Who do you consider the 3 greatest male actors of our time?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Aug 26, 2011.

?

Who do you consider the 3 greatest male movie actors of our era?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2012.
  1. Jack Nicholson

19 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Dustin Hoffman

28 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Daniel Day Lewis

32 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Tom Hanks

45 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Michael Douglas

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Sean Penn

18 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. Anthony Hopkins

43 vote(s)
    35.8%
  8. Colin Firth

31 vote(s)
    25.8%
  9. Geoffrey Rush

18 vote(s)
    15.0%
  10. Johnny Depp

35 vote(s)
    29.2%
  11. Ben Kingsley

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  12. Other

34 vote(s)
    28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Looking at only the male actors that are currently acting, who do you think are the 3 greatest of our time? I have not included actors like Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, etc. because it is tough to compare the great ones from different era.

You can use any criteria you want to define greatness, but the way I selected these is -

Consistently great performances in multiple movies. Most of them have won Oscars (some of them more than once), but winning an Oscar should not be the sole criterion for greatness, IMO.

Due to the limit of 12, I had to exclude some deserving actors like Philip Seymore Hoffman, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, etc.

2. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:shuffle: "Other" ... Kevin Spacey and Leonardo DiCaprio. Those two are astoundingly versatile.

For those on your list, I'd go with DDL.

Sean Penn chews the scenery like no other since William Shatner. :scream:

3. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Tom Hanks, for sure. The man is hilarious and is also a fine dramatic actor (see Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, heck...even his Oscar speech for Philadelphia should have won an Oscar). He also produces amazing works (i.e. Band of Brothers).

For the other two, I'm going to go with actors from the younger generation: Ryan Gosling and Leonardo DiCaprio. Ryan has definitely proven his worth in movies such as Lars and the Real Girl and Blue Valentine. I thought Leo was fantastic in Revolutionary Road, and he has really turned into a great leading man. I can also never forget his great performance in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I've never really seen these two do much comedy, so if they could both take comedic roles and do well, I'd put them in the same league as Mr. Hanks.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Add me as another "other" vote for Leo. He's amazingly versatile.
    I also went with Tom Hanks and Johnny Depp. I think both are terrific.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. Nan

Nan Just me

This was hard, but in the end I went with Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks and Anthony Hopkins. Any one of those names will draw my interest to a movie.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I did think of Leo and Spacey, but I had to make some difficult choices. I wish we could name 15 on the poll.

I also had to drop out Philipe Seymore-Hoffman, to make room for Johnny Depp.

I love Ryan Gosling. May be we need another poll for the relatively younger actors. All those on this poll are rather 'old'.:lol:

It was much harder to create this poll than I had anticipated. :)

7. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I voted DDL, Tom Hanks, and Anthony Hopkins, but would have voted for Robert De Niro if he were on the list...

8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Morgan Freeman, Daniel Day Lewis, Geoffrey Rush. And I really like Leo, Anthony Hopkins, and Colin Firth, as well. Colin was unbelievable in The King's Speech(as was Rush), but he still tends to get the type cast uptight roles, and he isn't quite as versatile as some.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I just re-watched Inception and was very much impressed by Leo. He's been in a boatload of great movies in the past couple of decades - definitely worth mentioning among the greats.

My other choice was Johnny Depp, simply for his portrayal of Jack Sparrow :D

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That's another one I missed. Thanks for pointing that out.

11. sequins

sequins New Member

Morgan Freeman 100%! He is just so likeable and so amazing at what he does. Also voted for Sean Penn(the man has an amazing talent IMO) and the others a toss up but I took Johnny Depp. Amazingly versatile, so gifted and not to hard on the eyes(that's what clinched it;))

12. Nan

Nan Just me

I didn't think of Morgan Freeman. Make him 3a on my list. :lol:

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Even though their careers have slowed down, GĂ©rard Depardieu, Daniel Auteuil, Max Von Sydow, Al Pacino, and Robert De Niro should also have been on this list. They can all still deliver the goods. Javier Bardem should have been on the list too.

