Which three Russian ladies should be sent to junior worlds?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by hanca, Nov 22, 2013.

?

Which three Russian ladies should be sent to junior worlds?

1. Radionova

88.5%
  2. Pogorilaya

48.1%
  3. Medvedeva

53.8%
  4. Proklova

48.1%
  5. Sakhanovich

46.2%
  6. Sotskova

5.8%
  7. someone else

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Russia will have 3 spots at junior worlds in ladies and far too many ladies wanting to be sent.

Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, Proklova and Sotkskova managed to qualify to JGPF.
    Radionova won everything at the junior level last season, managed to qualify to senior GPF this year and can't compete at Europeans/Olympics/Worlds because she is too young.
    Pogorilaya also managed to get to senior GPF. She is old enough to be sent to Europeans/Olympics/Worlds but may not be sent because there is far too many skaters fighting for the spots. In her interview she stated that if she couldn't be sent, she would like to go to junior worlds again.

Out of all those talented ladies, who do you think deserves to be sent to junior worlds and who will have to stay at home?

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I really like Proklova, so I would like her to go.

Can Radio and Pogo (if she doesn't make the Sochi team) go to Jr. worlds after competing at the GPF? If yes, I would give them the two spots.

Medvedeva and Saskhanovich are pretty good too, and should make the Jr. worlds team if Elena and Anna are not on it. I have not watched Sotkskova yet.

3. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Radionova and Pogorilya can go to junior worlds after doing senior GP. Last year Lipnitskaya did the same and year before Sotnikova. In the past Leonova did Europeans, Junior worlds and senior worlds all in one season because they did not have anyone else to send!

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Pogo has a decent shot at making Europeans.

I think Radionova and Medvedeva are most likely locks for JW.

Sotskova is a notch below all 3 of these ladies at this point IMO, along with Sakhanovich due to her recent struggles with growth/injury, though if she can regain her old form then she is certainly in the mix and likely jumps ahead of Sotskova in pecking order.

So basically I think the team will either be Radionova, Medvedeva, and Pogorilaya (if Pogo does not make Euros) or Radionova, Medvedeva, and Sakhanovich (if Pogo makes Euros or Serafima beats her at JN). Sotskova could make it if Sakhanovich is still struggling and Pogo goes to Euros, or if Sakhanovich and Pogo both make errors at JN and Maria is cleaner.

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think it'll be Radionova, Medvedeva & Proklova based on form so far. But Sakhanovich seems to be getting over her growth spurt struggles and good skates at junior nats & the JGPF could be her ticket. I'd send Pogorilaya to Europeans.

6. pinky166

Ack I forgot about Prokolova! She's fab...wow the depth in Russia is insane! In that case yeah I hope Pogo gets sent to Europeans if she outskates Tuk at Russian Nats. I'd be fine with Tuk going to Euros instead but only if she earns it by delivering the jumps.

7. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Sakhanovich, Proklova and Radionova for Junior worlds, and Pogorilya, Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova for Europeans.

8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I'd sent Lipnitskaia, Pogorilya and Radionova to Junior Worlds and Alena, Adelina and Elizaveta to Europeans. :))

9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

What about Medvedeva? She had better results than Proklova and Sakhanovich at JGP. She won both her events, unlike Proklova and Sakhanovich...

Too many great girls, not enough spots. :(

10. bek

bek Guest

I say lets wait and see how these girls do when they compete against each other-at the Junior Grand Prix Final and Russian Junior Nationals before we say who belongs in the Junior Worlds and who doesn't. It not really fair to compare people who haven't even competed against each other.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Lipnitskaya to Jr. Words, when she has the potential to medal at the Olympics this year??? Pogo deserves to go to Euros also, based on how she has performed this year.

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Why sending Alena Leonova to Europeans when there is at least 7 senior eligible ladies better than her?

13. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Just my personal opinion, but if you compete as a SENIOR you should not be able to be sent "down" in the same season to compete as a JUNIOR. It isn't fair to those girls who worked hard in juniors all season. They wanted to skate with the big girls and there should be a price they pay. Not hedge their bets with the hope of post season junior competition. I know that is not the way the rule book reads and every country does it but IMHO it doesn't make it right.

14. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I agree.
    I'd have Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova and Pogorilaya at Euros and Proklova, Medvedeva and Sakhanovich at Junior Worlds. But then again...decisions will be made after Senior and Junior Nationals and ice is slippery...

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Pogorilaya to Europeans ( ideally), Radionova to Jr. Worlds IF she wants to go and it is advantageous to her. The remaining Juniors- whoever performs best at JGPF and Nationals... I have a soft spot for Sakhanovich but know she struggles a bit this year. Not a weak link among the rest.

16. shine

shine Well-Known Member

But how's that fair to Radionova? Her season ends at GPF?

17. pinky166

No Medvedeva? So far she has been a lot stronger than Sakhanovich, and I'm saying this as a Sakhanovich fan! Maybe if Serafima beats her at JGPF, she would get the nod instead, but at this point, Evgenia appears to be rock-solid technically.

Anyways, I think the results of JGPF and GPF will give us a better idea of the teams for JW and Europeans. The top 2 Russians at JGPF will likely join Radionova at JW, and I tend to think if Pogorilaya can skate well at GPF (even if she comes in 5th or 6th place), then that gives her momentum over Tuk going into Nationals and increases her odds of making the Europeans team. If Pogo bombs GPF or places last by a large margin, though, she might not make it to Euros or JW. And if 3 or 4 of the Russian ladies at JGPF kick butt and Radionova is off at GPF with a low placement, then even Radionova could be vulnerable in terms of making the team (though I doubt it as she is the reigning champion and usually consistent). Pogo is usually consistent too, but the field at GPF is very deep. Again though, I don't think a low placement at GPF is necessarily detrimental to her chances, though, so long as the score/performance is strong. (For example, Liza was 5th at GPF last season, but her skates were fairly strong and she finished 20 points or so ahead of Christina in 6th, so it did not hurt her momentum going into Nats which she ended up winning).

18. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Result of Medvedeva is phenomenal, but I think Sakhanovich is better than Medvedeva. Sefaima seems to have got her problems with jumps under control in the last few competitions, and she has a very favourable jump layout, all Serafima's jumps are in second half in her SP and LP also have more jumps after half way mark (i am not saying this is good think, but will score well). If they both go clean, I think Serafima should come ahead. As for Proklova, she had very little reputation as a junior and her score slightly suffered in her first competition. However, in the second JGP her scores were higher. All of them skates clean, PCS between these 3 will not be much different, so scores will depend on jumps. Remember PB score of Prokolova is better than Medvedeva as well.

Elena will be ahead of all the other three girls based of her scores this season, she is the only girl among these 4 who is also capable of scoring high PCS as well.

So my preference is 1) Radionova 2) Prokolova 3) Sakhanovich for Russian junior nationals, the order i have given is reverse order of my preference (which keeps on changing).

19. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, I wonder how they will decide now... Based on GP events Sotskova and Sakhanovich looked the weakest out of those six ladies, but now Sotskova won the JGPF and Sakhanovich placed second... On the other hand, Proklova has season best 181.18 and Medvedeva 179.96, whereas Sotskova 'only' 176.75 and Sakhanovich 'only' 172.86... Then again Sakhanovich scored 191 at some senior B competition...

Radionova has done pretty decently at GPF. If we consider that her competitors were the best ladies from seniors, being 4th in her first GPF is very decent result.

I think Pogorilaya is the weakest from those six ladies. I would send her to Europeans (after all, Liza Tuktamysheva has just been beaten by Miky Ando, so in my view sending Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya to Europeans may be for the best). But I wouldn't send Pogorilaya back to junior worlds. I would send any three from the remaining five. I will feel really sorry for those two who won't be sent.

20. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

I'm thinking:

1. Elena Radionova (reigning JWC champ, qualified to GPF)
    2. JGPF-contestant who wins Jr. Nats
    3. JGPF-contestant who places 2nd at Jr. Nats. If close scores, preference to highest placement at JGPF

I don't think Lipnitskaia or Pogorilaya should be send back to Junior Worlds - too much senior succes already. If they place top 3 (of eligible) at Nats, they should be send to Euros. If they don't placed top 3, they could be send to Olys or Worlds IF more than one Euro-contestant bomb.