Which tv show was cancelled too early?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Mar 30, 2013.

1. orbitz7391

orbitz7391 Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved this show and was so devastated when it was cancelled! :(

Another show that I liked that didn't last long (I think it was only three seasons) was NBC's "American Dreams". Back when NBC actually still produced quality television... :p

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Not cancelled! I thought I might have been deluding myself that "hiatus" meant they would be bringing it back eventually ... but they are! It's official!

:cheer:

3. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

I don´t think anyone remember this show but I thought it had great potential:

The Inside

4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I can't believe I forgot this, because every time I'm forced to sit through syrupy ballads on the Voice and Idol, I remember two glorious seasons of Rock Star. I would love to see that again.

5. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I liked Prey too. I agree that it deserved better. Featured Debra Messing just before "Will and Grace"

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

American Gothic (1995) I LOVED this show! :cheer2:

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh yes!!

Among many other reasons, one thing I loved was that they skipped all the auditions and went straight to the finalists, so it was high quality all the way. The House Band was outstanding, and they made the effort to get rights for the very best rock songs. I still listen to my downloads :)

8. znachki

znachki Active Member

I do! I managed to "obtain" ahem, all of the episodes for this. Really interesting and creepy. Peter Coyote was awesome.

Sigh, yet another Tim "cancelled again" Minear show. (See also: Firefly, Wonderfalls, Terriers, The Chicago Code, Dollhouse, Drive)

btw - Tim's twitter handle is "cancelled again".

9. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I recently started watching Firefly based on Sheldon Cooper's recommendation. Reading this thread, I see he is not alone in his fandom. :p

10. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Another person who's just like me w/her shows. I'm not alone!! ;) :)

ITA about Mysterious Ways. Such a great show that made you think, which when you stop and take a good look, that could be said for most of the shows I've seen listed in here...

Loved this and if NBC had promoted it the way it should have, it would have found it's audience. What hurt it was it kept being bounced around the sued, so you'd get sucked in, then it would move nights and... :(

Now I remember First Monday and it was a good little show if it had been given half a chance. Sadly...

IIRC, ABC decided to do a split season of it, like NBC's done w/Revolution, *and* also move it from the original day and time slot it had in the Fall. It was one of the most talked about shows in the Fall, but that break and the move was what did the damage and then it was too late to do damage control. A shame as it really was excellent.

And when is he not? One of my very favourite actors. :)

I'll add Early Edition, Homefront, SportsNight, Studio 60 and Freaks and Geeks to my list.

You know...After reading this thread, it's got me thinking that The Big Bang Theory got awfully lucky it found it's audience fast, otherwise....

11. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Summer Glau is another whose series keep getting cancelled. Firefly, Terminator, and The Cape.

Desperado and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Ooh, The Cape! I remember that one, another great show not given a chance. (Didn't remember Summer Glau was in it tho.)

13. emason

emason Well-Known Member

All the gushing over Linda Gray in Dallas in one of the other threads made me think of my #1 gone too soon show: Norman Lear's All That Glitters (1977). Women were the stronger sex and ruled the world; men were secretaries who tried to sleep their way to the top (Gary Sandy pre - WKRP in Cincinnati) or house husbands (the brilliant Chuck McCann who spent most of every episode crying in a closet while wife Lois Nettleton was romancing her secretary.)

And what about Linda Gray, you ask. She played a fashion model hired to be the spokesperson for an ad campaign for beer. Trouble ensued when it was revealed that the fashion model was transgender.

Norman Lear, wherever you are, I LOVED this show.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

All That Glitters sounds fascinating and ahead of its time. I will have to see if it is on YouTube.

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I loved it and it WAS ahead of its time; how well it would wear now I don't know. I cried when it was cancelled, just about the time that the Barbara Baxley corporation head character was revealed to be in an interracial relationship with her chauffeur IIRC. I won't say more; I don't want to spoil the surprises if you are able to find it anywhere.

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I LOVED that show! Definitely gone too soon. Great cast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_Glitters_(TV_series)

Wasn't it on after Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  17. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Oh, I loved this show.

Titus was gone too soon. I've seen Chris Titus do standup live twice, and he's amazing.

18. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

MTV had some great original programming in the early 90s that got cancelled way too early: the Ben Stiller Show, Pirate Television, Just Say Julie.

Does anyone remember the Jerry Springer parody, Night Stand, with Timothy Stack? I was watching some eps on youtube and its one of those shows where you always catch new things.

19. znachki

znachki Active Member

I loved that show! I was thinking about it when someone up thread mentioned "The Powers that Be". It made me think of the All That Glitters theme song (I dunno why, that's just the way my mind works sometimes) "one moring the lord she woke up to say, I think I'm going to be creative today - or something like that.

20. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

in terms of some cable sitcoms:

Flight of the Conchords (but probably only 1 or 2 more seasons tops)
    Party Down (although Adam Scott and Jane Lynch have gone on to projects with more visibility)

A lot of the shows mentioned in the thread deserved longer runs, but I think most of them must have been expensive to produce, and the networks were expecting at least some threshold rating to justify renewal.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  21. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Grosse Point on the WB? It was a behind the scenes spoof of teen soaps like 90210 and Dawson's Creek. The show was created by Darren Starr, who actually created 90210. Reportedly, before the show aired, Aaron Spelling threw a sh*t fit to one of the WB executives because one of the female characters was a parody of Tori. In the original script, said character was supposed to be the daughter of the show's executive producer, that was changed before it made it to air.The show was a riot. I remember in one episode it was discovered that the show's main heartthrob was in his 30's and bald. In the final episode, one of the characters married Dweezil Zappa after knowing him for two hours. She hired Elizabeth Berkley (of Saved By The Bell fame) to be a "celebrity bridesmaid" and she came busting into the ceremony late as a parody of her cameo in the Saved By The Bell wedding movie. It's a shame it only lasted 13 episodes, because it was a WB comedy that was actually funny.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

grosse pointe was hysterical. i still remember when the shannen of the group gained wt to play monica lewinsky and became much nicer. apparently all those years she wasnt a bitch, she was hungry.

23. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Breakout kings

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Another nighttime soap: Savannah. Mid 90s, three college friends making their way in the world against a steamy southern backdrop. Loved it, miss it :(

25. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Here's a pleasant surprise for me. While watching Mad Med, I saw news that AMC's "The Killing" is coming back in June with a new case for Linden & Holder. Unlike many viewers who abandoned the show because AMC didn't wrap up the murder in the 1st season and didn't like the slow pace, I enjoyed the show and was sad to hear it had been cancelled. I mourned that I wouldn't get to see Holder and Linden together again. So it's quite a nice change of pace to hear that a canceled show has been saved!

26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

YES! It was like watching a Danielle Steele novel every week. Guilty pleasure.

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Add me to those who adored the show.
    It did follow "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_Glitters_(TV_series)

Here's Norman Lear talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5RDk9vFX0

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member