Which Was The Greatest Performance Of A Program By A Ladies Singles Skater Ever?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Dec 27, 2011.

?

Which was the greatest performance of a program by a ladies singles skater ever?

Poll closed Jan 26, 2012.
  1. Midori ito - 1989 World Championships - LP

47 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Katarina Witt - 1987 World Championships - LP

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Kim Yu-Na - 2010 Olympics - SP

36 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Michelle Kwan - 1998 US Nationals - LP

96 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Janet Lynn - 1970 US Nationals - LP

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Tara Lipinski - 1998 Olympics - LP

14 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. Oksana Baiul - 1994 Olympics - LP

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Kristi Yamaguchi - 1992 US Nationals - LP

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Elizabeth Manley - 1988 Olympics - LP

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. Denise Biellmann - 1981 World Championships - LP

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. Other

30 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

The greatest performance I ever saw in a ladies figure skating competition was without doubt Midori Ito's long program at the 1989 World Championships. Not only did she become the first lady to land a triple axel in a major international competition and also land all 6 different types of triple in a single program (i.e. axel, lutz, salchow, flip, loop, and toe-loop), but the rapturous reception she got from the crowd at the end of it made the hairs on the back of your head stand up - it was that awesome.

But which do you believe was the best? As always, the nominations are bound to be controversial and inevitably I will have missed out somebodies favourite (and apologies for that) - in which case please pick 'other'.

Links to Nominations

1. Midori Ito - 1989 World Championships - FS - first ever triple axel by a lady, all 6 different types of triple in a single program. It changed the landscape of ladies figure skating forever, forcing other skaters to inject greater technical difficulty into their programs. What more can you say.

2. Katarina Witt - 1987 World Championships - FS - Without doubt, Katarina's finest performance ever - not only for its artistic and technical content, but due to the extreme pressure on her to perform. Unlike many skaters who fold under the pressure, Katarina thrived under it. For me, therefore, she was the greatest competitor in ladies figure skating ever and that ultimately is what made her a double Olympic champion.

3. Michelle Kwan - 1998 US Nationals - FS - Michelle at her very best skating to Lyra Angelica. This performance was so good that it earned eight 6.0's for presentation and left 1 judge in tears. Her Rachmaninoff SP in the same competition was just as good and I had a difficult time deciding which of the two was her best ever, but I think the LP just edges it. Nevertheless, if you prefer the SP and believe that that was the best, then just vote for this option given that both programs were in the same competition. Here is the link to her SP: Michelle Kwan - 1998 US Nationals - SP

4. Kim Yu-Na - 2010 Olympics - SP - the greatest short program in COP history, earning Bond Girl, Kim, an incredible 78.50 points (triple lutz-triple toe loop combination, a triple flip and a double axel. Spirals and spins - level four. Her artistry/PCS - simply amazing). Whilst I preferred her Olympic SP to her LP, the FS was pretty darn perfect too and if you prefer that to the SP, then vote for this option given that they were in the same competition. Here is the link to her LP: Kin Yu-Na - 2010 Olympics - LP. The FS scored a COP world record 150.06 (consisting of a 3Zx3T combination, a 3F, a 2Ax2Tx2R combination, a 2Ax3T combination, a 3S, a 3Z, and a 2A. Spirals & spins - level 4's. She also garnered 9's for her PCS - simply incredible). Kims combined Olympic score was a COP world record of 228.56.

5. Janet Lynn - 1970 US Nationals - FS - skating to 'Afternoon of a Faun'. Pure art on ice and an object lesson in why there is more to figure skating than jumps and technical content.

6. Tara Lipinski - 1998 Olympics - FS - the skate of Tara's life (7 triples, including a 3R x 3R combination and right at the end, a 3T x half R x 3S combination).

7. Oksana Baiul - 1994 Olympics - FS - a magical performance which displayed exquisite artistry, charisma, and verve. The jumps may have been a bit dodgy, but these were the great days before COP when artistry still mattered in figure skating. Whilst Kerrigan also put in a great performance as well, Oksana had the x-factor which connected with the audience and ultimately that's what won her the gold medal.

