Who do you consider the 3 greatest actresses of our time?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Aug 26, 2011.

?

Who do you consider the 3 greatest actresses of our time?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2012.
  1. Meryl Streep

119 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Helen Mirren

68 vote(s)
    46.6%
  3. Kate Winslett

58 vote(s)
    39.7%
  4. Cate Blanchett

53 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. Natalie Portman

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Julianne Moore

13 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. Nicole Kidman

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Hillary Swank

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. Annette Bening

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  10. Susan Sarandon

17 vote(s)
    11.6%
  11. Viola Davis

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. Other

36 vote(s)
    24.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

This one is even harder than the men to pick just 11 (and 'other').

Again, I had to drop the 'past' actresses to make this more manageable and still many deserving actresses had to be dropped.

Honorable mentions: Amy Adams, Kathy Bates, Judi Dench, Michelle Williams, Helena Bonham-Carter, Sally Fields, Melissa Leo (except for her Oscar winning speech :lol)

Anyway, who do you consider the three greatest actresses of our time? I know the 'Other' will get lots of votes. You can define greatness in your own way. I am looking at consistently excellent performances by the actress, usually over many years (though that does not apply very well to the young ones).
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Nan

Nan Just me

Sorry, this one is impossible for me! :lol:
  3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Where's Pam Anderson?
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I was in two minds about Hillary Swank. She has won two Oscars but rest of her work has not impressed me. Still, I could not ignore the Oscars, so she got on the list.

Among the young and upcoming actresses, I am looking forward to what Jessica Chastain can do. She seems so versatile. Also Saoirse (?) Ronan - among others- seems to have great potential.
  5. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Judi Dench deserves way more than an honorable mention.
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Honorable mention to Susan Sarandon.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Initially I was going to place her in the options (also Kathy Bates) but when I thought more about it, it just seemed like she really had just one really big performance 'Mrs. Brown'. All others were small roles where she was phenomenal. Her Oscar was more of a consolation prize. I would have liked to see her in more major roles. That is not to deny what a great actress she is, but as I said earlier, it was very hard to pick only 11 actresses. On another day, she might have been in the 11 I chose. I should have probably replaced Viola Davis, but I was influenced (perhaps incorrectly) couple of recent roles by Viola.
  8. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Meryl Streep & Hillary Swank for me :)
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

"Nicole Kidman's Prosthetic Nose" would be faring better than "Nicole Kidman" proper. :EVILLE:

But far easier if you were limited to only 4 or 5 choices, methinks.
  10. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

I would give an honorable mention to Frances McDormand.
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

:lol:

I was never a fan of Kidman, but she started winning me over with Dogville (even if I disliked the film), Birthday Girl, and Rabbit Hole. I think what amazed me in Rabbit Hole (and to a lesser extent Nine) was that she was able to show facial expression again after being heavily botoxed for years
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Interesting suggestion!
  13. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

^ I'm wondering, did "choices" confuse my point? I'd meant it would be far easier "if the poll was limited to offering only 4 or 5 selection options"

re, Kidman. I joke, but I also agree that she was much better in Rabbit Hole than she's been in a while (or ever). Much like the four older Desperate Housewives in their first season or two, NK's frozen face was a big detriment to her acting. Thankfully, unlike Cher and so many other actresses who literally sliced their TRUE acting careers short, those who get Botox are not receiving a permanent mask.
  14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I think it's too early to put Portman on here.
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I wish we had an 'edit' button to change poll options; I might have taken a couple of actresses off the poll and put in a couple of more deserving ones.

BTW Natalie has been acting since she was 12, so she has been around a long time, and had some pretty good performances before Black Swan.
  16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

This question is dependent on your age/ generation, etc. I mean for some, the answer might be Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus :lol:.
  17. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

"Other"; Tilda Swinton and Alfre Woodard...
  18. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

Another vote for Frances McDormand.
  19. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Glenn Close, anyone?
  20. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I agree, but the poll is about the 3 greatest actresses of our time. I'm sure that, given time, she will be up there. It's like Jodie Foster. She acted in many movies, from a young age. You'd have to agree that she was good, but then came a period where she was great.
  21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I understood right away what you meant. :)
  22. emason

emason Well-Known Member

If you meant only movie performances, you should have said so. Judi Dench has quite a legacy of stage and TV performances as well. Also, I don't think the size of the role matters; either she was fabulous or she wasn't. Dench is, IMHO, the best M the Bond franchise has had, even if it is a small role.
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sorry, in the mens poll I specified 'movies', which I forgot to do in this one. Even then I agree that Judi Dench is a great actress. I am not familiar with her stage work, so I am leaving out that area completely.
  24. Nan

Nan Just me

no
  25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

These poll results are so lopsided that I may have to do a 'final round' poll with the top vote getters (and Judi Dench, perhaps).
  26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Portman doesn't belong on this list at all IMO.
  27. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I had to choose one "other" along with Streep and Mirren, but it's too hard to choose just one actress. Judi Dench and Maggie Smith are some of my favorites, but I love a lot of character actresses like Kathy Bates, Alfre Woodard, and Allison Janney as well. And I cannot forget the greatest commediene of our generation (IMO), Carol Burnett, even though her biggest fame is from television.

Choices, choices, choices. :drama:
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm curious if anyone who did not vote for Streep would care to explain why? She's the one that I didn't even need to think about twice. (Apparently 6 of the 32 voters so far did not vote for Streep if I'm reading the poll results accurately.)
  29. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:eek: In that case, excuse me, I'll be right back ... must assemble all my pseuds to pad Julianne's numbers.

Also:

Late shout-out to Laura Linney :swoon: ... Best Actress in an Understated Role
  30. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I love Laura Linney. I don't know how I missed her in the honorable mention list.
  31. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:lol: Well, we don't expect you to cover every scenario and every possible challenger, vash! (At least, most of us don't! :shuffle:)

Polls R fun ... no other requirements needed.
  32. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Sandrine Bonnaire, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Juliette Binoche, and Catherine Deneuve should have been on this list. Maggie Smith has been doing character roles many years now, but she's another one of the greats.

My top two would be Streep and Bonnaire. Third would be a very difficult choice, possibly either Cotillard or Cruz.
  33. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Fran Drescher?
  34. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I simply love Penelope Cruz.
  35. topaz

topaz New Member

OMgoodness, fabulous actresses. One of my favorite movies of all time is Orlando.

I picked Streep, Mirren and Blanchett.

Both Streep and Mirren are iconic actresses. I love Mirren's performances. I was 20 when I saw the Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. I was blowed away by this film and it is such a raw and graphic movie. I love it.
  36. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My favorite actress is Emma Thompson (and I love that she is an accomplished screen writer as well.)

Also Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet...
  37. topaz

topaz New Member

Can't believe no one has mentioned Helena Bonham Carter
  38. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

LOL

Cher?
  39. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I have no idea but for me it wouldn't be Meryl Streep. I can't stand her performances whatsoever. They're all the same OTT in your face disturbingly so called acclaimed performances that just make me sigh and turn off the TV. (I have rarely ever been to the movies).
  40. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

To me, Streep and Mirren are head and shoulders ahead of everyone else here.

I'd like to mention that Francis McDormand needs to be listed too. She's very underrated and is ALWAYS good.