Which Skaters From Which Country (Other Than Your Own) Are You MOST Drawn To?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PeterG, Aug 25, 2012.

?

Which Skaters From Which Country (Other Than Your Own) Are You MOST Drawn To?

1. Canada

38 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. China

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Finland

13 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. France

36 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Germany

16 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Great Britain

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. Italy

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Japan

110 vote(s)
    48.2%
  9. Russia

108 vote(s)
    47.4%
  10. Switzerland

23 vote(s)
    10.1%
  11. U.S.A.

30 vote(s)
    13.2%
  12. Other

12 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. query5

query5 New Member

i narrow it down to 3 mainly --japan, russia, canada ladies, men, dance,
    germany and china for pairs only for now
    sorry best i can do

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

You're totally missing the point of this thread. :lol:

3. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Japan - Their singles skaters usually have good to excellent basics, good speed, a bare minimum of acceptable tastefulness in the presentation aspects without bringing weird hangups about the meaning of artistry into everything, and as a whole there's definitely a culture of pushing the bar technically. I just like the way Japanese culture as a whole seems to approach the sport, plus many of my favorite skaters happen to be Japanese.
    Russia - Pairs. 'Nuff said.
    Canada - Skating skills. 'Nuff said.

4. parasolka

parasolka Member

It's really interesting. I mean if you still haven't seen these young russian girls

Adelina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGm_4prb0M
    Lisa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDxCumRppT8&feature=related
    Julia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdBhfNtJFc&feature=related
    Lena: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpQrgiMV3eM&list=PL865896ADDF7A2EF1&index=81&feature=plpp_video
    Evgeniya:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWriPD-MtCk&list=PL865896ADDF7A2EF1&index=10&feature=plpp_video

I just wonder do you find them to be worth watching?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. parasolka

parasolka Member

Back to the topic: USA, Japan, Canada

6. martyross

martyross New Member

Russia for theatrical and balletic influence. i like Russian divas (on ice) and drama. it must be their special temper that make russian athlets approach skating with such intensity and passion. there have been even programs inspired by modern dance and ballet which to me is the direction ice dance should take.
    i noticed that russian artistic gymnastic takes from ballet. nothing's more sublime than watching these marvellous skaters and gymnastic hitting graceful positions and express emotions and beauty through their bodies. my current favorite Russian lady is Sotnikova, for these reasons, Bereznaya-Sikharulidze are my fav pair ever, Yagudin is the best ever and i wish Usova-Zhulin skated in eternity!
    end of gushing.

7. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm from the US and try to be supportive but, to be honest, it's been a little tough! :lol: Right now I'm really rooting for Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang this season. I admire how they have worked at improving themselves and have worked their way back to the top of the standings. I'd really love to see Agnes Zawadski take her skating to the next level and I'm always praying Mirai Nagasu will wake up and become great.

As for other countries:

Japan: I've been a fan of Mao Asada since 2005. She's an exquisite skater... I love Akiko Suzuki's perseverance and the joy and energy she brings to her skating...I've been watching Kanako Murakami since she was a junior and I love how she's grown and matured. I'm also crossing my fingers for Haruka Imai...she's lovely skater.

Korea: Yu-Na Kim is incredible and I'm so excited she's coming back. I also hope to see good things from So Youn Park and Hae Jin Kim in the coming years. They are two talented skaters with that little something extra that could make them a real threat on the world stage.

China: China has a number of up and comers. Kexin Zhang really made a splash internationally last year. Zijun Li is a gorgeous skater and I've been watching her on the JGP for the past two years. I love her lyrical and expressive style; she has the technical goods to compete as well.

Russia: I've never been a fan of Russian skaters until these last two years. Most skaters from Russia were like Irina Slutskaya or Elena Sokolova...or more recently Alena Leonova. They have great jumps but fail miserably in terms of aesthetic appeal. I've fallen in love with Adelina Sotnikova's gorgeous lines, elegant style and huge jumps. I love Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's wonderful performance ability and her textbook jumps...I really think her new programs will help to push her artistically this season and I'm really excited about that. Those are my two favorite Russians right now.

