Who has the best chance of beating Chan for the world championship in 2013?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Nov 27, 2011.

?

Which man has the best chance of beating Chan for the gold at the 2013 worlds?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2012.
  1. Takahashi

69 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Hanyu

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Kozuka

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Abbott

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Fernandez

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. Brezina

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Rippon

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

2012 can be written off; Chan will win the championship, but by 2013 some of the young skaters may be ready to beat him. Who has the best chance of winning the 2013 world championship over Chan?
  2. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

the chan haters are out in full force, chan will fall 4 times and win:D
  3. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Works for me! :EVILLE:
  4. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Chan needs to perform at Worlds 2012 to win. Can't compare GP judging and wins against a handful of skaters vs competing against the top men in a world championship. One should NEVER write off any worlds when it comes to singles skating.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Chan will win them all leading up to Sochi and then win Sochi, but if Fernandez improves even more he may be able to take him on (as well as Takahashi being a legit challenger as usual). Fernandez needs to be able to do the quads at the beginning and NOT conk out near then end of the program, plus get a bit better musicality or whatever, and then he might be ready. Nan Song also pops to mind as someone who's really going to improve over the next few years, but I think it'll be 2015 at least until he's at Chan's level. ;)
  6. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

This. If season-ending results were inscribed in the outcomes of the Grand Prix competitions, then Chan would've won Worlds in 2009.
  7. NMURA

NMURA Member

It is now clear Hanyu and Fernandez have been appointed as "Chan's rivals" by the ISU. Their PCS will rise to the level of Takahashi (save NHK-like home favoritism) in near future. Both of them will attempt the two quad SP in next season. Chan won't be able to get away with 3-4 errors to win for so long. Gachinski and Brezina still have the chance to be the "candidate".
  8. FTnoona

FTnoona New Member

I doubt Hanyu can pull off a 2 quad SP b/c of his stamina issue. Fernandez seems more likely b/c he seems so consistent with the jump now. I feel that if Hanyu keeps missing his quad the PCS will start going down. I'd say that Chan is pretty safe for now since Takahashi is getting old and Kozuka is not really good with the quad.
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Stamina becomes more of an issue in the LP, not so much in the SP. Hanyu is not landing the quad consistently in competitions yet. IMO he has a lot of growing to do, but I like his potential. I don't think he will be ready to beat Chan by 2014 though.
  10. FTnoona

FTnoona New Member

I think it would be a big issue if he put 2 quads in. After his SP at CoC the poor baby looked so out of breath, but then again he really performed that program in China too IMO.
  11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Nobody. Chan will win every big event until and including the 2014 Olympics. If he continues past the 2014 Olympics he might start to be challenged.
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am not so sure. Skaters that appeared invincible have lost the OGM in the past. Classic examples: Kurt Browning (92), Michelle Kwan (98)
  13. judgejudy27

Michelle Kwan did not seem invincible. She had lost 3 times to Tara Lipinski in the previous 14 months. Kurt Browning also did not. He barely won the 1990 and 1991 Worlds. Chan has about a 5 fall cushion on everyone else right now, and the others have 27 months to close it.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

"5 fall cushion" - :lol: You are right about that.

Tara had beaten Michelle but by the time 1998 Olys rolled around, it seemed that two clean performances by Michelle were enough for her to win the OGM, regardless of how anyone else skated.

I have to agree that both Kurt and Michelle had strong competition from one skater (Viktor and Tara) while the closest to Chan is Takahashi, and he has already peaked, IMO.
  15. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I was between Rippon and Kozuka...and eventually gave it to Rippon. I just feel like the judges will respond to his skating more. and just imagine the marks he can post with a quad lutz. I really hope he gets rewarded for his hands-over-head 3 lutz...maybe if he performed that jump while he grabbed one of his blades from behind...
  16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Rippon can land a quad lutz???
  17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW-eSthy0Gk

He is trying it in competition this season.
    Anyway, I really don't think Rippon will be judges favorite in his career. His skating is very beautiful, but he is too cautious, with long entrance into the jumps. His 3Axel is not consistent. Kozuka has much more virtuosity, even if he is not exactly consistent, lol. JMO.
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Good one. Has he attempted it in ANY competition yet?
  19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

At TEB this past week. But "only" 3.5 turns so, downgraded <<. :)
  20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I missed watching TEB completely. I was out of station and did not have frequent access to the internet. I will watch the video on icenetwork. Thanks.
  21. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

I initially misread the thread title and thought it said 'Who has the best chance of beating Chan for the world championship in 2012?' I voted accordingly and picked Takahashi. I don't think Chan is invincible at the moment. Very hard to beat - yes. But invincible - no. If Takahashi skates two perfect programs and Chan makes some mistakes, I think Takahashi has a decent chance of winning.

As for 2013, I honestly don't know what to think. Putting Chan aside as a given, judges seem to be willing to support the emerging stars such as Hanyu, Brezina and Fernandez (I'd also take into account Amodio and Gachinski, who can gain better form later in the season), but I don't think they will write off older skaters as soon as 2013. By writing 'older skaters' I mean Takahashi, Abbott, Kozuka and possibly Oda. I'm not sure about Joubert and Verner, because I have a feeling that they might be finished :( So I think it will be an open battle, and whoever is better will win.
  22. judgejudy27

Oda is done. He is the #4 Japanese now, it would be a big surprise if he even makes the Japanese World team, or perhaps ever again if Takahashi stays in for Sochi. Hanyu and Kozuka clearly have priority over him, as does Takahashi as long as he continues.
  23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

How old will Nathan Chen be in 2013? :)