Who has the best work ethic

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by coppertop1, Aug 18, 2014.

1. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Some skaters have all talent but don't have a great work ethic, and others have both. Which skaters have the strongest work ethic and why?

2. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I think skaters with longevity often have better work ethnic than skaters who won just 1 or 2 competition then retire. (eg: Oksana Baiul).

3. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I think that's true, though I think Baiul's situation was largely caused by her injury from Lillehammer and needing the money. Skaters who STAY on the scene must work hard to maintain that level. Look at Michelle Kwan, Rafael Arturnyan said to be the most reliable skater he ever worked with. For her to stay on the scene so long and be so consistent, she must have worked hard

4. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I can't comment very well on today's skaters. You don't seem to hear so much about their work ethic. Perhaps work ethic is less of a concern in the world general these days and it isn't praised as much.

Older skaters known for their work ethic would include Todd Eldredge, Evgeni Plushenko, Evan Lysacek, Brian Boitano, Michelle Kwan, and Tara Lipinski.

Skaters with less work ethic would have poster children in Tonya Harding, Nicole Bobek (1995 excepted) and Christopher Bowman, and a post-Olympics Oksana Baiul. From his own revelations in his book and TV series, Johnny Weir seemed to have less work ethic than he could have.

paskatefan, Kecasyl and AxelAnnie like this.
  5. robbyveldez

robbyveldez New Member

Lysacek has incredible work ethic to the point he pushed himself to keep getting injured. Poor guy!

Kecasyl likes this.
  6. robbyveldez

robbyveldez New Member

Baiul was never lazy IMO. Her knee injury did not allow her to train properly then she became an alcoholic.

7. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Baiul's career as a pro skater was so sad we all know. So yes, her injury was the main reason but If she had better work ethnic, who knows. She might have a better pro career. What a pity.
    Another example, I think Ilia Kulik. I love him as hell but it's not like he liked competition very much.

8. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

According to Tatiana Tarasova (surprisingly), Yuna Kim:
    Brian Orser has spoken very highly multiple times on Yuzuru Hanyu's work ethic.

paskatefan likes this.
  9. zebraswan

zebraswan Active Member

I would say Brian Joubert.

paskatefan likes this.
  10. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Obviously Yuna, Mao... all have best work ethnic in the field. I've heard that Yuna only went to the cinema 2 times a year when she trained with Orser, poor girl. :wuzrobbed
    Nobunari Oda said Mao has lived as a monk. :saint:

And Yuzuru's routine in Canada is like this: home - go to the rink for his training - home - super market - home - rink - home - rink.
    According to a recent interview, Yuzu hasn't even visited Niagara fall, rarely goes downtown in Toronto.
    Kinda scary, though. :scream:

justiceforfs likes this.
  11. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

When Yuna was a junior skater (I think it was then) she had a disagreement with her mother, who told Yuna she could either do it her way (mom's), or do 100 laps around the rink. Yuna chose to run 100 laps around the rink. Her mom watched for awhile in amusement but after 20 laps or something she thought this girl is crazy and going to hurt herself, so she gave in and told Yuna she could stop, but Yuna was stubborn and refused to stop until she finished all 100 laps. Her mom never threatened that kind of punishment again.

(can't remember how many laps it was exactly, but 100 sounds good to me!)

cbd1235 and justiceforfs like this.
  12. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Alexi Yagudin, of course. 4 times world champion, OGM, GPF winner. To win against Plushy, he changed the coach, he changed his way of skating, he went to psychologist, he lost weight...everything. Let's just say he was obsessed with competing. His work ethnic must be crazy.
    Same thing could be applied for Plushy, though. I've heard that he had practiced quads ever since 12-13. :scream:

13. satine94

satine94 awaiting the scores

Maybe now that's she's having a break, she can :summer: a little.

Meoima likes this.
  14. justiceforfs

justiceforfs New Member

Yuna Kim. She never recycled programs over different seasons during her senior career except her senior debut short program "Tango de Loxanne" which is refined and created by Tom Dickson.