I love that I can cheer for so many skaters from so many countries...I used to be a one-woman skater...it was The Kween or no one! :D

8. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Let me preface my reply by saying that it will be hard for any young skater today to appeal to me instantly the way Kristi & Baiul did at that age because they are having to labor under COP choreography.

Adelina - potential, still too juniorish to tell
    Lisa - don't see any magic here
    Julia - she has no clue musically
    Lena - still skates really young
    Evgeniya - so young, but I think there is something there.

First, in their current form, I didn't find any of them "worth watching" (literally, in that I got bored and stopped before the end of the program).

It was almost painful to watch such young girls with all that ridiculous arm waving and fake emoting in their choreo. All of them look to still be in "I stuck out my arm because the choreographer said to stick out my arm" mode, with out really owning or feeling the choreo. I don't mean to criticize these young ladies unfairly. I can't really think of anyone else this young today who makes me feel the music is moving thru her. It will be interesting to see if one of them can become my first favorite Russian lady (unless you count Baiul, who did start out as a Soviet skater).

What made a skater like Baiul stand out was that she totally moved to the music and used her whole body when she skated. You could see it even at 14 or 15. She made you feel like the movement was her own, not just something she was trained to do. This is the same quality that made me fall in love with Kulik at first sight. They also both had, and Russian skaters often have, another quality I love - the ability to skate with an ease and effortless power. The first lady you linked has that quality.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I agree about Baiul that she had something special from the first time she skated at Worlds in 93. It almost didn't matter if she landed the jumps or not she could skate to the music and feel it in a way few skaters have ever skated. And she could skate to any kind of music. One minute she skating to Ave Maria then the next to Michael Jackson. That's unique and special.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I noticed for the ladies, it's often the Finns (Lepisto, Poykio, Korpi's pretty good too).

I've liked a lot of the French men, even lesser-knowns - Joubert, Millot, Preaubert, Ponsero, Bessighier.

I recently noticed I'm often into the German pairs - Woetzel/Steuer, Savchenko/Szolkowy, and Hausch/Wende specifically.

For dance, I guess it's the French as well (Pechalat/Bourzat, Carron/Jones, Carron/Jost, Anissina/Peizerat, Duschesnays).

11. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Since I live in Germany, I cannot consider Russia "my" country (although my roots are pretty much so ;) ) so my 3 would be:
    - Russia (almost everyone)
    - France (Joubert, Anissina/Peizerat, Pechalat/Bourzat, Delobel/Schoenfelder, Abitbol/Bernadis, Gusmeroli, Meite)
    - Finland (Kettunen, Pöykiö :swoon:, Lepistö, Korpi, Vähämaa)

12. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

No, I'm not, that was just a side note. I said that my vote goes to Russia.

13. a56

a56 New Member

China and Canada

14. Magical Zebra

Magical Zebra New Member

I love just about every singles skater from Japan. I also like many skaters from Russia, and the pairs from China.

15. lulu

lulu New Member

I became a fan of skating thanks to M&D, B&S, G&P, U&Z, etc, those teams are are the 'gold standard' for me and the reason why I love figure skating. So, I always have a soft spot for Russian figure skating, especially pairs & ice dance.

But as far as enjoying skaters, I always enjoyed A&P (France) and D&S (France), Kurt Browning, John Curry, Midori Ito, Shizuka Arakawa, as well.
    After Russia, I would probably say Japan and maybe France, and after that it is probably too spread out to have a favorite country. :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  16. koatcue

koatcue New Member

I love some Ukranian skaters such as Baiul:oksana1:
    But talking about big fs countries I like these in such order:
    USA - men and women:cool::respec::
    Japan - men :):cheer2:
    Canada - for dancing)))

17. liv

liv Well-Known Member

My favourites have usually never been from my own country!!

I love the Russians and the beautiful deep knees of the Japanes singles skaters.

18. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

Finland :cheer2: so many amazing ladies, and Rahkamo/Kokko, still one of my favourite dance teams ever.I used to cheer for them to beat B/K ... I'll probably lose my citizenship!

Japan ... especially in recent years with Dai, Takahiko, Akiko Suzuki and Yuzuru Hanyu ... but also Fumie in her prime and Takeshi Honda.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Canada & Japan