Who has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Who has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

Poll closed May 1, 2013.
  1. Carolina Kostner

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. Ashley Wagner

58 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Mao Asada

100 vote(s)
    41.3%
  4. Miki Ando

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Adelina Sotnikova

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Akiko Suzuki

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Alena Leonova

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Gracie Gold

7 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. Kaetlyn Osmond

12 vote(s)
    5.0%
  11. Kiira Korpi

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. Other

9 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

After watching Yu na Kim's skate on YT, it seems she will be the one to beat at the 2013 worlds, and later at the 2014 Olympics again.

While she was away, ladies figure skating suffered quite a bit, but we saw improvement in Kostner, and some new young skaters on the scene, while Mao seemed to start over.

Which of these ladies has the best chance of beating Yu na Kim at the 2013 worlds?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Miki Ando isn't competing this season (she won't be at Japan Nationals).

3. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Mao Asada. Returning to form

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

None of the above

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

What's Kostner up to these days?

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Kostner's scheduled to make her season debut at Golden Spin of Zagreb this week (see competition thread in Kiss and Cry).

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  7. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Kostner does have the ability. If she can pull off clean programs with two 3flips and a 2a+3T then she could easily win. She has the components she just needs to do the jumps and she could beat almost anyone IMO

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn Osmond has the same number of votes as Kostner (at this point). Oh well, it is a random, unscientific FSU poll in Trash Can.

In her highly probable debut at Worlds, if Osmond skates clean she will realistically be fortunate to make top five or six. But yeah, sure Worlds is taking place in Canada, which also counts for a lot. Top of podium though, no way in her first time at Worlds. She's a shining star alright, but give her some time to fully develop. It's like just because she's one of the more talented singles ladies Canada has seen in awhile, she must suddenly shoot right to the top over everyone else.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

if Kim skates even reasonably well she wins both the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics, period. I voted other, as the answer is Yu Na. The one with the best chance to beat Yu Na Kim is Yu Na Kim.

10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Ice is slippery. You never know. You can only hope that the best wins the night;)

11. aftershocks

^ I don't care how slippery is ice, 2013 Worlds is NOT going to be like Kimmie Meissner gutting it out and grabbing gold at post-Olympic Worlds 2006 in a depleted field, where all the top favorites appeared to be tiptoeing through the tulips as they one-by-one gave away the top of the podium.

12. momsk8

momsk8 New Member

Mao Asada, she already beat Yuna in 2010

13. momsk8

momsk8 New Member

l'etolie,
    I love your comment

14. aftershocks

After viewing both of Yu Na's new programs that she debuted in Dortmund, I think it might be true as judgejudy commented that Yu Na is the only one who can beat herself. Albeit, ice is slippery and Yu Na lost a bit of focus or endurance in the latter part of her fp (during combo jumps she singled, and when she fell on a jump). However, she recovered nicely. I think her layback has improved a bit, but it's still not the best position aesthetically, and she still doesn't seem to make any effort to point her feet (I know it's not easy to do in stiff skate boots, but it would enhance her look on the ice). She was obviously focused more on getting the programs out there than in performing them to perfection.

These programs tho' are great for Yu Na. I like them much better than I do Mao's programs (and I have previously tended to enjoy Mao's skating more than Yu Na's). Although Mao is very lovely and courageous, and I admire her comeback, I think both of Yu Na's programs are stronger this season and have the potential to be even stronger at Worlds, especially if Yu Na comes prepared and skates clean. Yet there is something about Yu Na's reserve that keeps me from being fully drawn to her skating.

15. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Miki Ando, if she comes back, I think has the best chance. Not that she is so good, but her usual strategy of take it slow and pray till everyone else falls could work. It has before.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Not really. Kim defeated herself by making major mistakes in the SP and that was why she lost. I just haven't been impressed with Mao's technical jumps even when she's winning this season.

17. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Don't know. Yuna is not at her best form yet and she didn't promise anything big this season so ... well.. anyone of the handful girls can beat her, IMO. But I do think even though she's off form, she can still keep within top 5 easily. Good luck to all the ladies. I just want to see great skating and programs from all.

18. judgejudy27

Too cute. Yu Na's scores from her first event back would have won the Grand Prix final quite easily, and would have been about 20 points over 2nd place Wagner. At this event she had a mistake filled long program and was quite mediocre for her standards. She doesnt have to promise anything, anyone knows she is not coming back to just be top 5, and unless she breaks her leg early in her long program she wont ever be down in 4th or 5th against the current crop of girls (although even then her usual short program would probably have her way ahead of the field, and able to win atleast bronze even with a 1 or 2 triple long, especialy seeing Asada winning events with only 3 triples).

