Which skaters can beat a clean Yu Na Kim if they also skate cleanly

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Gabybackhand, Apr 22, 2013.

Which of these people can beat a clean Kim next year with a clean skate

1. Sotnikova

4.6%
  2. Tuktamysheva

2.1%
  3. Gold

5.4%
  4. Wagner

2.5%
  5. Kostner

38.8%
  6. Asada

32.1%
  7. Murakami

2.1%
  8. Czisny

3.8%
  9. Osmond

1.3%
  10. Suzuki

3.8%
  11. Ando (if she returns)

4.6%
  12. nobody can beat a clean Kim

45.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Which of these skaters can beat a clean Yu Na Kim at the Olympics if they also skate clean. If you feel nobody then vote for that option, the bottom one.

2. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Hmm TBH I think a CLEAN YNK is unbeatable. Even if she makes 3 errors, i doubt anyone will sneak up and take the medal home.

3. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Notice I said can, not neccessarily will. I think if everyone skated cleanly Yu Na would probably still win. However there are many variables to clean, a clean performance could more inspired on a day than another one, the content and exact standard of execution and performance on a given day might change, a judge might appreciate certain skaters more or less than other panels. So that with that being said I think the skaters who could beat a clean Yu Na Kim if they also skate cleanly are Kostner, Asada, and Sotnikova. A clean Kim would still likely be scored over all others skating cleanly though, and she is by far the most likely to skate or closer to clean, so yeah she is pretty much certain to win, but I do think it is hypothetically possible for a clena Sotnikova or Kostner especialy to be marked above a clean Kim.

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

MAYBE Mao if she did 8 triples in the long and four in the short (3F-3Lo, 3 something and 3 Axel)

5. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I don't see the point. Even if Kostner or Sotnikova have an out-of-this-world program and skate the hell out of it, they still won't come Close to beating Kim. They're just not at her level.Kim is Kim and as long as the judges love her and she does her stuff, then no one can touch her.

6. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Sotnikova have all the goods to challenge Kim. Great jumps, better spins than Kim, great artistry, she just is inconsistent and had a bad choroegraphed long program this year. However if she skates clean, and getting a home ice boost in the scores probably due to being in Russia, I think she could be close, and depending on the day maybe even beat a clean Kim. I know Sotnikova wont do a clean competition though so it is a moot point, but fun to speculate.

7. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

At this point, i think only Kostner is capable of doing so, but I don't think Kim has yet peaked. I think either oe woud make a worthy Olympic champ next year:)

8. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Oh yes, that long program was just:scream:

Maybe in a few years, she will become like Kim. But it will take time, will and smart decisions.

Just a few years ago, I thought that a clean Asada could beat a clean Kim. Once I realized it would never happen, I worried less about the results and just enjoyed good skating from both.
    Cheesy I know right :lol:

9. munow

munow New Member

Mao Asada with a solo 3A in her SP and a 8-triple LP means she can potentially outscore anyone, but also it is highly unlikely because she is not a very solid technician anymore.

The other girls no.

10. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I had a feeling the judges were ready to give the title to Carolina this WC if she skated clean, even over clean Yuna. Unfortunately she couldn't.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is possible but I doubt that will be the case next year. Kostner is no longer reigning WC, Kim is now again both reigning World and Olympic Champion. I think only Asada would have any chance since she does a harder program with a higher base value. Kostner doesnt have more difficulty than Kim and that is the only way to beat her. Nobody will be beating her in GOE and PCS next season, including Kostner, best case is matching or coming close but unless you have a higher base value there is no place to get ahead of a clean Kim.

12. judgejudy27

As for even this year the protocals for Kostner to win even without her 3 mistakes (1 in the short, 2 in the long) dont quite add up unless you factor in some massive GOE and PCS boost.

13. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

I agree.

A clean Asada would still not get the kind of GOE's that Kim and Kostner do.

However, a clean Kostner means well-choreographed programs with excellent jumps and footwork that can match or exceed Kim's, with 7 triples to boot (assuming she nails her 3F-3T.) If both Kostner and Kim go clean, Kostner should come out on top.

To my chagrin, that's a big If. :eek:

14. nicklaszlo

nicklaszlo Member

Michelle Kwan. Did this really need asking?

15. nicklaszlo

nicklaszlo Member

Patrick Chan?

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

No one. But a clean Kostner is easily in 2nd over a clean Mao

17. b-man

b-man Active Member

I guess its theoretically possible for a clean Caro or Mao to equal a clean Yuna, but neither Caro nor Mao came close to being clean in London, nor did Yuna come close to making a mistake.

18. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Sotnikova? What with her Flutz, unstable Flip and consistently UR'd Toe? Not even close. That girl has serious technique issues.

19. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

A clean Kostner comes close, but not enough, unless it's really inspired. A perfectly clean (no UR) Mao with 8 triples in the LP and 4 triples in the SP, certainly. Both are extremely unlikely, though. Carolina and Mao would have to be perfect under the overwhelming pressure of the Olympics. Carolina bombed both times in Torino and Vancouver. It's likely those demons could return once she steps on Olympic ice again. Mao's layout is so ambitious she has almost no chance of skating it 100% clean.

20. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Agree. After watching the competition at Worlds in London, I was quite disappointed at Russian ladies..

21. Anes

Anes New Member

Nobody... I think a new clean Yuna can only beat a clean Yuna. And then, for the 2nd, even though Mao has 8 triples, I think her jump technic isn't perfect or huge..So I bet Kostner with a strong mentality can be 2nd in the Sochi.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  22. Anes

Anes New Member

23. judgejudy27

This poll should have had only 3 options: Asada, Kostner, or nobody. Anyone else is purely a trolling option. It is the equivalent of having a poll of who can beat a clean Kwan and including Suguri, Liashenko, Poykio, and Jenny Robinson as poll options. Also ROTFL at Czisny receiving 4 votes, that is a good one.

24. karlon

karlon New Member

If Mao clean two programs perfectly, she will also be able to break the Yuna's record.

25. Keftiu

Keftiu New Member

No one. If Kim does clean skate next year, other ladies will compete for 2nd.

26. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I'm very surprised that some chose Asada. I like Asada. A lot. However I picked Kostner since she almost beat Kim in the short at worlds despite making a major error.

I don't feel that the judges have considered Asada an equal competitor to Kim for years. Sure she stills beats Yuna on occasion, 2010 worlds, but only when Yuna makes several mistakes, which isn't the point of this poll's question. Asada? This isn't 2006-2008 anymore. They are no longer equal in the judges' eyes. That ship has sailed.

27. karlon

karlon New Member

28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Based on the PCS at worlds, Kostner.

29. lejssh

lejssh New Member

Only Herself in the future.

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I love Mao but I too think she can't pose a threat to a clean Kim anymore. Kostner at Worlds was closer to Yuna on the PC mark than Mao was in the two programs combined and it also seems there was a lot more quality to the elements Carolina did well than the elements Mao did well in the free skate. Kostner gained some eleven points in GOE over her base value as opposed to Asada's only three approximately. So yeah, Kostner or no one else.