Which US Ladies on GP 2011-2012?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

The obvious 6 to me are Nagasu, Czisny, Gao, Zawadzki, Wagner, and Zhang. Flatt may skip if she goes to college.

Then we are faced with *a lot* of borderline situations. Samantha Cesario (SB 61), Kiri Baga (SB 37), and Amanda Dobbs (SB 49) who all had to withdraw from Nationals. Joelle Forte, Melissa Bulanhagui, and Kristiene Gong (SB 43), who did well at Nationals to finish 9-11. And there's Alexe Gilles (SB 55) and Kristine Musademba (SB 72) who probably won't see the GP next year but Alexe could get on the alternate list with her SB score. The only chance for Joelle and Melissa would be Skate America. The others will be sort of random depending on whether they get picked up from hosting feds.

In my estimation, we'll likely see Vanessa Lam (SB 17) and Yasmin Siraj (SB 15) on the JGP again, but I suppose you never know.

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

ZHANG??? No way, Jose! Lam and Siraj should and most likely will go to the Sr G-P circuit.

3. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Caroline Zhang is 20th on the ISU Rankings. That will slip a bit, but she'll still be in top 40 or so. She'll probably get one assignment if she is competing next season. I don't think she's done poorly enough internationally to be ignored altogether quite yet (although I'd much rather see some other skaters who placed higher at Nationals get assignments before her if I had my druthers)

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Lam is old enough for senior competitions this season, so I think her decision regarding JGP vs. SGP will depend on if she is sent to Junior Worlds and how she does there if she is sent. If she goes and finishes in the top 10 in that deep field, she might as well go on the SGP.

Yasmin is not old enough for senior competitions until 2012-2013 because of her birthday, so if she competed on the SGP next season it would mean she would not be able to compete at 4CC or Worlds should she make those teams. It might make more sense to stay on the JGP another year so she can have a program ready for JW should she be named to the team, and also make her senior debut in one piece instead of two. Of course if she wants to do the SGP, she can, but she also might like to try and medal at the JGPF.

Zhang may get one assignment but I'm doubtful she gets 2 where her season is over now and she won't have another chance to improve her SB score.

Cesario has only competed internationally that one time on the JGP, and her score wasn't very high, so if she's skating well over the summer, her best hope is probably JGP again or a host spot at SA.

Amanda did really well last season and only got 1 GP this season. I tend to think she can get a GP next season too, on top of a senior B, and potentially could get 2 if she gets the host spot at SA as well.

Forte and Mel B will probably be given senior Bs - Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Ice Challenge, and depending on how they are skating in the summer, may have a shot at the SA host spot.

Alexe I'm almost certain will have to go through regionals and sectionals, although perhaps she could get some senior Bs.

Musademba might get some senior Bs but her one showing on the GP this year wasn't very strong so I don't think she'll get an assignment next season.

Gong could compete on the JGP next season but probably doesn't want to go for a 3rd season. Her scores on the JGP are probably enough to get her 1 GP spot, and then a senior B or something, and if she continues to skate well she could also be considered for SA.

Baga is old enough for senior championships this season, and if she does JGP it would mean her 3rd time on the circuit. She's competed enough and had good enough results that she can probably get at least 1 GP assignment for next season, maybe 2. If she doesn't get 2 though she's probably in prime contention to get the host spot at SA if she can stay healthy and continue to skate well.

Czisny, Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Wagner, Flatt (if she competes) should all definitely get 2 spots each.

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I think they will likely stay on th JGP.

If Zhang gets selected (she'll more likely be eligible for 1 assignment), she'll go.

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I would say...

Czisny, Flatt, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Gao and Wagner all get 2 assignments.

C. Zhang gets 1 or 2 depending on her WR at the end of the season.

Bulanhagui and Gong get 1 each or Sr. B's. (Both have SB scores in the low 130s).

Forte get's Sr. B's.

Lam and Siraj do the JGP again. F. Zhang possibly joins them.

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Tell you the truth i was more impressed with Courtney Hicks then the other Juniors like Lam or Siraj. He jumps are just huge not tiny like Lam or Siraj.I like how she takes charge on the ice.

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I adore Courtney! She's got lovely jumps and she generally spins a lot faster than the senior ladies.

9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

She attacks the ice. Like her coach says she's fearless. We'll have to see how she handles pressure now that she's not an unknown but with all the head cases in Senior ladies its nice to see. She has huge jumps to so hopefully if she has a growth spurt she'll come out fine.

10. pinky166

Siraj's jumps aren't tiny, they are actually pretty big, she just doesn't have the best technique. As for Lam, yeah her jumps are really small, but maybe that can be fixed if she adds some more muscle.

11. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

I agree. Especially her triple sal - that looked like it could be a quad in the future. Also, she skates with more maturity then they do, and Yasmin CLEARLY hasn't even started puberty so she is a question mark for the future with her strange technique.

12. pinky166

On the screen, Courtney does not appear to be that much bigger than Yasmin. To me she still looked very tiny and like a little kid, so puberty could still be an obstacle for her. Although the big jumps should help her and hopefully she'll fare more like Christina and maintain the 3-3s even through a big growth spurt.