Which Skaters From Which Country (Other Than Your Own) Are You MOST Drawn To?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PeterG, Aug 25, 2012.

?

Which Skaters From Which Country (Other Than Your Own) Are You MOST Drawn To?

1. Canada

38 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. China

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Finland

13 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. France

36 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Germany

16 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Great Britain

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. Italy

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Japan

110 vote(s)
    48.2%
  9. Russia

108 vote(s)
    47.4%
  10. Switzerland

23 vote(s)
    10.1%
  11. U.S.A.

30 vote(s)
    13.2%
  12. Other

12 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I think about this topic every now and then, and while I have favourite skaters from pretty much every country that has figure skaters, I think I've liked pretty much every skater or team from France that's had any international success. I started thinking about the various French skaters and realized, "I have never found any French skater or team to be boring". I know the song is about the U.S.A., but the thought that just went through my head was, "God Bless The French" (says the devout atheist!). :lol:

So which country, other than your own, has the skaters that you just looooove? :D

P.S. I made the poll multiple choice, so you can pick as many countries as you like (love). :)

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

For me:

Russia- G&G, B&S, M&D, Protopopovs, T&M, S&N, V&T, K&S, Plushenko, Yagudin, Kulik, Urmanov, Abt, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Tuktamysheva, Radianova, Lipnitskaya, K&P, B&B, K&O, U&Z, A&S, N&K

Japan- Ito, Asada, Arakawa, Takahashi, Sato, Hanyu, Nakano

Ukraine- Petrenko, Baiul, Volosozhar

Canada- Orser, Browning

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

from the current and new crops

Russia - women/girls, pairs, some ice dancers
    USA - men/boys, women/girls
    China - men/boys, pairs
    Japan - men/boys, women/girls ( especially to Hanyu the Prince of FS )
    Canada - maybe ice dance ? but I don't watch much ice dancing

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

My country is not listed so it is easy to make ticks without feeling like a traitor! Peter G, I assume 'skaters' include CURRENT Seniors and Juniors. I like to be specific. :D

5. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I loooooove the Japanese skaters!

6. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Russia - Plushenko, Gachinski, Yagudin, Kulik, Abt, Tuktamysheva

USA - Brown and Farris, with a small fondness for Abbott

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Michelle Kwan! B Boitano! Peggy Flemming! Jeremy Abbot! A Yagudin! Evgeny Plushenko! Irina Slutskaya! K/O! oh, and I forgot to vote for Canada which has produced V/M, Chan, Kurt Browning, B Orser, B/K:D

8. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I don't care where a skater is from. If i like them I like them. I'm a Brit - I can't say I'm "drawn" to British skaters anymore than I am anyone else. At all.

That being said I do have a thing for Finns (Korpi, Lepisto, R/K :D ) and Japanese ladies.

I also love the Frenchies - Bonaly, Hubert, Gusmeroli, A/P, Duchesnays, Joubert, Amodio, Dambier, Abitbol/Bernadis :smokin: :glamor:

Finally, I do pretty much love ALL the Russians :cheer: :40beers:

9. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Russia and Canada.

And the Czech Republic. Verner and Brezina:swoon: are so sexy and talented. And that dance team was full of voids.

10. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Japan for sure. So much talent.
    Second: tie Canada and Russia
    Hon Mention- love the Italian Ladies (used to love their dance teams- but not so much lately)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Japan and Russia.

12. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Always been drawn to the Russian skaters and the French :)

13. skfan

skfan Member

i saw hwi choi at JGP courchevel, and youtube linked up a lot of suggested vids of korean skaters. i must say i like the attention to beautiful arm and hand movements from many of the korean ladies in these videos--thank you ms. kim for your legacy. :)

it's not just the korean ladies though--ziquan zhao and zijun li have near lu chen level arm movements, too :)

OTOH i will always favor the US ladies because they have the nicest layback spins the world over and some of the nicest spirals.

i like many of the japanese ladies, too--mao asada, haruna suzuki, shion kokubun, haruka imai. daisuke takahashi is my favorite among the men (kozuka is second).

and i like ms. viljanen from finland--i prefer her to korpi, maybe even lepisto. back in the day i loved baiul and swevcenko and M&D. so i guess the country doesn't matter after all, unless you're talking about layback spins :)

14. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i tend to immediately look for russian skaters for their classical styling and sometimes voidiness

15. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

In this order: Russia - Japan - China - France - Johnny Weir! :swoon:

16. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

Yes. :respec:

