Whistler Sled Dog Company Killed 100 Dogs After Post-Olys Slump (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jan 31, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

Oh gawd... I have sled dogs, I've been a musher most of my life. I'm NOT going to read this or I'll be sick.

3. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I don't have sled dogs...I'm more of a cat person than a dog person, and I'm not going to read it either. The thread title made me sick.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I had to change the radio station driving in this morning when that story came on.

Sometimes humans really suck.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

This is sickening. It's horrible to put all those dogs down (can they not go to rescue owners?) but to do it brutally is just uncalled for.

Sad, because going dog sledding has always been on my Alaska vacation plans, but now I wonder if supporting tourist operations is a very bad idea...

6. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I won't be reading it either, but will say RIP doggies...it's a shame some humans are heartless. I hope that company gets put out of business. Bastards.

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, there's no way I could read this article. I would have just quit or let myself be fired, there's no way I would have killed those dogs.

8. Artemis@BC

In the case of sled dogs, it's extremely difficult to "rescue" them. They're bred & trained to be pack animals, and they don't transition well to a normal pet environment. The only intervention possible would be to send them somewhere North where they could continue their lives as sled dogs.

But don't get me started on how inappropriate I think it is to even have a "tourist attraction" featuring sleds dogs in the first place ...

9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

This is horrible. :revenge:

10. Skittl1321

Thanks for the explanation. They still should have gone to a vet to be euthanized, if that was the only solution.

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this man has to take responsibility for his part in all of this. Should he have ever been asked to do that? Absolutely not, but he was and he went ahead and did it. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't have done it for even 1 dog, let alone 100. Even if a dog was sick, I would have taken it to the vet and had it done the right way. I don't care if my job was threatened and I knew I had the last job on earth. I couldn't have done it. He has to take responsibility for his fair share. No one made him do this, he was asked and he obliged.

12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

How utterly horrific! :( Poor dogs....

13. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I'm not going to read it. Just knowing it happened has made me :fragile::wuzrobbed: I'm going to cuddle with my puppies and mourn those poor dogs :(

14. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That is just sick. Sick, sick, sick.

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

monstrous

16. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I am so mad right now. I would have driven up there to adopted one, had I known about this.:mad:

17. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Sick. I've booked other tour packages with Outdoor Adventures, but I'm going to tell them that my partner and I refuse to book with them any more.

18. Guinevere

Guinevere New Member

I agree. I heard it first thing this morning on the news and my first thought was I hope this stupid company is punished!!! If not with criminal charges (not sure if there are any?) then at least I hope everyone remembers the name of the company and NEVER USES THEM AGAIN. Poor babies, they didn't deserve that!!! :mad: :(

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I agree. Even shooting the dogs one at a time (like had been previously done) may not have guaranteed instant death.

And for those of you who hold the employee as accountable as the company (or moreso), keep in mind that when it came time for me to end my senior thesis project, I preferred that my 30 quail die peacefully by my hands rather than in the mouths of coyotes or some other unfamiliar place where their well-being could not be guaranteed. It's very possible that this man thought the same, but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of dogs involved and the utter chaos that ensued. When shooting a dog is an accepted manner of euthanasia, maybe he thought that he'd be able to handle more than one, but it turned into something completely out of his control due to the sheer number of them.

Not that I agree with any of this, of course. They should have taken them to be euthanized peacefully. Not like this. :fragile:

20. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I did read the story and, while I wanted to know what happened, I can truthfully say that I feel more disgusted and horrified than have by anything in a very long time.

21. coquelicot

coquelicot New Member

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I read this. I think it's tragic that they couldn't find any work or homes for these poor pups.

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

24. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I was talking about this situation at work today. My dog lover boss was horrified but thought what kind of sick individual would agree to kill the dogs in the first place? I agree with her too. How he killed them was disgusting. Why not euthanize them humanely? Oh that is right... a vet said they wouldn't euthanize perfectly healthy dogs.

And all of this was based on them thinking the business would boom after the Olympics. How revolting. This whole situation makes me sick and has completely turned me off of Outdoor Adventures and the people involved should get more than just a 6 month jail sentence// or $10000 fine. Twisted. :(

25. Artemis@BC

The provincial government announced yesterday that they're striking a task force to look into this particular incident in specific and related matters in general (including regulatory requirements for reporting across agencies -- i.e., why WorkSafe couldn't/wouldn't report this incident when they found about it last year).

On the plus side, the head of the inquiry is a former vet, and I guess investigating a matter after the fact is better than nothing.

On the minus side ... well, it's a government inquiry. :rolleyes: Initiated by the same government that cut provincial grants to the SPCA, and gutted various departments that had jurisdiction over regulating and investigating what happens on Crown lease land.

26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

“A veterinarian was contacted, but refused to euthanize healthy animals. Attempts were made to adopt out the dogs with only limited success.”

Which is always the catch when you need to dispose of animals (though it's generally brought up in the context of large animals like horses.) Most vets are not going to want to euthanize, by chemical or by Bell gun, animals that are perfectly healthy.

Not to mention the MASSIVE biohazard that many chemically-euthanized carcasses would cause...you can't bury them without taking extreme care at that point because if something gets at the carcass, the scavenger will die, and when the bodies rot the barbituates leach into the groundwater. You have to incinerate them, compost in a bunker situation (rather than a pile) or render them (ie send to a facility that processes animal carcasses for non-food parts.) Chemical euth isn't a good way to dispose of that many animals at once so I can see why they'd shoot them, but not why they'd apparently take a Keystone Kops method of doing it.

I would be curious to see what proof they have that they did try to rehome the dogs as the second article has the quote from another dogsled tour company about not have been contacted to take any. While they don't generally make good house pets (even non-sled-trained Huskies and Malamutes don't make great pets without exactly the right kind of owner and situation) and wouldn't be great candidates for rehoming, one would think they'd have tried other tour companies and breeders first to see if they needed or wanted the dogs.

28. Skittl1321

I thought they said something like 40 of the best dogs did go to other sled dog companies...

ETA: It was actually 75.
    that was May 2010 though