8. Kristi Yamaguchi - 1992 US Nationals - FS - Kristi at her very best and she even managed to land her bete noire, the triple salchow. In fact, its practically flawless and Sports Illustrated described it as one of the most "complete performances on ice". There were 7 triples which included a 3Zx3T combination, 3Z, 3S, 3R, 3T, and 3F. This was the extremely impressive arsenal that would later enable her to beat Midori Ito to take the 1992 Olympic title.

9. Elizabeth Manley - 1988 Olympics - FS - so good that it almost deprived Katarina Witt (with her Carmen LP) of her second Olympic title. Nevertheless, it was the best long program of the night and enabled Liz to edge out Debi Thomas for the silver medal.

10. Denise Biellmann - 1981 World Championships - FS - the first lady to land a triple lutz (at the 1978 European Championships) and light years ahead of her contemporaries as a free skater. This was Denise Biellmann at her best complete with her trademark spin (and her layback was pretty good as well) and the beautiful choreography that were a hallmark of her programs.

11. An honourable mention - please pick 'other' if you think there is another performance out there that was the best ever which I imagine a lot will do given that there are zillions of performances to choose from. Me, I think this performance warrants an honourable mention as does the person who did the cgi (what incredible realism)............!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for these links. Some i loved seeing again and some i have never seen.

3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

4. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Why did Denis Biellmann retire so early? She was light years ahead of the field technically and artistically in the early 80s. She could've easily won gold many times over at worlds and even in Calgary 88.

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

For me, it's Tara in Nagano. The program was a fusion of athleticism and glory that has never since been matched.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching several of the programs.

I think Midori had the all time best technically. Yu Na probably had the most perfect program. For me, though, it comes down to emotional magic and that's Michelle. I was in there to watch it. The only problem with the video is that Dick and Peggy were too excited and couldn't be quiet. I wonder if there is a video out there with no commentary.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

If you'd put Yu Na's LP from 2010, I may have voted for that, but I'd pick Sasha's 2004 World's SP over Yu Na's 2010 SP any day.

And since SPs apparently count, I'll do just that. Sasha Cohen 2004 Worlds Short Program.

annie_mg and (deleted member) like this.
  8. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I was also going to say Sasha's 2004 Worlds SP. Loved it!

9. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Ask, and you shall receive. :)

98 Lyra Angelica - No Commentary

Someone in the audience recorded her skate apparently, and I'm so thankful they posted it. It's a rare treat to see the skate with just the music and audience. Never thought I'd actually get to see it in this way.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Yes - it was a wonderful performance and my favourite Sasha skate. However, it wasn't flawless. She doubled out on the toe-loop on the 3zx3t combination. Nevertheless, it was certainly the best SP at the 2004 Worlds and if only Sasha's LP performance had been executed as well as her SP, then she would have beaten Arakawa that year to become world champion. However, as all long suffering Sasha fans like myself are aware, unfortunately she just couldn't skate 2 clean programs together back to back in the same competition. Oh well. Nevertheless, she was a beautiful skater and was one of the all time greats when she managed to pull it altogether.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I voted for Midori 1989, but I think her 1990 Worlds LP was even more perfect.

12. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I think this is from the "official" video recordings that are made of every skater. It looks like that vantage point.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Unfortunately, Midori doubled her Salchow in the 1990 worlds LP. She also came dangerously close to crashing into the barriers on her triple lutz and triple flip - an unfortunate foretaste of her crash into the camera pit at 1991 worlds!

14. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

And I like her 1988 Olympics LP best. :shuffle:

15. MCC

MCC New Member

Why Yuna's LP at Olympics not here?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

Midori Ito's 1989 performance for me, as well.

I also very much liked Lu Chen's 1996 Worlds LP, Sasha Cohen's 2004 Worlds SP and Shizuka Arakawa 2004 Worlds LP, which was the skate of her life (I think much more so than her Olympic gold-winning LP).

