Which Skaters by Discipline did you grow up with when you first became a Sk8ing Fan?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Jun 16, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Ok my friends!!! I don't think we've talked about this before. But,what I want to know from you all today is....not your fav. Skaters..but rather ..Which Skaters..by Discipline did you grow up with,when you first became a Skating Fan? Please use the following Format... Here's my List...

Ladies Freestyle = Tara Lipinski,Sasha Cohen,Surya Bonaly,Michelle Kwan,Amber Corin,

Pairs Skaters = Katie Orscher and Garett Lucash,Jamie Sale and David Perfer.

Ice Dance = Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe,Rene Roca and Gosha Sur,Winkler and Loush.

I'm sure there's more I've forgot. But for now you all....GO!!!
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

For years, I only watched ladies. Which is nutty, as now it's mostly just men, but hey.

Ladies Freestyle = Oksana, Katarina, Tara, Fancy Kerrigan, Michelle, Sasha.

I was so desperate to hear how the 94' Olympics were playing out, that I listened to the whole thing on AM radio live. Yes, I listened to skating. I'm sure I heard some lovely blade scratching noises :slinkaway:
  3. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 New Member

his name is David PELLETIER
  4. FSWer

FSWer New Member

DARN!!! My edit didn't save change David's last name after I rewrote the correct spelling. BTW.,Oksana was one for me too.
  5. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Grew up hearing alllll about Michelle Kwan.
  6. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Dorothy Hammill. Charlie Tickner. Scott Hamilton was an up and comer. :)
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ladies: Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn
    Men: John Misha Petkevich, Ondrej Nepala
    Pairs: Protopopovs, Kaufmans

I don't remember what the teams were in dance until Blumberg/Seibert.
  8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I started watching ladies in 1994 so it would be Oksana and Surya. I got interested in dance in 1998 mostly because of A&P (eta: and G&P, but I didn't grow up with them because they promptly split up :p).
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  9. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

1994 Olympics for me too. I love those Olympics. Norway knew how to hold an olympics. I remember being memerized by the cross country and the speed skating. Fell absolutely in love with Norway.

In terms of skating

Ice Dance - Torvill & Dean and the two Russian teams. The way it was expressed here was very much supportive of Torvill & Dean with an emphasis that they Torvill & Dean were unfairly judged. Presumably this would be as a result of getting British coverage.

Ladies - Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan and Oksana Baiul. I remember being memerized by Surya Bonaly as well. I can't say I remember Lu Chen.

Mens and Pairs I don't have memories of.

1998 I remember Lipinski and Kwan and once again Bonaly was memorable for the commentators we had kept saying Bonaly had planned a Quad Salchow but ended up doing the back flip. Once again I have no memory of Lu Chen.

Ice Dance was very memorable. Memories and the Canadians pulling off the Irish Dancing. The second Russian team doing Carmen. I remember the commentators criticism that they were doing a Carmen program. I remember the French too.

Once again though I do not have memories of the mens or pairs. I know I watched them but I honestly can't say I remember anything about them. And to be honest I don't remember either event in 2002 either. So for pairs and mens it really would have to be 2005 worlds as that was on satellite. Here winter sports are barely mentioned outside of the Olympics. Even with satellite etc today winer sports coverage here is very rare. Thank god for the internet.
  10. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I grew up idolizing Peggy Fleming!

Loved the protopopovs.

Dotty Hamil kinda got on my nerves but I've gotten to like her since. Curry is a god!

I was so heartbroken for tai & randy! :(

I've come to rediscover Lynn, and Cranston and Shelly and JMP, jojo, the militanos, but back then it was like if you didn't win gold, you were forgotten the next day.
  11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

One of the nicest things my parents ever did for me was bringing the second TV from home to me in college, so I could watch Curry skate at the Olympics. There was no cable back then, and I had to hold the end of the antenna and move it around to get reception, but it was worth it. But college was too late to say I'd grown up with his skating, since I started watching when I was five.
  12. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Michelle Kwan. I still remember, around in 1997, I was a fourth grader, my hometown paper was loudly talking about her chance of winning OGM and how she's injured in the FRONT PAGE. AND my hometown was really, really small. That was the first time I came to know her and about figure skating, then I watched the olympics in 1998, so fell in love with her. Unfortunately, my hometown was not well packaged with infrastructure or internet for that matter, I lost touch of everything related to her and figure skating since.

