Which year was Fumie Suguri's best chance of winning Worlds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Nov 27, 2010.

Which year was Fumie's best shot of winning Worlds

1. 2002

2.0%
  2. 2003

2.0%
  3. 2004

3.1%
  4. 2005

2.0%
  5. 2006

66.3%
  6. She never had a chance really

24.5%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Looking back over the career of Fumie Suguri which year was her best chance to win Worlds. Or did she ever have a year she really had a hope of doing so.

2. judgejudy27

I voted for 2004 since she had the momentum of winning the GP final and since her understudy at that point- Arakawa, end up winning. I think if Fumie didnt bomb the Q round she would have done very well that year.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Definitely 2006 because two of the Olympic medallists (Shizuka, Irina) were absent. It was a foregone conclusion that Sasha would win the world championship, with Fumie placing second or third. When Sasha bombed, Fumie's chances of winning went up significantly. I attended worlds 2006 in Calgary, and it seemed like Fumie could have won if she had not made one mistake on a jump. Elena Sokolova had a poor SP and Yukari had her usual problem of leg wrap (though I loved her skating). Kimmie skated lights out but she did not have much artistry/maturity. I don't remember the final score, so it's hard to say for sure if Fumie would have won if she had not made that mistake. However, it was her best chance, for lack of competition.

4. judgejudy27

Fumie ended up 10 points back of Kimmie. She would have had to not make any of her 3 mistakes- doubled triple salchow, not stumble out of her a combination jump, and two footed combo in the short program, to have won the gold probably. Kimmie may not have had much artistry at that point but that didnt stop the judges from giving her huge PCS in the LP, probably due to the electricity of her performance.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Competition-wise, 2006 was her best bet. She won Nationals that year, and had strong performances at the Olympics. I think the judges considered Sasha and Fumie a level above the rest, certainly as far as reputation. And had the judges paid more attention to underrotations, she may have beaten Kimmie afterall.

In 2004, she had lost Nationals to Miki Ando and Shizuka was already getting a lot of buzz after moving to Tarasova. Plus Kwan, Cohen, and Kostner. (Performance-wise though, her SP and LP here were among her best. It's a shame she was buried in the QR, because her performances were good enough for at least 3rd in the SP and 2nd in the LP.)

6. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

2010 baby! Rock the turban! :cheer:

7. judgejudy27

Wow a vote for 2003 and a vote for 2005. I wasnt expecting those years to get any votes. It seems 2006 is the runaway choice. I am actually not sure if there is any year she could have won even if she skated her best even though I chose to vote for 2004. 2003 and 2005 beating Kwan at her best with momentum in the U.S or Irina at her best with momentum in Russia, those are the last 2 I could imagine her having a hope of winning to be honest.

Come to think of it though there is one thing I never considered. She never beat Michelle Kwan once in her career out of probably a huge # of meetings. Add to that even Michelle herself only won 1 time out of 2002-2005, and was only 3rd and 4th in 04 and 05. So I guess in that sense 2006 would be her best shot since according to her career stats beating Michelle is impossible for her, so winning a year Michelle was entered would be impossible, let alone years Michelle didnt even win or wasnt close to winning.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

For Fumie to win a world title, her competition had to have a melt down and she needed to skate nearly clean. I think she may have come closest in 2006 to winning because in 2004 both Sasha and Michelle were competing (neither won anyway, but dark horse Shizuka did)

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

:lol:

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

None of the above. I vote for "Other". 2011!!! :respec: :40beers: :cheer2:

I admire someone who does what they love in spite of the flack others might dish out. Life is for doing what you love. She is a shining role model. :)

BlackPack and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

1962?

12. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:lol: What a sad day it would be for the sport if this were to happen.

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

2006 just because I wanted her to win and MOVE ON.

At that time Suguri, Cohen, Kostner, Sokolova and Rochette were probably the only medal contenders. No World Champions attended these Worlds and the first four were the only previous medallists. All of them had had at least one strong free skates that season. Cohen did great at Nationals and of course medalled in Turin, Kostner and Sokolova was great at Euros, and Rochette and Suguri came off a great Olympics.

At that time I thought Cohen, being the reigning silver medalist and top seed, and Suguri, being the most reliable of the 5, were the only title contenders. Cohen's weak qualifying actually gave me hope that Suguri had a chance.

If a stricter caller was at the event Suguri probably would have won as was. And might I say, she deserved to too.

How great would it have been if she had won, so she could turn pro along with Arakawa, instead of struggling to make the team 5 seasons later and hoping to salvage a win somewhere for closure.

14. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Suguri might be retiring after this season.

15. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

by her choice?

16. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

2006 due to many reasons already stated above. Though her best routines were in 2005 and her best performances at Worlds in the SP and LP was probably 2004. That said, her 2006 SP was fantastic.

18. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Here's a thought - had there been a stricter technical caller in 2006 Worlds - would the order of the results have changed? (Sorry I don't recall how many 3-3's Kimmie Meissner had).

19. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

:confused:Why is 2011 not listed as an option?:confused::lol:

Fumie!:glamor:

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I voted none. She was a consistent podium threat from 2002 - 2006 but there was always someone big blocking her path to the top.

In '03, a rejuvenated and no longer coachless multi-medalist Kwan, plus a much-hyped Cohen w/ TT, were going to be competing on home ice and I think the prognosticators at the time were focused on them. Plus, with Slute out and Bute retired, the Russian Fed was going to really be behind Sokolova and her 3-3. It eclipsed Fumie and I don't think she had a chance.

In '04, Shizuka, who was already improving in '03 was now w/ TT. Kwan was defending World Champ and as always, Cohen was much-hyped and her Swan Lake beat Kwan for the first time at a cheesefest in the Fall of '03. The judges would have given it to Cohen with good skates IMO. Again, Fumie was possibly a medal threat based on the last 2 years but not for the top. She didn't have an 'it' factor to move past Kwan or Cohen. I think Shiz was steadily climbing and would've been hard for Fumie to deal with by herself.

In '05, Kwan and Cohen were not in the best shape leading to worlds but Slute was back with a vengeance and would compete on home ice in Moscow for Worlds. Shiz was now defending world champ and had the JSF recognition as #1 JPN lady along with whiz kid Miki Ando. At this point, Fumie wasn't really on anyone's radar, although IIRC she had the best JPN lady finish at '05 Worlds.

21. judgejudy27

I find Fumie similar to Butyrskaya in that she always seemed like a podium threat but hardly ever a gold threat. The only difference is Maria was seen as a gold threat from 99-2001, but only since she lucked out to win a Worlds with her own erratic skating peaking in a weaker transition year with other than Kwan (who fell anyway) no real competition. And that reptuation carried her to being a bigger threat for awhile, until it began to fade away late in the 2000-2001 season.

22. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I remember in 2006 thinking that the gold medal was basically going to be handed to Sasha unless she had a melt down and in that scenario, Fumie would end up with the gold. That was the only time I think I ever considered Fumie a gold medal contender at worlds. never in a million years thought Kimmie would win.

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Fumie would have won Worlds in 2006 if underrotations had been part of the scoring system at that time.

24. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I agree.

25. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I voted 2006, but also 2004 I thought she had a chance

26. judgejudy27

I agree on 2006 as well. I like Meissner alot but she was lucky that the UR calls were so leanient at the time.

It is too bad Fumie didnt get the bronze at the 2006 Olympics and gold at the 2006 Worlds. She could have retired in peace rather than going through this tortoreous experience the last 5 years for what exactly I am not sure. Had she not doubled her triple flip she might have gotten the bronze at the 06 Olympics over a very subpar Slutskaya.

27. judgejudy27

Just also interesting you didnt even mention 2006 which is the year almost everyone voted for. What are your thoughts on that year?

It must have been frusterating for Fumie to never develop into World or Olympic Champion material after reaching podium level much earlier than Shizuka, yet seeing Shizuka who was behind her all those years blow past her and become World and Olympic Champion. It is pretty obvious comparing the two Shizuka is the more naturally talented though, despite that Fumie was above her most of their careers.

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

You know, you are right. I don't know how I totally neglected '06 :eek:

Actually, this would have been the year for Fumie to grab gold. Pre-competition, the only one standing in her way was Cohen and she bombed the LP. There was really no one else - Slute and Arakawa retired. I think Ando was out [wasn't there a deal with the JSF that year that Ando despite a low finish at JPN Nats would go to Torino but another skater would go to worlds??]

And yes, maybe with a win here she would've retired satisfied with her record, and not become the hot mess we see before us today

29. judgejudy27

I got the impression Fumie's motivation to continue at first was the elusive World title and maybe even the elusive Olympic medal (though winning that age age 29 was always going to be a huge long shot) she just missed in 2006. Once it became increasingly clear both goals were out of reach it is strange she has continued on. Or maybe she has another motivation nobody really knows. Unless somehow it isnt clear to her yet these stated goals are completely out of any reach which would be sad if that is the case.

30. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Well, she said in an interview that professional skating is next to nonexistent in Japan. I do think she has a point; skaters who enjoy competing should be able to do so on a professional circuit.