Who has medaled at regionals, sectionals AND nationals the same year?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by leafygreens, Aug 7, 2010.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

At the senior level, has any skater had to go through regionals AND sectionals (not getting a bye) in order to qualify for Nationals, and then medaled or won Nationals that same year?

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Agnes Zawadzki, on the junior level
    Mirai Nagasu in 2007 when she won the junior title

In the senior level most top skaters compete internationally so you don't see this as often.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Todd Eldredge when he did his comeback in 2002

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Didn't Johnny Weir have to go through regionals and sectionals the year he won the title in 2004?

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Weir got a bye through Regionals that season (2003-04) when he competed at Finlandia Trophy that October, then placed first at Easterns in November and won his first National title in Atlanta.

I don't know if Rudy Galindo had to compete at his Regional (Central Pacific) in the fall of 1995, but he went on to win Pacific Coast Sectionals and, most memorably, 1996 Nationals (and the bronze at Worlds).

Naomi Nari Nam didn't compete internationally in the fall of 1998 (too young?) and so I assume she had to compete at her Regional (Southwest Pacific) as a Senior before winning Pacific Coast Sectionals and the surprise silver medal at 1999 Nationals.

6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

That was the first person I thought of . . . especially because he also medaled at Worlds that year. So I went and checked my back issues of Skating Magazine. There was no senior men's event at Central Pacifics that year . . . in fact there were only 6 men at Pacific Coasts sectionals that year, so it looks like all of them would have gone straight to sectionals without having to compete at regionals, just for lack of numbers.

Good point. Checking. . . Yes, she did compete at and win both her regionals and sectionals that year.

7. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Well, if you include the pewter medal, wouldn't Elaine Zayak qualify in 1994?

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

She didn't medal, but Katrina Hacker did a very respectable job in 2008, finishing 6th. She was a relative unknown going into Nationals, and took everyone by surprise by beating former world champ. Kimmie Meissner. Nationals was especially competitive that year. Nagasu, Flatt, Wagner and Zhang were jumping beans that year. IIRC, they all had 7 triple programs.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Jeremy Abbott won Regionals, Sectionals, and Nationals as a junior in 2005.

10. leafygreens

Has there been anyone who was a surprise newcomer, like Katrina Hacker? Amber Corwin did similar in 1996 - 2nd-Reg., 3rd-Sec., 6th-Nat.

Has any newcomer ever done 1st-Reg., 1st-Sec., 1st-Nat.?

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Did Kwan have to go to regionals and sectionals in 1994? She medalled in Sr. Ladies that year -- in '93 I think she for sure had to go through regionals and sectionals, but she finished 6th in Sr. Ladies at Nationals.

How did Cohen get up to Sr. Nationals the first time? The USFSA used to have really nice competitive records up for skaters, but that seems to have gone away with the Ice Network stuff.

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

She competed at Skate America and Junior Worlds (which she won) that year, so those assignments probably gave her byes through both.

JGP bye? I'm missing some of the relevant magazines from that year.

13. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Since there are "regionals", "sectionals" and "Nationals" all over the world, I wonder (in) WHICH country you could possibly mean? :)

14. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Cohen won at the Sweden JGP and at Southwest Sectionals that year.

15. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I think Caryn Kadavy in 1985 fits the bill.

How far back do you want to go? Before there were many international fall competitions, junior or senior, it was a lot more common for skaters who had already made a name for themselves nationally to compete at regionals and sectionals, whether they were required to or not. And more were required to because there were fewer opportunities for byes.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jlai

jlai Title-less

Todd came back in 01. He won nationals in 02.

17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that Christopher Bowman had to do that in 1991 or 1992.

18. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

How about Ina/Zimmerman?

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Did Boitano have to compete at regionals and sectionals when he came back?

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

No

21. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Angela Nikodinov won gold at Pacific Coast Sectionals and pewter at Nationals in 1997. Did she compete at Regionals that year?

Eldredge won both the Sectional and National titles in 1990, but I'm not sure if he was at Regionals either...

Trifun Zivanovic was 1st at Sectionals and 2nd at Nationals in 1999. Lydia Manon/Ryan O'Meara -- 1st at Sectionals and 3rd at Nationals in 2005.

22. scootie12

scootie12 New Member

He competed at Skate America, and I have to check when the Pro-Am event was (not the the Pro-Am would qualify for a bye). Does anyone remember when the Hershey's Pro-Am event was? I'm pretty sure it was at the end of the 1992-1993 season, but I'm also thinking was at the beginning of fall 1993.

23. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I believe the relevant question is whether a Nobody ever came from Nowhere to win senior Nationals? It probably has happened in the U.S., but it's extremely rare. You may have to back early in the 20th century. It is much more common with juniors.

Unlike baseball, basket, football, hockey and other popular sports, figure skating records seem not to be very complete before about 1980.

24. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Maybe not on-line but USFS keeps a complete record of who won what going back to the early 1900's. Ben Wright's book on the history of US Figure Skating lists almost all of them. The Hall of Fame museum has copies of almost every issue of Skating Magazine, which published the results of Regionals and Sectionals every year. Ditto for "Tracings" magazine from the New England Interclub Council.

Just because records aren't on the internet, it doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means no one's gotten around to scanning them in yet.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:eek: thanks for the correction, in my mind it was the mythical return for one season only. I should have remembered, since I was there for his bronze medal performances in Vancouver :lol:

26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Nagasu had a 5 triple long program that year considering her triple lutz-triple toe was downgraded and she did two double axels.

27. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Ah. I didn't know that, thank you. I still remember how close it really was though. Wagner had a wonkly landing on her triple loop, but still went for a double loop on the end. She cheated it, and it was downgraded to a single. Had she just rotated that one double loop, she would have been champion that year. :lol:

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

According to Nikodinov's Wikipedia page, she placed 2nd (junior?) at Pokal Der Blauen Schwerter and 3rd in Senior at Ondrej Nepela Memorial in the fall of 1996, and so it's very likely she received a bye through SWP Regionals that October.

29. leafygreens

Yes, that's more along the lines of what I was asking. I figured that it hadn't happened anytime in recent memory and maybe someone would have access to some magic archives :cool:

Were unknowns "allowed" to win back in the day? Or was reputation just as important back then (not that it's ethical, regardless, but you know how things are in skating)? By back in the day I mean, whenever they started having regionals and sectionals in the US (I don't know when that was.)

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

What counts as "unknowns"?

Without looking up the exact dates, I believe that US sectionals started in the 1930s and regionals in the 1950s (or early 60s?).

Occasionally new national champions were skaters moving up from junior level the previous year, not necessarily the junior champion. Sometimes they were skaters who had competed at Nationals in senior the year before or for several years before without challenging for medals. Those skaters would not have been unknown to the judges and others who followed the sport closely, but they wouldn't have been considered favorites or singled out to keep an eye on by the media before the event. So they could have been previously unknown to the TV audiences, for example.

Obviously in eras when there was media coverage of only the top 3-5 skaters at Nationals each year, it would be more likely that someone could win, and certainly medal, while making their skating-on-TV debut. But that's not the same thing.