Who is best dance team of their generation if Davis & White win Olympic Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chanunderrated, Jun 3, 2013.

Which is best dance team of their time if Davis & White win Sochi over Virtue & Moir

1. Davis & White would be tops

49.3%
  2. Virtue & Moir would still be the best of their generatoin

47.3%
  3. It would go to which team wins 2014 Worlds

3.3%
  1. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Assuming in Sochi Davis & White were to win gold and Virtue & Moir silver who would be the best dance team of their generation. All things considered would it even be decided at the post Olympic Worlds and which team wins there before they both retire. I would consider Davis & White the best though as both are multiple World and Olympic gold and silver winners then, and Davis & White have the Grand Prix final 4 times which Virtue & Moir never won unless they win next season.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's going to be VM probably. Maybe just because they were first. But even in losing they would be the only team that was close to DW.

3. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I think this poll is a loaded question meant to start one huge fight between D/W and V/M fans. There is no winner here.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Didn't V/M say that London worlds would be their last? Either way, there will never be a definite answer to this; it will always come down to who prefers what team. I'll always prefer D/W, while others will always prefer V/M.

5. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Yeah, it'll be dependent on the person who is asked the question and what they prefer. When teams are so close to each other, the answer is never clear. It'll be like any great rivalry in sport ie. In tennis: Martina N. vs. Chris evert, boris becker vs. stefan edberg. All have achievements, wins and losses, health issues etc. Only real domination over someone else clearly defines the best and even then you have different circumstances.

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Amen. The fans on here have long since chosen the team they prefer and no amount of arguing will ever change minds. Nor will it change the opinions of those who don't like either, lol!

7. lola10

lola10 New Member

Agree with everyone who is saying that this a question to initiate a "fan war". Additionally, you cannot simply go by medal record. I don't remember who said it, but a commenter once said about Michelle Kwans 2002 bronze medal win "Success is not always measured by a gold medal". If you go by reputation and the impact on the Figure Skating world than I would say Virtue/ Moir. Remember, they have six straight World Medals.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am going to be the first one to vote for the bottom option. However if V&M have already said they arent going to Worlds it is moot I guess anyway.

9. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I wonder if there can ever be a solid analytic discussion thread here that compares Virtue/Moir and Davis/White without both camps resorting to sentimental name callings.

10. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Both D/W and V/M, in my opinion. They skate with two different styles that pushed ice dance in great directions.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

This.:respec:

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Kwan/Purple

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I honestly think it would be a tie!

14. Angelwings201

Angelwings201 New Member

:respec: Both teams deserve the respect of all fans, not just their own ubers. They have both, with their different styles, pushed ice dance back into the limelight. As fans of the sport of ice dance, that is something that we can all appreciate. They wouldn't have done it as well without that other team.

15. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I would vote for D/W only if they win 2014 Oly and World's because they are going to be so much older and everything is harder when you're older. (Here comes everyone with the list of oldest and older dance champs) but that's not what I'm getting at. I don't think it's harder to become the youngest dance champs today, with acrobatics and flexibility being so important combined with the fall of pre-judged Russian winners. You almost have to be younger. I think it is harder to retain that fire to be at your peak for two Olympics and never take a break. If V/M win this Oly then of course they will be the best. If D/W win Oly and World's then they will be the best. They would have 1 more WC title. They would have 2 less WC medals than V/M but D/W would have 4 more GPF titles than V/M. Though they have more of the top hardware in general, I see V/M's career as less consistent between Oly and World's because of injuries/time off, they have had a lot of ups and downs (even though those "downs" usually resulted in a silver medal.) D/W's length of momentum is impressive. They have been in peak condition for more than two Olympics. Even when D/W get 2nd there have been no huge visible errors or obvious lack of stamina. If D/W win next Oly and World's then there will be no doubt in my mind.

16. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Yes, and they also had different peak moments. :cool:

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I really don't know.... both team deserve this title in my opinion. But I voted for V/M. I saw more emotion in their skating.

18. munow

munow New Member

Virtue and Moir

19. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Echo. :)

Echo. :)

This is how I feel. Both are equally the greatest of their generation. This rivalry has pushed both teams to great heights.

20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Easy - the Reeds
    :rofl:

21. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

You're funny.