes from inside adds to her beauty. Some of my earlier comments were tongue-in-cheek, btw. :p

As for Carolina, ITA re her stature, grace, and elegance, but she's also more than just attractive or pretty. Even with her overbite, Carolina IMHO is gorgeous. Sometimes supposed surface defects combine for stunning visual appeal.

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictures/modelshots/carolinakostnerphotoshoot6074ss.gif

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictures/modelshots/rocco8.jpg

This one is very different. It makes her look slightly Asian, but that's probably the effect the photographer was after:
    http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictures/modelshots/rocco1.jpg

All of the above are from Carolina's official website multimedia photo section

I admire women like Steffi Graf and Barbara Streisand who have embraced their looks and found no reason to change the way their noses look, even if they were pressured to think about making changes. Because in fact their noses make them unique and essentially add to their beauty. Also, of course, Steffi had/ has a rockin' gorgeous body and tennis talent, while Barbara had/ has rockin' gifted vocal cords. :) (In contrast, Jennifer Grey seemingly made a mistake changing her looks after Dirty Dancing).

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Motherhood has made her glow ... :)

4. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Carolina is a beautiful, long woman with beautiful hair and perfect skin. I voted for Mao though.

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Interesting and beautiful pics on Caro. And I absolute agree with you on Stefi and Barbra!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  6. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I always thought the appearance changes had more to do with business/marketing and less to do with blinding judges with their beauty.:)

7. Eyre

Eyre New Member

None is truly pretty. If I have to choose one from this list, I'll choose YuNa Kim.

8. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

Since "pretty" means reasonably attractive, I'd say all the skaters listed above fit that category. But if the question were who's beautiful/smoking hot gorgeous among current skaters -- Tessa Virtue and Kira top the list.:)

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I admire this photographer's ability to reconstruct her face in such an unrecognizable manner. That could be a photo of anyone. It is so altered and applied with photographic cosmetic surgery that I'm not sure it has much bearing on a discussion about what Kostner looks like. All of these photos are beautiful though.

10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd have never known that was a photo of Carolina.

11. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I had no idea until I read this thread that people considered Carolina and Tessa beautiful. Carolina is cute but I wouldn't even call her pretty. Tessa is cute, too, but she always looks tired and disheveled to me even before she skates. :lol: Apart from Korpi I don't think any current skaters are beautiful. Many are very, very pretty though.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  12. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Seriously?

http://www.direttaradio.it/70773/ca...-di-figura-fotogallery/carolina_kostner-foto/

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: I am not sure what it is that you're seeing, because to me she always looks like this super-tidy and classy young lady with a perfect look from head to toe and not a hair out of place - even after she has skated, and also off the ice. And I don't remember ever seeing her looking tired. At least not in the way that other, more "ordinary" people look when they are tired :D.

Why do people keep attaching those heavily photoshopped pictures in which Carolina also has a lot of makeup on? I personally wouldn't point to such pictures if I wanted to prove her prettiness/beauty.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  14. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Oh no you didn't!

15. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

16. AndyWarhol

i deliberately picked a "made up" picture, as most pictures we see of celebrities are heavily made up, and I wanted to show her in that same light.

17. Eyre

Eyre New Member

I agree that YuNa Kim is prettier on this list. Too bad that there is no Michelle Kwan on the list. Michelle Kwan is definitely prettier than YuNa Kim.:p

18. HVS

HVS Member

Seriously? :rolleyes:

19. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Seriously. But The only thing I could nitpick on YuNa Kim is her eyes.

20. HVS

HVS Member

Well, then you could add some more words like "in my opinion, for me ...", something like that, because FOR ME, Yuna is MUCH MORE prettier than Kwan :hat1:

21. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

In my opinion, Michelle Kwan is the most beautiful skater of all, with Kristi Yamaguchi a close second.

However, I appreciate women much more for their minds than for their physical beauty.

*Hakk! Hakk! Kaff! Kaff!*

22. munow

munow New Member

I think Kwan's nose is ugly.

23. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

I think you're being ugly.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

THIS.

25. AndyWarhol

I think the prettiest skater is Sasha Cohen.

26. Nupraptor

Nupraptor New Member

Gracie smile is fake.
    Miki teeth is bad.

27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

OMG, how old are you guys? 5?

"Her nose is ugly!" "Her teeth are ugly!" "I think she's the most prettiest pretty in the world."

This is the most juvenile and asinine thread on this board...

28. Nupraptor

Nupraptor New Member

Seriously? Gran! You are old.

29. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Do you mean this thread is asking questions like a 5 year old?:shuffle:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Juvenile and asinine. Thank you for proving my point. ;)