The ones who I feel drawn to are from a lot of different countries:
    Russia/Soviet Union: Rodnina/Zaitsev, Klimova/Ponomarenko,
    Canada: Cranston, Orser
    Great Britain: Cousins, the Kerrs
    Switzerland: Biellmann, Lambiel
    France: the Duchesnays, Bonaly, Anissina/Peizerat, Candeloro
    Italy: Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Faiella/Scali
    Bulgaria: Denkova/Staviski (who else?)
    Finland: Rahkamo/Kokko and the fabulous synchro teams from Finland
    Japan: Ito, Oda

17. os168

os168 Active Member

I see the skater and don't see the nationality. They could be martian for all I care :p (Actually I do wonder sometimes, some of them seems unreal.)

Given the size of the market in Korea that financially benefit the sport, I do think it deserve to be listed properly and not discounted as some 'other'.

Not to mention the amount of times the flag or the anthem showed up these past 5 years except the last year relative to many countries on that list. :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  18. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I too adore skaters from many countries outside Canada!

Finland Rahkomo and Koko
    France Annisina Peizerat
    Switzerland Stephane Lambiel
    China Chen Lu and Shen and Zhao
    Great Britain Torvill and Dean, Robin Cousins
    USA Michelle Kwan, Paul Wylie, Old school Johnny Weir, Davis and White and many more
    etc. etc.

But I have LOVED THE MOST from
    Japan --- Ito, Honda, Oda, Arakawa, Suzuki, Takahashi, Hanyu to name a few
    and Russia ---- too many to mention them all but here are a few Yagudin, Usova Zhulin, Slutskaya, Gordeeva Grinkov, Fadeev, Petrenko and Baiul who I know are from the Ukraine but represented USSR

19. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

:respec:

Same here! I'm glad we could choose multiples this time. I chose all the countries listed. The list of skaters I like would probably take up a whole page in this thread. :lol:

20. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

USA, Russian and Japan.

I have a joke with a friend that I think of US Nationals like my own nationals haha.

21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

It truly depends, because country affiliation has nothing to do with who I like -- it's all based on who moves me. I picked Germany in this instance because I am a huge fan of Savchenko/ Szolkowy. Obviously, Japan and Russia are winning in the poll due to the sheer numbers of skaters from those countries who possess amazing talent. Perhaps the numbers are down for USA due to many participating in the poll being from USA (or Canada).

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I like North american's basics more than russian's basics (especially canadians). But about skaters, it depends. For example, I love Polina Korobeynikova, who is not a north american skater.
    About the style, canadians again, and german pairs (from Schwarz&Muller, Woetzel&Steuer... to Savchenko&Szolkowy)

23. invierno

invierno Member

What? You don't have Korea? :p

For me it's Canada.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

South Korea, Belgium and Spain did not quality for the long program. :D

25. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

I don't like a skater based on where they are from at all, I just like who I like. It's nice to hear some other people say the same thing. I've been called unpatriotic because I don't always root for the American skaters (I'm from the US) just because they are American. The country that the most skaters I like are from though is Russia or Ukraine, G&G, G&P, K&O, M&D, N&K, Yagudin, Baiul, Petrenko, etc.

26. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I think most of us don't like a skater based on their country either. We just happen to coincidentally like a lot of skaters from a certain country.

ETA: Or we might happen to like a characteristic that a lot of a country's skaters have.

27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, like IMO French skaters tend to be voidy, Italian skaters tend to be emotive, Japanese skaters tend to have pure skating skills, Canadians tend to have CoP ready programs, etc. So one's preferences could favor one country because one prefers a certain style that country has in abundance, while also appreciating a skater from another country who has those qualities (eg, Takahashi is voidy and emotive in addition to having great skating skills).

28. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Russia, Japan and Italy

29. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

For me, I'd say Russia.

For about my entire skate fan life until a few years ago, my favorite pairs have invariably been Russian. (For the last several years, I have had no favorite pair because they all suck by G&G/M&D standards.) Between 1984 and the end of the 1990s, it was also always the USSR/Russian ice dancers who were my favorites (though Klimova-Ponomarenko alone account for about 8 years of that). Russian/USSR men have also very often been my favorites (Petrenko, Kulik, Yagudin). Interestingly, I have never found any USSR or Russian lady to be much worth watching.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  30. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I have not been drawn to skaters because they are from a specific country, the country has never mattered. My favourites are from

Great Britain (Torvill & Dean, Curry, R. Cousins), USA, China, Japan, France, Ukraine, Russia, Germany and Switzerland