Which Skaters do you miss the most...and why?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Dec 12, 2010.

?

Who do you miss the most?

1. Jeni Memo & Todd Sand (Pairs)

3.4%
  2. Amber Corwin (Freestyle)

2.7%
  3. Sarah Hughes (Freestyle)

4.1%
  4. Surya Bonaly (Freestyle)

8.8%
  5. Oksana Baiul (Freestyle)

6.1%
  6. Katia Gordeeva & Sergel Grinkov (Pairs)

35.4%
  7. Kristi Yamaguchi (Freestyle)

12.2%
  8. Katie Orscher & Garrett Lucash (Pairs)

2.7%
  9. Christine Hough & Doug Ladret (Pairs)

2.7%
  10. Jamie Sale & David Pelletier (Pairs)

4.8%
  11. Megan Wing & Aaron Lowe (Ice-Dance)

1.4%
  12. Other...please specify who.

55.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,I thought I'd post this since a lot of skaters that we grew up with (when we first became Skating Fans) don't even skate anymore. Or have disapeered from the Skating world completely.Which does sho a lot of Skaters that I'm sure us Fans miss (Retired or just not competing).So todays question is....Which Skaters do you miss the most...and why? If you choose "Other",please specify which Skater(s).I voted for the skaters I did. Mainly because those skaters really put me back in my mind to the begining of when I first became a Skating Fan when I think of them. LOL. Tara Lipinski,who I ment to add IS one. Anyone else?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'll admit it - I miss Sasha. :sasha1: No lady has ever captured my attention the way she did. I know she's still skating in SOI, but SOI is not really my thing.

I also miss Johnny Weir, but the pre-2006 Johnny. The Rondo Capriccioso and Swan Johnny. Like Sasha, he's obviously still skating, but I'm more of a fan of competitive skating than show skating. (The one exception I'd make for that is Stephane Lambiel. I think I enjoy his show programs even more than his competitive numbers.)

3. zizi31

zizi31 New Member

Yes, I too miss Sasha the most. She still skates in shows, but to me, she's not the same skater she used to be. She just seemed more magical when she was younger (I adore her Madame Butterfly ex from when she was 15).

4. aliona22

aliona22 Member

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I...miss...Plushy!!! :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

6. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

Keauna and Rockne.
    Sasha.

7. Ares

Ares Guest

Michelle Kwan

Jim McKay once said "the ice skating world will be a darker place without her shining above it," and he was right.

8. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Michelle Kwan definitely!

9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree with Michelle.

10. pumba

pumba New Member

Definitely Other.
    In pairs I miss Totmianina/Marinin. They could have easily stayed and be more than competitive by Vanacouver, considering the level of skating showed there.
    In Ice Dance Krylova/Ovsiannikov. I became a skating fan watching their Carmen and Still Got the Blues. If not her injury, I see no problem with them winning the 2002 title.
    Thought its probably too early but I miss Domnina/Shabalin. They've just started to grow on me, and that's a pity they left so early.

Funny that I can not a pick a single name on the poll list, because even G/G never touched me that much :), say nothing of the less decorated skaters.

11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Other: In past I missed John Curry and Robin Cousins very much, as in those days they were totally lost to me the day they left the amateur career. In my country we did not see anything of their pro skating on tv.

After those days so much has changed, now one can watch e.g. show or other material like interviews on youtube, so I´m not missing skaters in the same way anymore. Besides, as some skaters leave the eligible skating, new interesting skaters are appearing all the time. Also I have learned to appreciate some not quite so new skaters, e.g. Chan and a few others. The life goes on, so to speak, LOL.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  12. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I miss Lambiel, quite a bit, and Delobel/Schoenfelder, among the recent ones.
    As for the ones who retired a while ago, there are too many. I still miss Gordeeva/ Grinkov and Berezhnaya/ Sikharulidze, though Pairs are not boring these days; Yagudin, Savoie... too many to name. Hell, I miss Usova/ Zhulin:lol:

13. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

Sasha most of all, but also the Kween-Nationals isn't Nationals without these two. Also Nikidinov.

14. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Nicole Bobek :wuzrobbed

15. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

I love Kwan and G&G, but during this GP season I really want to see Kim and V&M skate. :wuzrobbed

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought !

17. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

What a (mainly) strange selection! :violin: :blah:
    Other; Yags, of course!

18. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Lambiel :D

19. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

Stephane

20. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Other ... Kwan and Yagudin. They simply were the best (IMO)

21. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Plush, Totmianina/Marinin, Abt, Yagudin, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Slutskaya, Weir

22. miki88

miki88 New Member

Michelle! Can't believe she's not listed. :confused:

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

G and G: Magic, never to be recaptured; but, at least we have video.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Surya, Oksana, Sasha, B&S, Abitbol & Bernadis, Yags, Phillipe, Abt, Klimkin, Stannick Jeannette, Laurent Tobel, A&P, L&A, G&P, DenSta, Eman, N&K... these skaters were all just so fun, they were exciting, you never knew what they were going to do next... that's why I fell in love with skating.

25. Fandango

Fandango New Member

Alexei Yagudin, Irina Slutskaya, Takeshi Honda, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Maria Butyrskaya, Stephane Lambiel, Uzova/Shulin, Krylova/Ovsiannikov and - this season - Johnny Weir! :encore:

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lu Chen and Sasha!!

27. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Surya was in a show at Saint-Ouen ice rink last week. A friend of mine told me she was amazingly beautiful, fit, with muscles ... and so on ! ;)

28. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I miss Yagudin sooo much. Men figure skating is not the same since he retired. He was I guess one of the last ones with the whole package - jumps, artistry, emotion and masculine power. Just perfect. He was there and on the top when I got into skating, he spoiled me and now nobody is good enough :p

I miss both Michelle and Irina. Ladies with personality, charisma and own styles, good times. Now all those girls are pretty much the same.

I miss Drobiazko/Vanagas, especially after their 2006 comeback. I have never seen a dance team skating with as much emotion and passion as they did. Tessa and Scott who?
    I know it hasn't been long, but I miss Delobel/Schoenfelder already. So much class and elegance.

Out of pairs, I miss B/S, but also the Siudeks with their crazy innovative lifts.

29. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

As always. :) I'd never expect anything less from her! :cheer2: Bet she still has most of her triples too. What a powerhouse.

30. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

I voted for G&G - because at the end of the day it will be harder for the universe to ever again pair together two superbly beautiful, talented and perfectly matched people on the ice.

After that...Kwan. Watching ladies skating...most women in general don't have a true competitive heart. Kwan, above all, loved to compete to a point where it transported her and us to another level. In retrospect, Kwan's consistency in competition...her multiple "once in a lifetime" performances...it will be years before we see a career like that again.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.