Who has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Who has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

Poll closed May 1, 2013.
  1. Carolina Kostner

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Ashley Wagner

58 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Mao Asada

100 vote(s)
    41.3%
  4. Miki Ando

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Adelina Sotnikova

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Akiko Suzuki

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Alena Leonova

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Gracie Gold

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. Kaetlyn Osmond

12 vote(s)
    5.0%
  11. Kiira Korpi

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Mao hasn't landed a 3A all season and I don't think she's landed one at worlds since 2010. I just hope she doesn't try it in the SP. In the past when she's gone for it she's hardly ever landed it and it's completely knocked her out of the running for any shot at a medal.

I'd like to see her reintroduce a 3-3 to her jump layout...

2. os168

os168 Active Member

I honestly don't know how you can consider as a risk, it is the same Mao who did the light, happy and fun version of Tango(s);
    the same light happy and fun version of Scheherazade;
    the same light happy and fun version of Mary Poppins;
    and now apparent a light, happy and fun Swan lake with little regard to meaning of the music and what is written to describe, and in particularly the stark contrast between white and black swan and their well known character traits.
    So I might be completely bonkers, but this makes her light happy and fun version of I've got Rhythm nothing short of predictable and disappointing for those who hoping to see better range and maturity from her. Especially musicality, since the program is a about rhythm and music, hence about freedom of letting go and not being tentative.

For the LP, for sure it is a fantastic choice. Mao, Tat, Tchaichovsky, one of the greatest famous music ever written for ballet, going to go down a storm in Sochi. Judges are programmed to think PCS 60+ by default.... What can go wrong? Apparently the COP! First half, generic and little choreography or interpretation focus entirely on the jumps tentatively. Second half, thank god for Tat's amazing Step Sequences, Mao wokes up, though still not having a strong grasp with the music, up to the final pose which was at least 1 second too early.

3. os168

os168 Active Member

The snootiness towards Koreans on FSU is still prevalent I see. Too bad, Kim is back, deal with it.

4. kwanatic

Again, agree to disagree OS. :)

Her SP music choice was a risk b/c when is the last time you saw an elite skater skate to that version of I Got Rhythm? Like I said, it's usually reserved for younger skaters. Mao got hammered when she went the Masquerade/Bells of Moscow route and rightly so; heavy music is the antithesis of her style of skating. So choosing to stay on the lighter side in her music choices is smart...play to your strengths...but you gotta admit this SP is pushing it! But, she made it work. The LP works the full way through for me. Like I said, the choreography is simple, not elaborate/complicated/overly dramatic/etc., but sometimes less is more. I love it. Personally, I think it's simple, elegant and beautiful...but that's me and my opinion.

To each his own so, like I said, we just agree to disagree I guess. :)

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's a 3A clip from Nationals practice (posted in the Japan Nationals entries/info thread in Kiss and Cry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq27K4NBCmw

6. os168

os168 Active Member

Nobody would skate to sesame street either, but it does't mean it is risky to skate to sesame street!!

If Yuna start to skate to sesame street tomorrow, I'd seriously laugh my @ss off, getting indignant and then start a campaign pelting ATS and David Wilson with cyber bombs! (Dont you dare DW!!! ;))

What you choose and how you showcase your program defines who you are as a performer. A good matured performer should evolve or certainly unafraid to try. Since it is natural to fail every now and then, otherwise how else are you going to mature and grow as a person, as a performer to gain greater insights and understanding beyond oneself? Actually I have no problem with I've got Rhythm, and thought it is a great choice, but the interpretation of it is not.

Once again, I completely disagree with you about her Belle of Moscow (heh.. it must be one of those days!), too bad I wasn't around at the time, but honestly I thought it is an AMAZING program, best of Tat and Mao and made a huge impression on me for Mao in a very good way. (Bear in mind I haven't seen any of her performances before the Olympics.) If that is what everyone thinks at the time, I am honestly feel gutted for Tat, that not enough people appreciate the level of depth, work and risk to do something like this at an Olympic event, it is an worthy OGM program and would have won in any other year. I am actually curious to see how Grandbell of Moscow is received back in Russia, it is part of their heritage after all.

