Who Do You Think You Are? ~ Season Three

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Mar 31, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

So sorry!
    Many of the episodes are available on YT.
    True for the UK and Canadian versions, as well.

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Not for Canadians they're not I'm afraid.

I know it's shown on City TV, but when I just checked their site, it's not available to watch over there. So hopefully it gets repeated for you Victorskid.

3. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

If you have Rogers Cable, some episodes are on the "on demand" channel

4. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Thanks, Alixana, I checked but there are only two episodes up at the moment and the most recent is Rita Wilson's.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Rita Wilson's episode and t was very touching. He father went through so much n a few short years.

6. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I just watched the Rob Lowe episode. Loved it. What a wild history. We rarely think of Americans who fought on the other side, but it many ways this was a classic American story of becoming American. What a great ending to the story! I was happy for Rob that he got his patriotic ancestry after all, but it also was just a fascinating, very American, ending.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It was terrific.
    Rob Lowe displayed an impressive knowledge of early American history in his consultations with the researchers helping him.

I'd love to know more about what happened to "John Christopher East" after the American Revolution.
    How did he become so prominent in his community?

8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It really was quite the adventure and I was also impressed by Rob's knowledge of early American History. Not surprised after a bit though, because I know all too well w/my own passion for British Royal History and certain periods of it in particular, if you're passionate about something then you'll do and read close to anything about whatever in order to learn more about it. Rob himself said ever since he was little he had been facinated by the Revolution and the early days of the US and in turn, tried to learn as much as possible about it.

When that happens, you can't help but soak up the details. :D

I too would have loved to learned more about what he did to become such a prominent man in that community where he eventually settled in, but they've only got an hour for the show, so... Too bad they don't do Two Parters, as this would have been perfect for one. Regardless, as someone said this really was a happy ending story w/Rob's ancestor being inducted (?) into The Sons of the American Revolution as a "Patriot" after all. I thought Rob was going to go into the ugly cry there, but I'm sure it happens as soon as those cameras stopped rolling.

BTW...I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel for any of our friends here who are American Citizens, who go to the Library of Congress looking for background info/documents on their Family History and are told they need to go through the documents and diaries of George Washington to get that information they're looking for. Cool seems like such an inadaquate word for something like this, but...Yeah. It would be pretty cool I'd think. :D

Next week looks to be pretty gutwrenching. Wish I'd be able to see it, but I'll be at the ACC at CSOI hopefully, so since I can't be in two places at the same time... :)

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

ITA. There are time constraints. Plus, even though they uncover a lot of information, there are limits to what they can find. I'm convinced that there's a lot more to the original military imprisonment of Rita's father than simply stealing less than a dollar, but I don't think we'll ever know what really happened.

10. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I was a teeny bit surprised that when the name "Johann Christophe Oest” came up, Rob didn’t immediately think of the Hessian Troops.

11. Sk8ngCat

Sk8ngCat Member

The Rob Lowe episode was amusing, particularly because my husband recently discovered an ancestor was an American patriot, and after said patriot died, part of his family, including his widow, moved north of the border. Now to find out why.

12. Marilou

Marilou New Member

It is so interesting studying the affect that the American Revolution had on families. Brothers fought one another, fathers and sons were on different sides - political ideologies split many families with some moving north and others staying put. It is not uncommon to find that some of those that moved north, either they or their descendats, eventually returned to the US, and some who stayed in the US eventually moved north - often to be near family members again.

I personally love this show. I love how most of the celebrities feel connected to their ancestors and to history, after their discoveries.