Then in 2009, I watched the world championships in LA, saw Michelle interviewed by hundreds of reporters, feeling quite reminiscing of course:D, and saw Yuna perform. That was my cue to get really into the world of figure skating.
  13. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

Babes: Liz Manley, Kat Witt, Nancy K., Oksana B., Sasha C., Joannie Rocket; Dudes: Kurt, Scott, Phillipe Candeloro;
    Pears: Underheight & Martini;
    Eyes Dance: Krylova & Ovsiannikov, D & L
  14. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan, Lu Che, Irina Slutskaya, Tara Lipinski

Ilia Kulik (i was the biggest fan girl, I had pictures up in my room), Phillip Candeloro

Gishuk & Platov
  15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Klimova-Ponomarenko 1984 OG.
  16. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I remember watching Christopher Bowman, Paul Wylie and David Santee, Tiffany Chin was a favorite, the Carruthers and Tai and Randy. Didn't pay attention to dance until Bolero blew everyone away at the Olympics.

Lost all interest in skating until I was channel surfing and caught Johnny skating, fell in love with skating all over again.
  17. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Maria Butyrskaya, Yagudin, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Anissina & Peizerat...the good "ole" days
  18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Always watched fs during the Olympics since Peggy Fleming, felt heartbroken for Tai & Randy, had the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut, but fell completely in love with the sport by the time of the 1988 Calgary Olympics. Thank you, Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Midori Ito, and G&G! There's been no going back since. We try to watch just about everything. Once we learned that Paul Wylie and Brian Orser were part of the SOI tour, we started going to that (1993 to the present).
  19. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Liked skating my whole life, I'm 63. Grew up going to the Ice Capades in Atlantic City every summer. Watched the limited coverage of skating on TV. It was really the 80 Olympics, though, that made me a total fan..Robin Cousins, Scott Hamilton, Charlie Tickner, Torville and Dean, Tai and Randy, Carruthers..I was hooked! Once skating breaks your heart, Tai and Randy, then one knows one is a fan..
  20. Shyjosie

Shyjosie New Member

Good question, it's very long ago.
    Pairs: Rodnina/Saizev, Riegel/Nieschwitz, Baess/Thierbach
    Ladies: Denise Biellmann, Dagmar Lurz, Linda Fretianne (sp?)
    Men: Norbert Schramm, Jan Hoffmann, Robin Cousins, Toller Cranston
    Ice Dance: Linichuk/Karponosov, Torvill/Dean
    Well, these are the ones I came to watch when I became interested in FS as a kid. My very favourites out of these were and still are Cranston, Cousins and Rodnina/Saizev.
  21. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Great question!

My very earliest was Toller Cranston - my Mom loved him and there was so much talk about his wonderful artistry and his split jumps higher than the boards. His ice show was also the first live skating I saw in Halifax in the mid-later 70s.

I have lovely nostalgic feelings when I see old footage with Johnny Esaw, Otto Jelinek and Debbie Wilkes commentating. Fond memories!

I also remember Karen Magnussen from back then - and being so bothered when I saw the footage of Dorothy Hamill crying because of the booing when she came onto the ice (because of the last skater's marks). I didn't know who she was then - and didn't even realize until a few years ago when someone mentioned that incident on FSU.

The first ice dance team I loved were Wilson and McCall. I met them at Divisionals when my skating club went to watch - and Tracy Wilson was so friendly! Not long after I was entranced (as was the world lol!) with Torvill and Dean!
  22. brilliant9

brilliant9 Member

1994 Olympics Dance. I was twelve and I watched FS for the first time of my life. They were performing 'bodyguard' gala and I realized I've never seen such a handsome man like him(Yes I'm talking about Evgeny Platov:lol:).
  23. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Starting in 1976 I was at every Atlantic City Ice Capades. My earliest fans were Hamill, Curry, Cranston. It's strange how I've blanked on Fratianne and 1980, but somewhere along the way I became a fan of Hamilton. And Elaine Zayak was local so we supported her.
  24. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Starting in 1984 T/D captured my interest initially ' but then I didn't really watch again fully till I saw Gordeeva/Grinkov Katarina Witt in 88 :shuffle:

Have always been an ice dance fan could never get into the mens :shuffle:
  25. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Katarina Witt.
    She was the media darling of 88 Olympics in Calgary. There was so much written about her battle of Carmens against Debbie Thomas.
    Although actual competition turned out to be rather flat, Witt's good looks and charisma surely helped hyping the figure skating event up to the level which non-watchers like me at the time would pay attention.

I ended up enjoying pairs competition with G&G much more than the ladies competition.
  26. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

TANJA SZEWCZENKO !!!
  27. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I started to watch FS in 1989 (at least Euros in 1989 is the first competition I remember watching) :)

MEN: Alexandr Fadejew, Viktor Petrenko, Alexej Urmanov.

I remember that as a little teenage girl I was a real big fan of Victor Petrenko and not only skating wise! :p
    I still have a soft spot for Russian men.

(I know Petrenko is Ukrainian, but he skated Soviet/Russian style) :)

PAIRS: G&G, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev, Shishkova/Naumov

DANCE:
    Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, Gritchuk/Platov

Lucky me! Ice Dance was great these days! Did not care for it so much later on.

