Which Skater(s) who died in the plane crash would you want to have trained you?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FSWer, Jan 8, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Ok. What I want to know today from you all is...which Skater(s) who died in the 1961 Plane Crash would you have wanted to coach and train YOU, if they had NOT died? Please use the following link as a guide-line for names,if you need help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabena_Flight_548 My pick of skaters would be....Diane Sherblom and Larry Pierce,Laurence Owen,and Stephanie Westerfeld. Anyone else?

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sorry but I feel this thread is in very poor taste.

3. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Indeed:(

4. ssmith17

ssmith17 Member

I third.

5. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Still on my ignore list from years back.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  6. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I think that if you consider this Poster, who has a great passion for the sport that we all love so much, get to know him a bit, you would cut him a bit of slack.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

We all have a great passion for the sport. That is why we visit this forum.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I do not think this thread is in poor taste. Why not celebrate the lives and talents of these people? If you asked me what queen I'd like to be a lady in waiting to and I said Queen Elizabeth I of England, would that be in poor taste?

FSWer, I don't have an answer to your question, because I do not know a whole lot about the people who tragically lost their lives on that plane. Hopefully I can see the movie. I do know that I would love love love to have been able to have a lesson or two from John Curry.

9. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Maribel Vinson Owen coached half the team that qualified for Worlds in 1961, and Frank Carroll would desperately want her coaching advice and mourned the loss decades after the crash. Frank never had been a National, World, or Olympic Champion, or even a medalist at that level, but had to take skaters to that level on his own without a mentor. It was quite a journey for him, considering he did not have an Olympic Champion until more than 30 years after his first World Champion, and his first and second World Champions were good enough to be Olympic Champions.

He is the only coach to have had World Champions before and after the elimination of figures and before and after the change over from the 6.0 system to the IJS because his method is simple, produce good skaters.

I think there were many moments when he would have wanted just one more day, hour, minute, or moment to ask her advice.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

I too would have to know more about the skaters, see all of their performances, etc. but in the end it would appear the late, great Maribel Vinson Owen would be The ONE.

In the NOW I sure wish it had been Frank. :cool:

11. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Interesting indeed, it shows how much Caroll managed to build a solid career.

What is his method ? Because it's very noticeable that he produced world champions under all systems : under figures, without figures, change of system, after the COP. Impressive indeed. And his skaters seems to all have (at least champions we get to see at the world level) great basic skills and a very reliable technic.