15. justiceforfs

justiceforfs New Member

Ando Miki. She took a season off to fix her flutz and did not participate in any competition. She could just pretend she fixed it and just making mistakes.

16. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

For some reason that reminds me, how all of Japan said the reason why Mao couldn't beat Yuna was because she wasn't "sexy" enough. :rofl:

I hope Mao doesn't change at all. Everyone has to be their own person and find their own way in life.

snoopysnake likes this.
  17. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I am not Mao's fan so I don't know for sure. But it'a true that I don't think of Mao as a sexy lady. :rofl: And I don't think she can even change into a sexy lady. :rollin:

18. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

That Ilia Kulik didn't like competition does not (IMO) say anything about his work ethic ... I don't think he could have reached the quality of his pro skating without hard work.

19. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I think all of marina's skaters work hard. Certainly D/W and Tess and
    Scott workd really hard. I would think great work ethic is necessary for any really high level skater. Watching Pchiddy documentaries and according to Kraull, Patrick worked really hard.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Men: Boitano, Plushenko, Lysacek

Ladies: Lipnitskaya, Lipinski, Kwan, Asada

There are others but I think they have been mentioned already (I still wanted to list Kwan and Asada).

21. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I would think that most elite skaters have strong work ethics. To be able to compete at the international requires a lot of time and effort that most people don't have. I would think the only skaters who have work ethics issues are the skaters who have either mentioned it themselves or had it mentioned by a coach, etc. Even then, I wonder if they are considered slackers in comparison to other elite skaters or just slackers in the general sense?

Vash01 likes this.
  22. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I don't think Kulik had bad work ethnic. But I have the feeling he had some problem with concentration. I think people with strong work ethnic often have better concentration. Of course he had it, it's just he might not felt it as much as other to continue.

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Interesting topic.

Some of the athletes listed make skating look like hard work, and others make it look effortless.

24. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

I think there's a question of which skaters had NOTORIOUS overdrive work ethics? I think a good example would be Evan Lyscacek. Frank Carroll (who has zero tolerance for "lazy" skaters) said that many times he ordered Evan to stop because Evan was such a perfectionist. I wonder if his tendency to overtrain led to all the injuries.

I think Sergei Grinkov's is another example where his work ethic went into overdrive. Katia said any small mistake in competition bothered him, and that in the months leading up to his death he complained of back pain and not feeling well, but he still insisted on training very hard. I did see a few photos of him right before the heart attack and he did look pale and somewhat thin.

Sale and Pelletier was an example where their difference in work ethics might have harmed them as a pair. Jamie Sale said after the relationship/marriage was over that David was an extremely intense person who always trained very hard, and got extremely angry over mistakes in competition. She admitted she never could match his fanatical mindset.

25. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

All great examples. I would add Shen/Zhao to the list, they worked tirelessly to fix all their weaknesses.

Good point, as there does need to be a balance. You know when Frank Carroll tells you to slow down, you're going too far. I remember in My Sergei, Katia mentioned Sergei didn't want to tell her if something wasn't right, to him the most important then was the ability to handle pain.

26. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Rachael Flatt. Balancing school and skating was quite the task.

27. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I love that story about Yuna and her mom. :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    justiceforfs likes this.
  28. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

Katia also said that Sergei did not enjoy his second Olympic experience because he was upset at himself for the atypical mistakes he made in both the SP and LP.

I think Pasha/Oksana Grishuk for all her off-ice antics had a reputation as someone with a fanatical work ethic. Years later she participated in some kind of fluffy "skating with the stars" program in Russia and I remember she drove her poor partner crazy with the fanatical training regimen she set for him.

29. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I love that story about Pasha. :rofl:

I've read in interviews with Platov and past coaches/skaters over the years that have always had nothing but positive things to say about Pasha's work ethic. It's not surprising she and Evgeni were always the fastest team out there.

30. justiceforfs

justiceforfs New Member

I miss the stubborn teenager Yuna than a classy lady Yuna. lol maybe that personality makes her more professional as a skater. According her recent interview, she said she has no worry about afternoon now cause she's retired. she used to do if morning session didn't go well she was so worried about afternoon session more.