I wonder maybe Mao's inability to express the material early in the season and not received the welcoming result had prejudiced program from her fans. Yet, to anyone who love art, how can one not see how amazing her WC performance is of that program? Irrespective of 3As which is epic in its own right. Maybe the moodiness, the vendetta feeling Mao had the time really helped her to fully realized the program for me. She was right there, feeling every rapture, the beat, stretch herself to the max on a mission, not holding back, really going after it. It was wonderful to see. The program is epic and olympian. It might not be fluffy and cuddly, but it has real meat and grit!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

If there's any snootiness, it's not from FSU as a whole. I will say that it seems like the majority of Yuna fans on here think they are knowledgeable when it comes to skating but have only been watching since Yuna won the Olympics. BTW, I myself am a huge Yuna fan and I think BOTH the uber Yuna and uber Mao fans are equally annoying.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  8. os168

os168 Active Member

Depends, if you consider new fans post Olympics less knowledgeable based only on their track history here, affiliate fandom or on the quality of their posts. I used to be a skater and used to followed Michelle's career before the popularity of internet. I pay to see figure skating shows around the world including world championships, 2002 killed the sport for me until 2010.

Uberism is good and bad but as long as we keep in check and remain relatively objective, tolerant and civil, I see no harm, even YES it may annoy the few, otherwise what is Trashcan on FSU for except entitle your uberism run wild, free and let there be no scorn?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

LOL.. The bots are having a coming out party here and there! Please comment on what's said in the post, not on your twisted mind.

10. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Oh puuleez.. As I said, the music cuts are fine. The music is not of juvenile quality.

Besides the technical issues, what’s ruining Asada as a performer is, IMO, pampering. Pampering by her fans, her federation, and the Japanese media. Throwing in favorable rule changes and accolades to prop up their starlet against others. It’s understandable they have their own needs to support their biggest star and maintain the big sponsor market. After all, a female star is far more attractive than a male star in this sport, at least from a marketing point. But constructive and fairly objective feedback will do more good in the end.

11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

You have to think the podium will be some combination of Mao, Ashley and YuNa. The next dangerous entry is Caro because she only has to do a handful of triples to score 190 pts. She and Akiko will be there if one of the above falters.
    Korpi is always dangerous. I'm sure the ISU is just dying to splatter her face all over ad materials so they'd love her to medal at some point. She's another one who is usually good for 170 just for showing up, so if she puts it all together, then...wooo!

I just don't know what to make of the Russians. Not loving any of 'em (outside of Makarova's short. After that I dig Leonova but she's being very 'Hubert' this year so I'm sort of writing her off)

Osmond should get a top 10 but barely. I'm expecting a mistake in both the short and long but she'll crack 165-170 and make the top 10 or 8. I fully expect her PCS to rise consistently between now and OGs (you think they are high NOW...just wait). Her looks, smile and personality are going to make her very marketable in this sport. If her tech development continues and she keeps her carefree vibe her stock is going to rise real fast. If she skates technically well at 4CC, you're going to see 8s hitting the score sheet.

12. kwanatic

I think she's doing quite well in terms of performing. Even with mistakes, she's not dropping the program...she's lacking in terms of points from jumps but she's milking the points out of everything else and under this system that's smart. However, I do agree that the judges are doing more harm than good when it comes to some of her scores. I don't know what the fcuk they were thinking at NHK; Mao did not deserve that gold medal. A popped or doubled jump should not receive +GOEs...that shouldn't happen but it did.

The lack of jumps should be felt more in Mao's score, especially when her competition is damn near perfect. At COC I felt that Mao's overall skating trumped Julia's immature performances; that was not the case at NHK. Mao struggled, Akiko was amazing, and yet the judges gave it to Mao. Akiko wuz robbed and everyone knows it. That has nothing to do with Mao though; she didn't give herself those scores. The judges are the ones who need a good b*tchslap right now...

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

BTW, it's worth noting that Yuna herself doesn't seem to be in it for the win. Give more chances to Korean hopefuls, see where she can reach with her artistic views, and leave no regrets for not competing some more.

14. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I like Osmond’s chance of cracking into top ten, even top five if she’s on. She’s a relatively new face, even more so compared with the young Liza and Adelina, and she looks a bit hurried in executing her routines, but somehow she looks more mature than the Russian babies to me. I also would love to see Zijun Li doing well. She’s a beautiful skater and technically strong as well.

15. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I agree.

