Which two skaters fan base have the most heated rivalry?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Jul 23, 2014.

Most heated rivalry between two skater fan bases

1. Virtue & Moir vs Davis & White

18.8%
  2. Lipinski vs Kwan

8.0%
  3. Kwan vs Slutskaya

19.3%
  4. Chan scores supportervs vs Chan held up; Chan vs Hanyu

1.7%
  5. Kim vs Asada

33.5%
  6. Kim vs Sotnikova

4.5%
  7. Kim vs Kwan

0.6%
  8. Gritschuk & Platov vs anyone

1.7%
  9. Sale & Pelletier vs Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

2.3%
  10. Baiul vs Kerrrigan vs Harding

1.1%
  11. Yagudin vs Plushenko

5.1%
  12. other

3.4%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Seeing all the sparring wars between the various fan bases makes me wonder which two fan bases have the most intense rivalry. Certainly there are many candidates for that, and more than I could ever fit onto a poll. My vote would probably go to Virtue & Moir and Davis & White fans though. Wow these last couple years have brought the claws out in both.

Slutskaya vs Kwan, Lipinski vs Kwan, Plushenko vs Yagudin, and Kim vs Asada, are some other standouts for me. Kim vs Asada would probably be my second choice. There are many fans of those two who downright hate the other skater, and many of their fans. Kim vs Sotnikova is one building in momentum, but Sotnikova doesn't even have enough fans right now to make that one a fair fight.

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I voted other because I remember the fights between Evan fans and Johnny fans, especially in 2007
    and 2008.

3. satine94

satine94 awaiting the scores

Chan scores supportervs vs Chan held up

:lol:!

4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I went with Kim/Asada, mostly because the most uber Kim fans see her as no less than perfection on ice and no-one can possibly hold a candle to her. Second place would go to the V/M and D/W fans, but that is predominately on the part of the V/M fans, not those of D/W. Like the Kim fans, it seems any suggestion that Tessa and Scott are less than the penultimate dance team bring plagues upon the critic. :drama::slinkaway

5. annabrown

annabrown Member

Asada fans are even worse than Kim fans. They claim all Kim's titles were due to favoritism, despite that the only questionable decision between both ever (2008 worlds) went to Asada, and that Kim has never won an event over Asada which Mao has skated really well at. They claim her jump technique is perfect when she flutzes, is prone to <, and had to even rework all her jumps in the middle of her career. There are also many who constantly go around attacking Kim and her fans, and ridiculing her and her skating.

Kim fans might have some bad apples, but Asada fans as a whole take them easily in nastiness and extreme bias when it comes to the Kim vs Asada wars.

6. HVS

HVS Active Member

Yes, I don't know why people think Yuna's fans are all delusional but just easily let out Mao's fanbase????? Well I won't say they are worse, but definitely not any better than Yuna's :rolleyes: The reason they seem a bit more quiet just because Mao's result were totally up and down, if she won everything out there the same way as Yuna, I bet all of my money that they will think her as the untouchable goddess, pretty much like Yuna's fans now.

7. tortellini

tortellini Member

and here we have a dw uber in its natural habitat: acting all high and mighty while calling the kettle black in an inflammatory thread. amazing innit?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Um, if you would pay attention before making accusations, I am not an uber of either team (for ice dance, it's Torvill and Dean for me, hands down) and in the thread on D/W vs V/M 2010 vs 2014 only went with D/W as I said, by a hair as I prefer their style a bit more than V/M. I happen to think V/M are a wonderful team and I enjoy watching their skating. However, their fan base as evidenced in threads on this board can really go overboard.

As you have just ably demonstrated...pot...kettle...black.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  9. tortellini

tortellini Member

CRIKEY! this one bites when called out on their bullshit! :yikes:

10. Fiero425

Fiero425 Member

I went with Plushenko & Yagudin, but since I just started posting here, I'm just going by the visceral antagonism that went on when both were competing! I place more blame on Alexei since he wanted Mishin to himself which wasn't practical! He had tons of other students; he just wanted Evgeny gone more than anything! His animus hurt his career along with the pressure Plushenko put on him physically and mentally due to his quad being superior; doing 2 in each program! Alexei could beat everyone else without even one, but with Evgeny around, he couldn't win the major events! It took its toll which is why he had to retire from the amateur ranks after the 2001-02 season! To this day, he probably can't stand Plushenko!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I think that it's gotta be D/W vs. V/M fans, or at least lately it is. There's also a lot of Kwan fans vs. Kim fans when the topic of best ever ladies skater comes up.

12. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Kim vs Asada since it goes beyond just skating. I won't forget sitting around a few Japanese fans who looked downright angry that Yuna was getting a standing ovation at the Staples Center in 2009.

13. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Suguri!!

Suguri is the new purple.

14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the "Mao is Evil" videos created by Yuna fans on YouTube. Take a look at the "Yuna is Evil" videos created by Mao fans on YouTube. They win most heated rivalry hands down.