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

You can say that about any favorite. She lost because she made mistakes and the other skaters did not. It means they skated better than her on that day, and won fair and square. There is no such thing as defeating yourself, no matter how good you are. IIRC her LP was not that flawless either but she was given higher marks than a clean Mao, which was a travesty. Mao beat her in that competition, period.

20. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

anyone can beat yuna.. you never know and no one is guaranteed a win. heck if mao won with only 3 triples in nhk then anyone can win..

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

How many had predicted Sarah Hughes to beat Michelle and Irina in the 2002 Olympics, before the Olympics? Anything can happen. Riveredge, you did not need to take a jab at Mao's win at NHK. The GPs are quite different from worlds; skaters are still working on their programs in a GP series.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

While I think that Yuna will have her jumps sorted out and will show up in readiness at Worlds, like posters have already said, anything can happen. I think it goes against our experience as figure skating fans to make bold predictions based on a small, obscure competition that took place many months before Worlds where the rest of the field was so relatively weak.

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think YuNa Kim will be back. I have no clue about Carolina Kostner's shape. It's really difficult these days.

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

We're figure skating fans. We like to guess and debate over something that'll probably never happen anyway.:hat1:

Hmm, Yuna is back. She just competed last week at NRW Trophy. And she seems and sounds quite serious going for Sochi with one or two of her compatriot skaters which is impossible if she doesn't show up at Worlds since S. Korea now has only one spot for Worlds. Sad, but true:(

25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She is already back. It was a small competition, but her program was competitive, though not perfect. She is only going to improve, and be in great shape by worlds 2013.

26. aftershocks

Yes, Yu Na's programs are very competitive, and if performed to a high level cleanly, it might be difficult for others to beat her. Still, I've never been fully drawn into Yu Na's skating because of her overall reserve. It kind of irks a bit because I think Yu Na could be stretched to do more (and I mean stretched literally in terms of extending her limbs more and pointing her toes to achieve better lines). In addition, although I feel Yu Na's strength of determination and dedication, I don't really feel a complete connection between her and her music. Her efforts appear more like athletic exercises alone rather than seamless and fully realized athletic/ artistic performances where she is opening up her heart to the audience (e.g., in the way that Michelle Kwan always did). Yu Na could be absolutely exquisite if she actually ever brought everything together. I wonder if her heart is fully in her skating, or whether its more of a sense of duty and athleticism and going through the motions presentation-wise.

I can feel Mao's emotions more, but I think Mao has issues technically and has been getting high scores based on her reputation. I don't care so much for Mao's sp this season and I'm not as fully engaged with her fp because in some ways, even though she seems to be smiling and happy, especially in her sp, I feel a sense of her going through the motions without her heart and her spirit being fully present (understandable somewhat re having lost her mother last year). I know ISU judges don't score based on these type of impressions.

Yes, it is uncertain what judges will do, although I think ISU judges hold Yu Na in very high regard which may lead to rep points. For certain though, Yu Na will have to be at her best at Worlds 2013 and not lose focus during her programs, as she did understandably during some of her performances after she'd won the Olympic gold medal. Yu Na bore up well under the Olympic pressure and achieved her dream and made her country proud. Afterward, she definitely lost a bit of motivation, and I think she is skating now mainly because it is expected of her. Hopefully she will access some joy and improve her presentation because her programs have great music and they are well-choreographed.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  27. a56

a56 New Member

I agree. I have to say I don't care for her skating, but Ando won 2 titles and she's obviously held in *very* high esteem by the judges. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ando is the 2014 Olympic Champion (if she comes back). Ando has the best chance because she's technically very consistent. The other ladies are just very inconsistent technically.

I would personally prefer to see Elizaveta Tuktamisheva win 2013 worlds and 2014 olympics. Hopefully, she picks it up and gets better results.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

That's true. But we don't want to tempt the skategods, do we?

29. judgejudy27

LOL at people even talking about Ando. First off Ando isnt coming back. Second of all even if she does she would be lucky to even beat out Murakami for the last spot on the Japanese Olympic team. She is old (26), did not come close to an Olympic medal even in her prime, and with Asada doing well again would never get the support as Japanese #1 like she had in 2011 while Mao was slumping and visibly aided her scores. Anyway the level of skating Ando in 2011 and Kostner in 2012 won World with wont even medal in Sochi.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Because you know just who will medal at Sochi...those Olympic placements, they always turn out exactly as predicted. :rolleyes: