Which US ladies will make the World Team?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pinky166, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Which US ladies will make the World Team?

1. Mirai Nagasu

206 vote(s)
    86.9%
  2. Rachael Flatt

140 vote(s)
    59.1%
  3. Christina Gao

11 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. Agnes Zawadzki

8 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Alissa Czisny

105 vote(s)
    44.3%
  6. Ashley Wagner

39 vote(s)
    16.5%
  7. Amanda Dobbs

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Vanessa Lam

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Samantha Cesario

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I thought I'd just make a poll where the US ladies thread seems to be essentially a discussion on who will go. My picks:

Mirai Nagasu
    Christina Gao

It really is a wide open affair at this point though. What are your picks?

2. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Pinky- you sure love you some Gao!

I'm with you- she's totally fab, but not so sure she's ready for Sr. Worlds yet... But fingers crossed that she does REALLY well!!! :D

I picked Nagasu and Czisny. A boy can dream, can't he?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I voted for Mirai and Rachel. Mirai because she has the most potential to medal, Rachel because they need some they can count on to deliver the jumps (and not leave the US with just one skater at next year's worlds, ala Kerrigan).

I also think Czisny has a good shot at it, she been skating so well this season, and she's her skating is so COP friendly. But she'll really have to prove she's not a head case at GPF and Nats. Gao can go to Jr. Worlds, even if she skates great I don't think they'll give her the PCS to go to Worlds. Wagner has bombed so many chances in that past, she's really a dark horse, as is everyone else.

4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I was talking about this in another thread, and I'm torn -

I think Mirai and Ashley could be our team and I'd love that, but only if Ashley is landing and rotating the vast majority of her jumps by Nats.

If Ashley still looks a little ragged at Nats [ur's, fall], I'd bet it would be Mirai and Rachael the rock going to Worlds. Mirai can get away with a little more than Ashley because she's established somewhat of a rep on the world scene and judges will know that. Plus, she'll probably peak by March with FC in her corner, so I think Mirai would go despite any small reservations about her skating.

The biggest wild card is Alissa - amazing and has probably the biggest scoring potential of all the ladies, but as everyone knows, she is the biggest headcase and I'm not sure what will happen to her. Will the judges just reward her otherwise lovely skating for somewhat clean performances [I'm banking on at least one fall] and depend on her to get 3 spots for 2012? Or - will they hold her back somehow in the marks to keep her off the team?

Gao - Pinky will disagree with me ;) but I don't think she's ready...yet. But on her present trajectory, she should be in the very near future. If multiple ladies fail, she could make the team or at least be on the podium.

Zawadzki - Strong in the short, but otherwise not so hot in the LP this season. She is probably the least likely of the top ladies to make the team right now.

In summary, I think who ends up where in the ranks will depend on what we see from Alissa - minimal mistakes [I'm counting on at least one] and making the team or bomb city in which case she may bring up the rear of these 6 ladies.

I also think that based on everything we've seen this season, all 6 ladies will be verryy close to one another after the SP. Very exciting going into the LP

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The USFSA desperately want three spots for the 2012 World. They're not going to risk it by sending Alissa.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  6. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

Mirai and Rachael

My dream scenario:

1. Rachael will highlight her season by winning Nationals and having a respectable top 5 finish at Worlds, in which case she will retire and head off to Stanford next fall. The legacy she will leave behind is being not the most charming skater, but the most reliable and dependable ladies skater the U.S. has ever had this quadrennial, garnering her respect from skating fans everywhere. :p

2. Mirai will place at the top of the podium at Nationals in either first or second place (it really could go either way), make the podium for the first time at Worlds (yay!), and establish herself as the top U.S. lady for many more seasons to come. ;)

3. Alissa will redeem herself from last year's National's, and make a top 3 podium finish, with one of the best skates of her life. She will end this achievement on a good note by opting to not go to Worlds and retire, establishing herself as a remarkable skater in U.S. history. :)

7. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I think Mirai & Rachael but I wish I could see Alissa instead of Flatt.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

Nagasu and Flatt, if the powers that be want their 3 slots back.

Unlike Gao, Zawadzki, etc, Nagasu and Flatt are relatively proven on the senior world stage, placing firmly in the top 10. Nagasu can even be a medal threat in this year's weak field, while Flatt is extremely unlikely to bomb and drop out of the top 10 (unlike Czisny, Wagner).

Not really understanding the Gao hype...even if she skates well the judges at worlds are extremely unlikely to give her the high PCS needed to place decently at her first senior competition. Gao has no real senior reputation at all and I think we all know how importantly reputation factors into PCS (and GoE for that matter...).

9. miki88

miki88 New Member

Rachel and Mirai. The third spot I am less sure of. I think Christina definitely has the chance to medal at National. She has a solid 3-3 which is something the others don't have. Given the inconsistencies of Alissa, if Gao goes clean, she will make the podium. Whether the USFS will decide to send a skater who has not yet had experience on the senior circuit to Worlds is another question.

10. Squibble

Squibble New Member

I assume you are referring to Kerrigan's skate the 1993 World Championships. Kerrigan didn't "leave the US with just one skater" at the following year's World's. She finished fifth, high enough, under the rules at the time, to qualify two ladies to the following year's Olympics and two to Worlds. In fact, two U.S. ladies did go to the Olympics (Harding and Kerrigan herself), but only one (Kwan) went to Worlds because the others that the USFSA entered as a first choice or an alternate (Kerrigan, Bobek, Kwiatkowski, and maybe Zayak [I can't recall]) either didn't want to go or was unavailable when needed.

Kwan then finished eighth, qualifying the U.S. for two spots at the following year's competition.

IIRC, under the existing rules, the U.S. can qualify for two spots at next year's competition if (1) one U.S. lady finishes in the top ten or (2) one U.S. lady finishes in the top twelve and the other U.S. lady qualifies for the Long Program.

Any U.S. lady other than Nagasu or Flatt would be ecstatic to do as well as Kerrigan and finish fifth at Worlds this year.

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I like all of Czisny, Wagner, Nagasu, and Flatt. I think the team will be fabulous with any 2 from that group on it. My wish would be for Alissa and Ashley to skate lights out in Greensboro and Tokyo and silence their critics.

Bobek also represented the USA at the 1994 Worlds, but failed to advance from the qualifying round into the actual competition.

12. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

If Flatt does not win Nationals, earning an automatic berth to Worlds, the US better name her to the team. Reliable Rachel is as necessary for US berths as Kwan was circa 1994-1996.

I think Nagasu should be named to the team if she does not win Nationals. If Czisny goes to Worlds in 2011, then the US will inevitably only have one spot in 2012.

13. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Thanks for the correction. :)

14. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

My dream podium will be Marai, Ashley and Flatt(I'm being generous, but potentially she could be ahead of the former two). All are equal in term of their chances to win and get selected to the world team.

Marai: She could be on top if she skate clean and land all her jumps. But I'm still worry about her < jumps which could hurt her, but she can easily make up the mark on Spins and Spiral and PCS mark. Still i think she can get away with one or two < jumps. Any more and she is off the team.

Ashley: Ashley improved alot in overall package. Stronger jumps, spins and presentation, but old habit die hard and she still have problem with her lazy free leg (two footing the jumps). And flutzing, she already lost 3-4 points in both SP+LP and those -GOE will hurt her score. But I will give her better PCS than Rachael.

Rachel has solid jumps, and she usually doesn't get < more than one or two jumps, which is good signs are she normally attempt the most triples out of the U.S ladies. Her PCS is decent, if she get no < call and land all her jump she will be tough to beat.

Alissa is just pleasent to watch. She surprise us when there is no expectation so, with being the top qualifier for GPF, she will be on spot light again and we all know what happened last year national.

15. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I went with the combo of Czisny/Nagasu for 2011 to get the US back 3 spots. Flatt/Czisny didn't do it in 2009. Flatt/Nagasu didn't do it in 2010.

Nagasu and Czisny have the highest scoring potential to reach the podium. Either one could actually win Worlds or medal. Flatt and Wagner could skate clean and not get any higher than 5-6 place. I'm more about an American lady medaling than I am about 3 spots. 3 spots for next year would be a bonus.

But to be honest, I could see any one of Nagasu, Czisny, Wagner, Flatt, Gao and Zawadzki making up the World team. My preference though is Czisny/Nagasu on the Senior World team, Flatt/Wagner/Zawadzki on the 4CC team, and Gao/Siraj/US junior gold medalist the Junior World team.

I actually want to see how Czisny and Flatt do at the GPF though.

16. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Ashley and Alissa at Worlds.

:)

17. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I think Ashley has a good chance, and I am still hoping Caroline can whip herself into shape by Nationals.

18. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yes, many seem to forget that fact. ;)

19. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I don't know who will be the team, but I do think that Rachel and Mirai give us the best chance. Rachel is very reliable under pressure, and Mirai has a high scoring potential and can get it done too, her jumps will likely get better and more rotated as the season moves forward.

I adore Alissa's skating, but she is just not reliable when the pressure is on. Look how she kind of crumbled at TEB when she knew a chance at the GPF was on the line.
    But had the 2010 Olympics been the Worlds, we would have gotten the 3 spots back for 2011, which shows they are very capable of doing it. By the time Worlds rolled around, I think they were just too tired and burnt out. Even so, they were basically one missed double axel (Mirai) away from pulling it off.

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I like Mirai and Rachael, but love Alissa's skating and really like Ashley's skating !
    Very hard !

21. olympic

Alissa is polling above Ashley

22. pinky166

I think what happens at the GPF and JGPF will have an effect on the results. Rachael and Alissa will both be at the GPF, and if neither medals then I don't think it makes too big a difference who finishes ahead of the other. However, if one of them medals and the other doesn't do so well, I do think it will make a difference. Clean Alissa could win the whole thing or at least bring home silver, but she could also very easily finish in 6th place. As for Rachael, I don't think she will win but do think she has a good shot at silver or bronze depending on how others do. So if Alissa is say 2nd and Rachael 5th and they both skate pretty well there, Alissa will be heavy edge going into nationals. But if Rachael is say 3rd and Alissa 6th, then Rachael will be heavy edge going into nationals. If they are both say 4th and 5th, then I don't think it will hold much impact, sort of like we saw with Ashley last season.

The other thing is that if Christina can win gold at the JGPF I think that will help her chances of making the World team. I mean, Adelina Sotnikova has put up the highest overall score this season, so if Christina can defeat her at the JGPF, that looks really good. Even if she ends up 2nd, if her scores are up there with the 1st place finisher that will look really good. At this point Christina is probably the favorite to win bronze at the JGPF - behind Adelina and Liza, and if she does end up 3rd that will help her going into nationals but maybe not that much. If she finished OTP there then I suspect she might be held down in PCS at nationals.

23. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

I think Mirai and Rachael. Alissa is inconsistent, but she has a chance too and so does Ashley. The younger girls will go to Junior Worlds I think. Agnes is good jumper and has decent spins, so maybe she can be on the podium if other girls will not skate clean. Christina needs to work on her skating skills, posture, lines, spins and presentation first, she is good junior skater, but not exceptional (and I think she has no chance against clean Liza and clean or almost clean Adelina at the JGPF) and not ready yet. BTW, why Lam is on the list? She is too young for Worlds anyway.
    Personally I'd like to see Mirai and Ashley on the team

24. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

You are such a good fan PB. Poor Caroline did not even make this list.

I think the best team would be Alissa and Mirai.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Lam turned 15 this past June so she is old enough for Four Continents and Worlds this season, although Junior Worlds seems to be a more feasible option for her.

Well, pinky166 is a big fan of Dobbs and Cesario. :D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I voted Alissa and Mirai.

Yeah, we'll see how that goes. :shuffle:

27. olympic

Glutton for punishment are you? :p Wouldn't it be amazing if they both were mostly consistent?

28. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

But their skating is soooo pretty! :fragile:

Did I mention I was a Sasha fan as well? I just can't resist the headcase types.

29. pinky166

I was going to put Caroline on the list but I figured no one would vote for her. Overhauling technique is a 2 year process, so I don't think she'll be quite ready come nationals.

Lam is old enough for Worlds, I put her on the list where she skated so well at the JGP in Ostrava and beat Polina Shelepen.

If Adelina is clean or almost clean at the JGPF, I think you're right and Christina won't beat her, but I really think Christina can beat Liza, especially if Liza does not attempt or does not land the 3a. Liza is still pretty juniorish and doesn't have the best spins or presentation either, and the score she put up on her 1st JGP was not that impressive. I also think there's a good chance one of Adelina or Liza will mess up there, and if they do then Christina has a good shot at winning gold.

30. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Voted for Mirai and Alissa. Two alternatives are Gao and Zawadzki, young guns.