Depardieu would probably be my first choice, with Rush and Day Lewis right up there too. Ask me another day, though, and I might rank everyone differently.

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I have to agree with all the men on that list and all the others not on that list, we have a great crop of young actors. My mom thought they all died with Henry Fonda, I told her she was wrong.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Where's David Hasselhoff?

16. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Ed Norton, Denzel Washington, and Jim Carrey (in serious roles)

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

In terms of versatility, I have to say Sean Penn and Ben Kingsley.

18. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Tom Hanks is so so so so so good - you don't even know he is good because it seems like it is just him each time despite the range required of him. He is incredibly versatile and always believable.

I also voted for Colin Firth - who is amazing in "The King's Speech" and "A Single Man" among others -and although I agree that his roles have not required as much of a range - what is going on behind his eyes even in films like "Love Actually" is fantastic.

For my 3rd I chose the incredible Ben Kingsley but I could have gone with Johnny Depp for his wonderful range of roles from Edward Scissorhands to Ed Wood and then to Gilbert Grape. I love that he hasn't relied on his good looks but instead has made such interesting choices.

Actually there are many good actors in here.

I did NOT choose Daniel Day Lewis because although sometimes his work is very good - sometimes I find it apallingly bad - as in "Gangs of New York".

Also I remember when I was young thinking he was great in "In the Name of the Father" until I did a workshop with Keith Johnstone where he pointed out that in that movie you spent your time watching it thinking 'What a good actor Daniel Day Lewis Is" but so much of the time thinking "Please let things work out for that poor man" about the Dad - Pete Posselthwait's character. Honestly that moment in that workshop was an epiphany for me of how I think about acting. And that is why when I read this thread I thought of Tom Hanks right away.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Other=Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton

20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Don't scoff at the Hoff! :rofl:

21. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Adding in Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon, Jude Law, Edward Norton Jr and Denzel Washington....although from the list, Johnny Depp, Colin Firth and Tom Hanks got my votes.

22. duane

duane New Member

Sean Penn (Numero Uno!!), Johnny Depp, and Matt Damon.

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Maybe it is an age thing, but I still think that Dustin Hoffman has done incredible work -- The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy, Rain Man, and then his comedic work with Tootsie, Meet the Fockers and Kung Fu Panda, and some excellent, nuanced acting in Kramer vs. Kramer. Two Academy Awards as best actor, and a bunch of nominations.

24. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Leo, speaking of Hanks, was pretty memorable and funny as Hanks' foil in "Catch Me if You Can", but yeh other than that I don't remember him doing comedy. LD already has an enormous resume of great performances, and for me at least he most disappears into a role ... unlike some others, even greats like Nicholson, DiCaprio makes me forget that it's "DiCaprio ACT-ING" when I'm watching him.

25. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I'd include DeNiro and Al Pacino, even though the latter's Oscar winning performance makes me cringe.

26. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I voted for Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks and Other for both Ryan Gosling and Leonardo Dicaprio.

The only Geoffrey Rush movie I've been is POTC :shuffle:

27. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I voted for Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins and other. My other actor is the GREAT Gary Oldman. I think Oldman is one of the most underrated actors in history, period.

I voted for Hanks and Hopkins because they are do anything, comedy, romance, drama...you name it they can do it.

I wanted to add Brad Pitt. I think Mr. Pitt is underrated. His body work is so good. He is a very very versatile actor. In a matter of 2 years Pitt did 12 Monkeys, Seven, Kalifornia and Legends of the Fall.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I've always loved Jeff Bridges so he is my top choice. I like actors that disappear into their roles so my other two choices would be Gary Oldman and Jeffrey Wright (I think he is the greatest living African-American actor.)

29. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I went with other for all three....

Robert Downey Jr.--is incredibly versatile

Russell Crowe--I know he's a jerk in real life, but he makes a lot of good films

Leo DiCaprio--building an outstanding resume of very watchable films

30. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Russell Crowe maybe a jerk but an incredible actor his is.

I think Mel Gibson is very good actor but a nasty human being. The same way I feel about Morgan Freeman. Freeman is a great actor but I have issues with him with dating his step granddaughter.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.