1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who is Johnny talking about?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by foreverkwanfan, Sep 5, 2011.

1. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

Excuse my ignorance, but who is this amazing jumper that Johnny tweeted about here?

Johnny Weir: "Yuzuru-kun is amazing. Quad toeloop-tap-Triple Axel. Unbelievable Fantasy on Ice shows. Thank you Niigata! We love you Japan!"

A quad into a 3 axel?

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

3. mjames

mjames New Member

Yuzuru Hanyu, aka: amazing!

4. luCN

luCN New Member

Japanese male skater Yuzuru Hanyu.He can jump 4T,4S,3A and some out of the world combos so easily :eek::eek::eek:

I think he can be the best jumper in the decade :p

5. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

When will we in US get a chance to see him?

6. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

Thank you. Does he have springs for legs? He is a pretty amazing jumper. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

7. luCN

luCN New Member

He has a big chance to go to the GPF in Canada,maybe people from the USA can go there if he attend?

8. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Hanyu is very, very talented skater, he has the jumps and so much more. I think he is 17 or 18 years of age (maybe younger). I believe he will be contender for a medal in Sochi for sure.

9. Roxanne

Roxanne Member

He is 16. It would be amazing if he made it to the GPF. I would love to see him skate live.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Amazing. He's great!

11. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Looks like a beautiful skater. Gorgeous technique on that axel.

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, as Roxanne wrote, he is 16 and will turn 17 during the season (in December, IIRC). I don't get to watch much junior skating so the first time I saw him was at 2009 Junior Worlds, and though he finished outside the top 10, it was clear he was someone to watch. At the time I thought he was too young too be a contender in time for Sochi, but he's improved so rapidly that I now think he might just do it. It's definitely not just the jumps.

I have read that his asthma can cause problems for him, and I hope that, as well as what must have been a difficult experience during and after the earthquake, won't have too much of an adverse effect on him.

13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Incredible triple axels. Wow. That would be very cool to see in an eligible program.

14. os168

os168 Active Member

Love Love Yuzuru-kun, my pick for Sochi medalist - even hopefully gold :)

He has show great musicality, has a graceful expressive presence on ice that will only age better with time. Yazuru has shown great mature attitude and seem a great guy off ice as well (Not to mention very cute :D)

15. Sylvia

Sylvia The JGP season is here!

Here's the link to an article thread posted back in April: Yuzuru Hanyu: "I was terrified of the natural disaster"

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Wow!! :eek: Yes, sir I'll take some more!

17. Sylvia

Sylvia The JGP season is here!

Here's the complete "Romeo & Juliet" (1996 film soundtrack) program with the 3A+3A sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvf0KIEvryo

Is this a new exhibition by Hanyu? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dqQPGU3ig
    ETA: OK I found out this exhibition took place in early January 2011 -- link to the thread with more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76830

Hanyu's 2011 Four Continents 3rd place FS with 4T (silver medal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FzGuz3Th0

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  18. IceAlisa

Who IS this guy?? Superb basics, amazing tech, outstanding artistry and oodles of on-ice charisma. Have I died and gone to FS heaven???

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There have been a couple of posts that suggest that Hanyu might be the third Japanese man this year. I hope that Kozuka's silver at Worlds last year and his increasing confidence means that it will be a battle between Oda and Hanyu.

20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wow -- great exhibition. He doesn't look in the least juniorish, and I like his skating more than Oda's. I hope his competition nerves are good.

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Possibly? ;) Hanyu really is very talented. Check out his programs from the last few years and you'll see that the potential was always there, and he just keeps improving - so hopefully we'll see him get even better these next few seasons. He seems happy to learn from watching other skaters (you can see some of the inspirations pretty easily, I think) while still retaining his own style.

To add to Sylvia's links, here's Hanyu's 4CC SP, with a gorgeous 3A.

22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

:D
    He is super- talented; he is also still a baby- or was until he got Silver at 4CC last year. It will be most interesting to see how he developes.

23. IceAlisa

I hope to see more of him and to watch his talent flourish.

24. periperi

periperi New Member

I had no idea Yuzuru has problems with asthma. That could explain why he always seems so out of breath towards the end of his long programs. I've always figured it is due to lack of conditioning.

Anyway, wow. He seems to be getting pretty ambitious with his jump combos. Too bad he's said he won't be attempting the 3A+3A combo in competition. I wonder if the same holds true for this new combo?

25. martyross

martyross Active Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  26. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I've been captivated by Hanyu for 2 years now. He loves JWe, and JWe loves him...Johnny's done his comtumes since he came on the scene.

27. shan

shan Well-Known Member

His costumes remind me of Johnny's...

28. BittyBug

BittyBug Losing Faith

Well this is where IJS is ridiculous. If he did 3A+3A (which would be a sequence, not a combo, because you have to change feet for the takeoff of the 2nd axel), it would be discounted by 20%. So despite the fact that the 3A+3A sequence is insanely difficult, it doesn't pay to do it, and he's better off doing the 3A's individually, with one in a true combination.

29. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

30. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

well, I hope he gets his chances soon, because doing those kinds of jumps day after day are going to take a heavy toll on his body. Who is his coach?