Who do you think will capture the gold medal in Ice Dance at Russian Nationals 2010?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by MikiAndoFan#1, Aug 21, 2010.

?

Who do you think will capture the gold medal in Ice Dance at Russian Nationals 2010?

1. Jana Khokhlova & Fedor Andreev

13 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev

74 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov

62 vote(s)
    39.2%
  4. Ksenia Monko & Kirill Khaliavin

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Ekaterina Riazanova & Ilia Tkachenko

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. Ekaterina Pushkash & Jonathan Guerreiro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit early, but I've been wondering: with Oksana & Maxim and Ekaterina & Ivan gone and Jana with another partner, who do you think will take home the gold medal in Ice Dance at Russian Nationals 2010?
  2. neptune

neptune New Member

I just have one question: Once it's been captured, will it ever get released? ;)
  3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I voted for I/K! M/K have a lot of potential. Everyone eyes will be on Khokhlova and Andreev of course. Would that inflate their scores? Then there is the "old" team of Bobrova and Soloviev. LOL! World Junior champs in 2007! ANCIENT!!
  4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

ZYGOTES! :cheer2:
  5. MikiAndoFan#1

Never!

:D

I also voted for Elena & Nikita. I think they have a good shot at winning. But I would also love to see Ekaterina & Dmitri win! I love them!
  6. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov are the best junior couple ever. If Russia doesn't politik for them immediately (which includes giving them a deserved national title) they are dimwits.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I agree with the first part. Not sure about the second. I am worried that the huge success and expectations might tense them up. That would be horrible as I think as well that they are the best ice-team ever at that age.

I could see them going with Bobrova/Soloviev to give I/K a chance to get accoustemed to the Senior scene.
  8. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I think it will be B/S too.I/K in good time they are so young.
  9. parasolka

parasolka Member

I think you mixed up two champions and two golds here. Senior and junior. It seems to me shot dance is different so M/K and P/G won't take part in Russian Nationals 2011!
  10. MikiAndoFan#1

No, I didn't. I included some junior teams in this poll because I think they'll be eligible for senior nationals. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

:)
  11. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I definitely think I&K but I am impartial to B&S...
  12. Tammi

Tammi Merlot lover

They'd be eligible, but I think the point parasolka brought up is a valid one. With the new short dance format, is it feasible for teams to compete both junior and senior in the same season? In the past, the OD was exactly the same for junior/senior. Teams would just need a slight modification to the free dance and of course practice a few patterns of the applicable CD. Now, the short dance is completely different for junior/senior, so that means a brand new program just for nationals.
  13. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Makes sense. :) I am a fan of the Bobs too, she's pretty :kickass:
    I genuinely can't see I/K being affected by pressure. On the contrary, they are so young and full of ambition - I'd say they would rise to the pressure that comes with being national champions. They have Olympic Champions 2014 written all over their Ruskie Faces.
  14. parasolka

parasolka Member

The winners of Russian nationals 2010 are DomShabs. It 2011 RN you are talking here about.

Tammi put it right here - short dance difference won't let junior teams to take part in senior competition (by the way before it was CD that was different).

And moreover to be age eligible doesn't mean much for RN. Liza has already silver and bronze but is only 13 y.o.
  15. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The senior SD has a section of the Golden Waltz in it. B&S have done it, and done a good one, this season. Plus their elegant look on the ice goes very well with waltz. I&K, since they were juriors this year, and haven't been back together all that long, almost surely have some work to do there with the GW section. I would not be surprised at all to see B&S win the SD. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it by enough to win the gold medal, but I&K to win the FD.

Speaking of P&G, things have been very quiet. Any recent news? Does anyone know what programs they have this year?
  16. akkto

akkto New Member

Ilynikh and Katsalapov will be Russian numebr 1 team in years to come but I can't see them placing ahead of Bobrova and Soloviev this year yet at least internationally. Not sure about what Russian judges think
    It's too early to say though. We havent even seen their programs yet
  17. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

I much prefer I/K to B/S. But I think K/A will probably win! :lol:
  18. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I've discovered Razianova&Tkatchenko at 2010 TEB. They are fabulous. Very good skills.
    It might be close with Bobrova&Soloviev and I&Katsalopov.
  20. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Wow, you people seem about as much deviated about I/K as everyone has been about V/M lately :p only V/M really are as great (technically at least) as everyone thinks.

Personally, I don't see I/K winning with B/S yet. Just look at both teams' GP scores - B/S's highest 154.33, I/K's highest 135.05. Both teams took part in CoR, with B/S first and I/K third (and they were 3rd just because F/S withdrew, while B/S might have beaten the Italians anyway).

I really don't see why everyone is so crazy about them. They haven't won me over yet for sure. Much prefer the Shibs (who, by the way, also won with I/K this season).

You guys need to give this team more time to grow. No way they're gonna win the Nationals this year, or medal at Europeans for that matter.
    and it's not that I'm a fan of B/S. It's just facts.
  21. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Darling, look at the date the poll was created. :lol:

Anyway, this is a growing year for I/K with very demanding programs. I am relieved that Zhulin did not push them immediately into the favorite position but seems to have a long-term plan in mind.
    If they progress further there is no doubt that they will take the pole position sooner or later though.
  22. mia joy

mia joy New Member

oh, my bad :lol:
    so how come I didn't notice it earlier? :p
  23. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

My vote to B/S. they are the least attractive to me. But if they work hard and skate well, they deserve to win.

