Who is a better skater: Alena Leonova or Rachel Flatt?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by krenseby, Jul 14, 2011.

1. krenseby

krenseby New Member

The general public, when watching skaters nowadays, may not so clearly understand which skater is overall better than another. COP is complicated enough that a comparison of any two skaters may lead to a long discussion rather than a quick assessment. Nevertheless, people on this board do have a good feel for what makes one skater better than another and may be able to explain it clearly and succinctly. So let's see how we do with a comparison of the following two skaters: Alena Leonova and Rachael Flatt. Who do you consider a better skater and why? (Note: In answering this question, do not restrict yourself to the last World Championships but consider the way these two women have skated overall over the last two years.)
  2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This thread will turn into a "who is the worst ?" very quickly !
  3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Leonova would have won a medal at Worlds this year without her one mistake. Flatt is not capable of winning a medal at Worlds even skating her best. So I guess Leonova.
  4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Rachael, at her core, is a solid skater. Her technique is a bit weird on a few of her jumps (particularly her lean and rock entrance into her lutz), she lacks speed at times as well, but overall, she's a solid skater. What Rachael lacks is appeal. There's something about her that just doesn't connect with people. I find her a bit boring to watch at times...it's a combination of bad music, choreography, dress, and other factors. She's missing that spark that skaters have that set them apart and make them stand out...

Alena, to me, has decent speed and big jumps. She eerily reminds me of Irina Slutskaya when I watch her skate.:eek: There's an energy and personality about her when she's on the ice that makes her fun to watch. OTOH, there isn't a speck of refinement to her movements. There is nothing graceful or elegant about her skating to me. She's a big ball of infectious energy and that is what she plays to in her programs and it works for her...

So, IMO, I think both skaters have their merits. Similarly, both skaters are lacking certain things. If it comes down to a choice of who I'd prefer to watch, I'd have to go with Alena. I kinda hate her style of skating, but I do find her my-head's-on-fire hair, fingernailed gloves and chicken dance spirals entertaining albeit wholly unrefined. For me, Rachael's skating lacks excitement or feeling which, in turn, makes her a bit blah to watch most of the time...
  5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Without having compared them live, I'd say they're pretty similar. Either one could beat the other on any given day, depending who's having a better day.
  6. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

Leonova has more entertaining hair.
  7. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Leonova is better and a lot more interesting! :cheer2: Flatt completely lost me when she skated to East of Eden and copied Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing (throw your arms out of their sockets without interpreting the music only to leave your audience saying or wondering WTF?! :confused:) in her footwork sequence. :scream:
  8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

All around, Alena Leonova.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Alena Leonova, obviously.

Whilst there are some weaknesses in her skating, she makes up for that with great attack and personality on the ice.

Rachael Flatt just defines bland.
  10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Alena is overall a better skater but lacks Rachael's usual consistency. Alena's definitely more interesting and her skating skills are probably better. Now that Rachael isn't even as consistent as she used to be, I really have to say it's Alena..
  11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Her step sequence got a level 4 for doing a Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing. I'd say it was worth it. ;)

Until last season, only way for skaters to get a level 4 on step sequences was having Lori Nichol put together their own version of Lysacek's cringe-worthy flailing. Just ask Flatt, Kostner, and Chan how they got their level4s and ensuing fat GOE marks.

Thank goodness that the ISU has finally come to realized this and changed rules for level 4 requirements. From next season, skaters will be required to flail through only one-third of their step sequences, not half like they had to until last season.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  13. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I prefer blandness to perkiness, so for me it is Flatt. :slinkaway But it is between apples and oranges, really.
  14. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

To me they both are equally boring skaters, although in a different way. Flatt used to be more consistent, but is she that anymore? She has never been near the podium as Leonova was now (but the Worlds were held in Moscow:rofl:). Leonova has a better looking body type, but her over-the-top perkiness, awful. Neither of them gives the impression of having true feeling towards the music.
  15. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Leonova is the better skater in terns of jump technique and basics.
  16. icewalker08

icewalker08 New Member

17. os168

os168 Active Member

Alena Leonova, she totally entertained me in Moscow. Sure, she was a tat over scored at the time, but who cares!? It wouldn't be the first time skaters been over marked in this sport due to favorable politics, and it is not the skater's fault!

There are different philosophy to performance art and sometimes depends on the theme, it does require a little over the top when you are projecting your performance for the ENTIRE rink right up to the last seat of the rink!

On camera however, yeah - just like filming a theatrical performance at close up, it can come across a little bit unnatural.

Rachel... no comment. The Russian dude next to me was giggling too much, I was severely distracted!
  18. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

They both skate beautiful but Leonova is the better presenter...by a mile.
  19. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Ditto!:)
    Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I never thought of Patrick as flailing..Maybe I am too busy looking at those gorgeous feet of his.
  22. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Rumblefish said Lyscek flailing, not Patrick flailing.
  23. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

You guys smash Rachels teeth into thr ground all the time and i dont get why. ok... She's not dynamic... and her skating does not really "take a stand" but she's a sweat girl and she is a good skater. Why the Passionate disdain?
  24. os168

os168 Active Member

Aren't you over reacting a bit? I see no teeth smashing here...
  25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

In term of skating, I think Leonova is better than Flatt : better edges, better jump quality, stronger on her legs.
    But Rachael is definitely my favorite between the two, she has something really natural that touches me.
  26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Rachael is inspirational because she makes us feel like any one of us could be national champion. Other than that, I must go with Leonova.
    Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:rofl:
  28. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Both are horrendous for me to watch but if I had to choose it would be Leonova. At least I feel something when I watch Alena, even if it's teeth-gnashing horror.
  29. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I often find myself rooting for Leonova, hoping she does well. When she is on, she is voidy and electrifying, capabale of engaging the audience. I like Rachael fine, but rarely root for her the same way ( perhaps because there are several American women I already root for- Mirai, Alissa).
  30. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I don't think Rachael was well served by her choreographers this year, until they re-did her SP - she did well at nationals.

Better competitor, though: Leonova.
    Wild, go for broke attack, never count her out. Her jumps and jump series are terrific. The arm flailing is not good, but that can be tamed, can't it?
  31. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'd say they're pretty comparable, but this season, Alena wins out. I still find her clunky and unfinished, but there's a sense of wild abandonment when she skates, and it's really captivating and appealing when she's "on" and landing her jumps. Rachael OTOH is very controlled and a little bland in her skating, it's nice, but it just doesn't stand out particularly in any aspect. Alena is also more explosive and powerful than Rachael, which again adds to the excitement factor.
  32. a56

a56 New Member

Leonova especially after this past season, even though I don't find either skater too compelling.
  33. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

It seems I belong to a minority here. Both are terrific skaters, but I would go with Rachael.

Alena looks more of an athletic build of the two, but I think Rachael is underrated athletically. I think the two are pretty much equal in technical contents, overall.

Performance-wise, I would give Rachael the edge. Alena has been doing interesting programs, but her performance hasn’t been engaging to me. Many times she looked lacking a command of her choreo, hurried or unfinished. I agree Rachael’s skating is kind of bland at times and her showing at the last Worlds was not great and turned out controversial, but I find her skating fairly polished and connected to the music.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  34. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Rachael !!
    Her movements are more graceful than Leonova's thing.