ETA: Mao Asada's GPF and World Team Trophy SP to Clair De Lune is great as well.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And why Oksana Baiul's LP ? :lol: Empty program, just crossover crossover jump, pause, crossover crossover, jump, pause ..., plus scratchy landings.

My vote goes to other : Michelle Kwan 2001 Worlds LP :)

18. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

See my initial post - Kim Yu-Na section

We will have to agree to disagree on that one

A lovely program indeed. However, I prefer Michelle's 1998 Nationals programs. :)

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

And where is Shizuka from 2004?!

Pfff, I am outraged. I am off to kill a kitten.

20. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

21. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

As the old cliche goes, you cannot satisfy all of the people all of the time - go on spare the pussy!

As for which was Midori's best skate, has to be 1989 Worlds LP. There was no triple axel in her 1988 Olympic LP. As for her NHK 1989 LP, another superb performance in which she again landed all of the 6 different triples in the same program. So how do you choose which was the best? Well, the deciding factor has to be that in the 1989 Worlds, she was skating in a pressure cooker atmosphere going for her first world title (which unfortunately would ultimately be her only world title) with Jill Trenary in close contention. To do what she did in that context was absolutely incredible. That for me makes it her best performance. The atmosphere at the NHK in front of her home crowd was far more relaxed. Hence, 1989 Worlds was the best for me, with the 1989 NHK second.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

My picks:

Janet Lynn 1970 U.S. Nationals fs
    Michelle Kwan 1996 Worlds fs
    Midori Ito 1989 Worlds fs
    Michelle Kwan 1998 U.S. Nationals sp and fs
    Midori Ito 1988 Olympic fs

24. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Slutskaya's FP from 2005 Worlds, hands down.
    I remember me and my mother sitting in front of the tv crying like babies :lol:

25. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

For me it was Nancy Kerrigan's free skate at the 1994 Olympics.
    Yes, she doubled the flip but no one ever (maybe Kwan in 1998 Olympics) had to go on to the ice with more attention. The way she held it together was amazing.
    Kwan at the 98 US Champs would be a close second with Arakawa at the 04 Worlds then it would be Kwan at the 2000 Worlds (just coz I've watched it about a hundred times & never get bored !).

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Of these listed choices, I had to go for Michele's LP @ 1998 US Nationals (what an honor to see it live). My absolutely favorite Olympic performance has to be Midori Ito's 1988 Calgary free skate!

27. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

It is likely if you are a fan of a particular skater, or style, their greatest performance is likely to be the greatest to you and here would be the perfect place to share them.

As far as the real world is concerned however, the 'greatest' performance is likely to be the one that has won the biggest championship, smashed all the world records,
    being repeated replayed on youtube, and mentioned the most by the world press in multiple languages.
    It should have rippling effect include attract new fans to the sport, and set new bars in figure skating to be savored and appreciated in the many years to come.
    - by os168 (from Goldenskate) -

=> I totally agreed with this post. :respec:

For me, there's no doubt that this is 'the Greatest performance' in ladies' figure skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc35PYNEQMk&feature=player_detailpage

Her great performances & distinguished achievements in figure skating will be remembered for years to come.

28. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Ito wins from these options offered.

29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

For me Michelle's '98 Nationals FS and Yuna's Olympic FS ties. Each had particular circumstances of facing pressures, Michelle having to meet incredibly high expectation after injuries and Yuna having to have THE perfect skates under the immense pressure from her countrymen watching. (Heck, while the girl was skating, Korea's stock exchange market was silenced!) And boy did they deliver the way that no one could ever do, like one cannot want no more!

30. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yuna's 2010 Olympics LP performance did nothing for me. I felt like her only mission was to land the jumps. The performance was pretty uninspired IMO. You compare it to what Sarah Hughes did in '02 (who even screamed at the end of her performance and got a standing ovation even before the program ended) and what Tara did in 98 and Yuna's 2010 Olympics LP performance was quite reserved.