16. kwanatic

deleted

17. kwanatic

The judges definitely like Osmond so that's a plus on her side. I definitely think she's top 6 or 7 material. She's a performer...I love a performer. Like all of the newbie juniors she needs some refinement but in terms of relating to her music and choreography and pulling a crowd in, she's amazing.

Zijun Li is the future for China. She's a gorgeous girl and great skater. I have high hopes for her as well. I don't know how big a splash she'll make between now and Sochi but she's definitely one to watch for the next quadrennial.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

There is nothing wrong with thinking of your country ahead of yourself, even for a skater.

19. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Slightly OT, but how does anyone feel about others a little further down the food chain as challengers for medals, such as Korpi, Murakami, Gedevanishvili, Nagasu / Gold and the Russian gals? - Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Leonova (I'm thinking they will the Russian team for worlds). I honestly thought that Sotnikova and Tuk would be more involved in the medal mix than they are at this point.

21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

We should totally have a separate thread for this!

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  22. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

If Yu-Na wins Worlds with those 2 boring programs of her's, I will :wall:. Caro, Mao, and Ashley all have more interesting and better choreographed programs than her's. I also like Liza's and Kaetlyn's programs better than Yu-Na's.

23. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Oh, give her some break. Those programs were performed only once, outed by a skater who had been away from competition for 19 months, and Yuna herself admitted that she did care less about the choreos and emoting the programs since her goal was to obtain minimum TES for Worlds. While I, too, was a bit disappointed by the overall impressions of her programs, I'm sure they'll develop marvelously till Worlds.

24. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Actually i'll be pissed if I were yuna if losing to others who are not taking any risk.. who are just playing safe.. now..that's the biggest injustice.. If her programs are boring at least she didn't play safe. :p

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Be prepared to :wall: then.

26. shine

shine Well-Known Member

That's why she's not a real performer IMO and probably why I've never found her convincing. Real performers go out there every single time to show the audience how wonderful they believe their program to be, regardless of whether the jumps are on or not. Kim is there to win competitions, first and foremost. That's the difference between her and someone like Carolina Kostner. And honestly I don't see how much more amazing her programs will get. Even if she was only focusing on jumps, one can see that the choreography is just not there.

27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Then I guess there would be no bashing or ridiculing of any kind if Yuna did "perform," and that came with the expense of acquiring minimum tes for Worlds? I really adore what Carolina has been offering to figure skating and totally agree with your opinion about her but some snide comments towards Yuna to prop Caro up have their limits.

28. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL
    I have no problem with someone with amazing skating, but who doesn't want to show how wonderful she is each time.
    So, if she wins Worlds or the Olympics, I'll be happy, just because she is one of the very best skater ever.
    And I'm a Carolina Kostner fan (if Carolina wins, I'll be happy too).

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  29. naan

naan New Member

Yes, at least she doesn't play safe.
    I found out that skaters museksk8r mentioned are all skating to one of the most overused music - Bolero, Swan Lake, Samson and Delilah, Dark eyes, and Carmen.
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with skating to overused music. They are nice, but for me, not that interesting or brilliant as she said. My favorite programs of this season are Akiko's SP & LP, Caro's SP, and Yuna's LP, so my World podium should be Akiko-Yuna-Caro! :D

:respec:
    I like Caro (she's my second favorite), but she is not always a 'great real performer' as somebody said. She was totally a mess at 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olys. All I could see and feel was fear and nerve. Poor Carolina, it was really hard to see. However, she fought back and did a amazing skate at 2012 Worlds :swoon:
    No one is perfect, and no one can be always great. Given that Yuna had been away from competition for 19 month and she got her new programs one in July and one in September, started actual training in July, I think she was great. Much more than I expected (To be honest, I expected she would bomb :slinkaway). I think she just needs time to get back in shape.

30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Let's face it Kim is just not as hungry as the other skaters who are competing right now. Besides she's been basically retired for the last couple years so you can't compare her to Ashley, Kostner, Mao etc etc. The only way you can compare is if Kim gets back to competing more then once a year. If she decides to skate a full schedule next season and is really serious then we'll see how she stacks up. But i don't expect to see a dominate Kim at Worlds this year not just because she won't be battle tested or in shape but also is she really skating for herself or just to get two spots for South Korea at the Olympics next year?