I want to have some faith to K/A, but I didn't see anything of them. In fact, it seems they won't be at RusNats
  24. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Why do you think that? Did they make some announcement? I hope that's not true - I'm dying to see what they look like together.
  25. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

I have no reliable information

but they didn't participate in any phase of Cup of Russia (Mukhortova/Blanchard did) and their names aren't listed in Golden Spin.

It is not a good sign IMO :wall:
  26. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Actually K/A are going to compete at the Golden Spin as well as Mukhortova/Blanchard, I have no idea why they are not on the list yet, but I've heard they will be there.
    As for Russian Nationals, Yana is European champion after all, I'm sure RFSF will let them compete without qualifying.

Back to the topic: B/S I think. I like other couples more, but B/S are the best technically and already have reputation, made GPF... The second will be Riazanova/Tkachenko or I/K, I hope I/K, but I like R/T a lot too. I think these two teams are very promising
  27. Ituriel

Ituriel Member

Great! Thanks for the info :biggrinbo
  28. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

:biggrinbo:biggrinbo:biggrinbo!
  29. Crazy4G&G

Crazy4G&G New Member

delete
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  30. akkto

akkto New Member

I´m totally with mia joy.
    Most of posts in this thread are from the beginning of the season, so I guess that after seeing the GP people might have a different opinion.
    I/K are good but and have the potential to be great, but at this point they have so much to improve on: especially on lifts. Their transitions are ok and they move very fast but Nikita always looks a bit out of control.
    I much prefer Riazanova and Tkachenko. Their programs are way better and their interpretation is one the bests out there.
    Bobrova and Soloviev already have PCS on their side and it will be impossible for R/T to beat them at Nationals, but I´d be so happy if Katya and Ilya won
  31. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I love I/K and think they are fantastic but their programs this season aren't nearly as good as their ones from last season and so far that has hurt their scores in international competition. If they can perform really well at nationals though, I could see them winning gold there.
  32. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I cant see any Russian team beating B/S this year. They are very real medal threats for Worlds this year, especialy if V/M dont end up competing (and they probably wont).
  33. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

ITA :)
  34. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

The results of the GPF must have the Rus Fed totally :confused::confused: over who should be their No 1 team. B/S did themselves no favors with their numbers there, and just may have put themselves out of the running for the No 1 spot [IMO they definitely SHOULD have].

I/K may be looking a better bet now than they did immediately after CoR - esp if they can deliver 2 strong performances at Nats. OTOH R/T look like stronger contenders than they did at the start of the season - they made a strong finish in Paris. Although I dont like the FD at all, I think their SD is one of the best of the season.
  35. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Actually B/S have an advantage because they qualified to the GPF and other teams did not. I'm pretty sure they will be #1 at least for this season, though if they will have troubles with twizzles at Nationals again it can go either way.
    I/K and R/T are young, it's I/K's first year in seniors and the second for R/T, maybe it will be good for them to go to Euros as Russian #2 and #3, cause it means less pressure.
  36. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it will also mean they will get marked down by the judges because they are the 2nd and 3rd team - whether they deserve it or not - which sucks :(

And both R/T and I/K ended their GP events on an upswing. R/T with a silver medal and very high marks in the SD, I/K with a really strong performance in the FD. Although B/S made the GPF, their marks there were on the same level as the 3rd Canadian team and H/Z. That's not the group they want to be challenging as Russian No 1.

It's all going to make Russian Nationals very interesting. :watch:
  37. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

LaKhokh and Andreev are ahead of R/T in the voting? Will the Russian judges be awarding PCS scores in the "hotties" category?
  38. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Golden Spin results
    Pl. Name Nation Points SD FD
    1 Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE 131.00 2 1
    2 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitaliy BUTIKOV RUS 130.05 1 2

Clearly not Gorshkova & Butikov, if they can lose to the Czechs.
  39. laviemn

laviemn New Member

This happens to every team at their Euros/Worlds debut. It doesn't mean they are doomed to stay in this order for the rest of their careers. For example, Davis/White going into their first Worlds as the No. 2 US team didn't keep them from moving into No. 1 when they improved. And it didn't keep them from beating more senior teams at their first Worlds either.

What R/T and I/K should do is take a lesson from D/W's playbook and always be prepared to take advantage when more senior teams are injured, unprepared, or stagnating. This means starting the season well-trained and with their programs well-developed. Of course, this isn't possible if they're injured, or if Tarasova orders them to change their FD in, like, September and they're obliged to kiss her ring.

If B/S are considered weakened because they barely beat W/P and H/Z at the GPF, you have to consider that R/T were beaten by W/P at Skate America and I/K were beaten by both in their GPs. Neither R/T nor I/K beat anyone established in their GPs, while B/S beat the reigning World bronze medalists once and were leading them when F/S pulled out of CoR. There's no way of knowing that either team would have fared better than B/S if they had gone to the GPF. Logically, B/S still come out ahead.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  40. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I think they did suffer from being the no. 2 team - esp evident at 2009 Worlds.

I disagree. B/S got their best scores on home ice in a competition where half the field pulled out. The GPF was the place to show those scores were not a fluke. But the finished some 18 points below their CoR scores.

R/T won their silver medal on neutral ice and were almost 10 points higher than at SA - showing they're improving throughout the season - as they should be.

I/K had a bad SD, but pulled themselves together in the FD and were about 7 points higher than at NHK - with better lifts and improvements in their program.

Both these teams are getting better. I'm not sure what B/S are doing. But I guess we'll see soon enough - isnt Rus Nat this weekend?