Although we should count our blessings that YouTube wasn't in existence back in the Tara/Michelle days. :D I still have fond memories of the Tara/Michelle Fight Board.

"Michelle has butt ugly feet!"
    "No way! Tara has hideous troll feet."

15. rustytodd

rustytodd New Member

Either Mao vs Yu Na due to the crazy Mao Asada fan base or Slutskaya vs Kwan due to the crazy Kwan fan base. Even the humble and wonderful fan bases of Kim and Slutskaya are not enough to overcome the crazy and awful fans of Mao and Michelle.

16. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

When did Kim get a nice fan base and Mao have an awful one? Both fan bases suck, just like all the skaters with an uber fan base. For years when looking up skating videos I found hundreds of them about either Mao or Yuna having an awful ugly face and being related to the devil or something crazy. I was thinking about this board when I voted, but I should have thought of the rest of the internet and voted Mao/Yuna

You must be a Kim fan...

17. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I find some of the posts here commentating on fan bases as if they are outsiders to such ferocious fan wars to be pretty ironic.

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the comments on some of their youtube videos are just like :eek: and :yikes:.

19. judgejudy27

Any rival between two Asian skaters is bound to be a bad one, atleast amongst fans. I think if Chen and Sato were ever more serious rivals (as in fighting for gold at major events, rather than just two skater who had a chance at bronze) and there was internet then, they would have been just as bad. Not those two lovely and classy women/skaters themselves, but their supporters and countrymen. And if Park and Li ever develop enough to be serious rivals for gold medals (unlikely probably), I am sure theirs will be a doozy as well.

I love to watch short track which is pretty much dominated by Asia, apart from Canada, for awhile. The especialy aggressive yanking, cross tracking, shoving between the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese is noticeable to have a lot more venom than with any other country.

20. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

This Poll...:rofl:
    Is it me, or does the off season just seem to get worse each year?

21. VIETgrlTerifa

Asian-Americans always say Asians really only have beef with other Asians. I mean that's not really true, but it's a popular saying.

22. judgejudy27

When they say that are they counting Asian-Americans themselves in that category too?

23. VIETgrlTerifa

Yes. It usually comes with anecdotes about racist family members. Korean fathers hating on the Japanese, for example. But you know, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  24. begin34

begin34 New Member

Tied between Yagudin/Plushenko and Kim/Asada. I vaguely remember some argument about Yagudin/Plushenko as the first convo I ever heard about skating so that rivalry always comes to mind. But it was a friend of mine (the ardent Mao fan that dragged me to the '09 WC) who really got me into the sport, so the Kim/Asada rivalry was kinda the basis of my actual skating knowledge.

This.

25. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Kim fans vs anybody who beat her

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

Wow. Talk about delusional. Where were you when those "humble and wonderful" fans of Yuna were issuing death threats to Adelina and writing abuse on her personal Twitter, Instagram, Facebook? They still are!

At the moment, V/M-D/W (helped by the special brand of crazy the V/M fans bring - I mean, a secret baby? Really?). Asada-Kim also but maybe less than that. Oh, and everyone vs Plushenko.

27. unicorn

unicorn Member

I agree with you, it seems that even Plushenko's much longer career still not enough to eased his fans' mind. No matter how much shxt you shed on this board, you can't change the fact that Yagudin's early retirement was because of his congenital joint defect, and actually lots of people have that kind of defects in life. And you can't change the fact that Plushenko couldn't out jump Yagudin, even though he was younger, was trained by Alexei Mishin, worked much more on jumps, used cheap strategies. While Yagudin was coached by Tarasova, wasn't ambitious about jumps, has a congenital joint defect, he still out jumped Plushenko easily. Plushenko had no advantage on jumps in 2002, that's the real reason he failed in his short program, he lost that psychological security. He even accused Yagudin paid those journalist to say he had weaker programs in his book. Why bother with the programs? Out jump Yagudin and you win. LOL. It's a pain on Plushenko's ass forever, no matter how much he wanted to forget about it. So keep competing and competing, boy. To say Plushenko is a better skater because he has the longevity and Yagudin didn't is a joke. Reminds me of a a sick minded fan said certain pair was better than G/G because G/G didn't have the longevity because Grinkov died of a congenital heart disease at the age of 26.

28. Fiero425

Fiero425 Member

Even if Yagudin is thought of as the better skater, I'll take Plushenko's longevity with 4 Olympics medals; 2 Gold, 2 Silver! We'll see who's more highly regarded after time goes by! Numbers will sooth Plushenko's historic achievement!

29. unicorn

unicorn Member

2 Gold LOL, then why don't you wait a little bit longer? When no body is really interested in who's Yagudin or Plushenko anymore? no body really care how they look like, only a name? Right now people are still remember how they win their titles, how's their programs. LOL

30. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Lipinski fans are cruel to Kwan in YouTube comments and a year ago I would have said that Kim vs Asada had the most heated fans, but since Sochi it has been at a new level between Kim and Sotnikova fans.