WOMEN: I can`t really remember any skater I particularly liked in the very early 90-ies. I think I was not interested in ladies then. The first female skaters I really liked were Maria Butyrskaja, Lu Chen and Irina Slutskaya later on.
  28. Nancy on SINY

Nancy on SINY New Member

It has been a VERY long time since I was a child so I can't remember individual skaters but I do remember my parents taking me to see the live professional shows (Ice Capades &/or Ice Follies). These shows, the circus, summer symphony concerts in the park, and religious music were the main forms of live performances that I saw when I was young. Growing up in Massachusetts, ice skating was something one DID, both outdoors at the local park pond in the winter and at the indoor arena. My parents were beautiful skaters (as well as dancers) but alas I never could master more than putting one foot in front of the other going forward while on skates.

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts - it brought back a lot of good memories of figure skaters, some of whom I have seen in person and others only on TV.
  29. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Ladies - Elizabeth Manley, Josee Chouinard, Karen Preston, Susan Humphreys, Katarina Witt, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan....

Men - Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Brian Orser, Brian Boitano, Jozef Savodcik, Scott Hamilton...

Pairs - Brasseur/Eisler, Sargeant/Wirtz, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Hough/Ladret

Dance - Bourne/Kraatz, Wilson/McCall, Grishuk/Platov (although I didn't like G/P) .. actually didn't pay that much attention to dance (back then). I remember watching Klimova/Ponomarenko as eligibles only once in real time, like not on youtube videos.

My first favourites were Kurt, Brasseur/Eisler, Elvis, Liz Manley and Bourne/Kraatz.
  30. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

:shuffle:
  31. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Pairs: Kilius & Baumler, Rodnina & Ulanov/Zaitshev
    Ladies: Fleming, Seyfert, Magnussen, Lynn, Errath, Hamill
    Men: Curry, R. Cousins, Kovalev
    Dance: Moiseeva & Minenkov, Torvill & Dean, Recoegzy & Sallay
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  32. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I've been watching skating as long as I can remember. My mom and grandmom were big fans. The earliest person I remember them falling in love with was Kristi Yamaguchi and then Oksana Baiul. Those were my early favs. But then came Michelle Kwan...that's who I really grew up watching and it was more than just latching onto my mom's favorite...it was an incredible thing to witness her become the legend she is today and I'm so grateful to have been able to enjoy skating when it was about skating and not just numbers adding up to the most points.

I've always been a bigger fan of the ladies than any other discipline, though we did watch the men as well. Kurt Browning is my all-time favorite male skater; his ease, flow and personality are incredible. Notable mentions to Brian Boitano and Viktor Petrenko. Seeing as how I pay all of that money for a season pass on Ice Network, I really need to start watching more than just the ladies. I've paid some attention to the men, but not nearly as much as I do for the ladies.

Same goes for pairs and ice dance...never really gave them the time of day.
  33. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Midori Ito and Gordeeva-Grinkov for me (1988). Also the two Brians- Boitano and Orser.

Also Katarina Witt and Torville Dean in 1984, but I wasn't quite a fan yet of the sport. I became a huge fan because of Midori and G&G.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  34. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Got to watch Caryn Kadavy and Jill Trenary practice at the Broadmor on many nights. Just fabulous.
  35. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Tai and Randy, John Curry, Starbuck and Shelley, Rodnina and partners.

Later on, Torvill and Dean put ice dancing into my radar.
  36. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Pretty much covers me as well, but I do also remember John Misha Petkevich and Tim Wood.
  37. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Peggy Fleming in 1968 made me a fan. After that I loved Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, John Curry, Tai & Randy, Rodnina/Ulanov then Zaitsev, Charlie Tickner, Toller Cranston. I didn't pay much attention to dance until the mid-80s.
  38. MakeMeLaff

MakeMeLaff New Member

I'm a young one. Heard about Michelle Kwan in 2002, but really watched my first competition on tv at 2006 olympics. sooo .. I guess that means, Sasha Cohen, Irina Slutskaya, Plushenko, Lambiel, Navka/Kostomarov, etc. although didn't see many of them again after the olys.
  39. Rosier Juleps

Rosier Juleps New Member

Being English and of a mature age, I grew up in the glory days of British skating. John Curry, Robin Cousins and Torville and Dean.
    Then life and kids took over and I lost interest in skating.
    Until about 18months ago I happened across a clip of Johnny Weir's poker face and I remembered what it was about skating I liked so much.
  40. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Katarina Witt at the 1984 Olympics, I was 9 years old and it was my first exposure to the Olympics. They were the good old days of Soviet/Eastern bloc and USA rivalry as well as the iconic performance of Torville and Dean. Scott Hamilton won gold too on that blue outfit!