Which skater or what (televised) event got you hooked?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, May 13, 2013.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

For me, it was Skate Canada 1980 and Elaine Zayak. I was astounded by her performance. She landed 5 double axels and six triple jumps in her free skate. I had never seen anything like it.
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I followed it for a couple of years after the Kerrigan-Harding spectacle, then mostly forgot about it until the 2006 Winter Olympics, when I was extremely impressed by the performances of Sasha Cohen and Shizuka Arakawa. I seem to have made up for most of the lost time.
  3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

94 and 98 Olympics
  4. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I'm sure I have told this story a dozen times already, but Evgeni Plushenko's free skate at Vancouver completely enchanted me.
  5. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

1999 Euros; I'd watched on and off for years, but for whatever reason that was the one that got me hooked. I don't remember any specific performances from it, though.
  6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I haven't missed any competition since 1992 Olympics in Albertville, where Kristi Yamaguchi, Petr Barna, Paul Wylie and Klimova&Ponomarenko enchanted me.
    But my favorite competition was 1996 Worlds, with Michelle Kwan and Lu Chen. That is the competition where I definitely fell in love with Michelle.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I go way back to 1968 in Grenoble, France when Peggy Fleming mesmerized me. Then John Curry & Dorothy Hamill solidified my new found love in 1976 for me.
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  8. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Since the early days of Peggy Fleming, and later Dorothy Hamill, I've enjoyed watching figure skating on TV. My interest level peaked during the Battle of the Brians at the Calgary Olympics in 1988. For several years after that I attended many live figure skating shows like the Champions tours and Brian Boitano's shows (it helped that I was living in San Francisco at the time...late 80s-early 90s). And I always loved Paul Wylie...sooooo happy for him at Albertville! :) I also really enjoyed John Curry and Robin Cousins.

In pairs I'll always remember the Protopopovs, the Carruthers, Tai & Randy, Gordeeva & Grinkov.

After that period I enjoyed following the career of Michelle Kwan. For the past few years my interest has been a bit more casual. Certainly the Vancouver Olympics helped spark my interest-level again.

More recently I been captivated by the rapid rise of Max Aaron. I love the speed, power and excitement he brings to the sport! :respec: I also like Jeremy, Adam, Joshua...don't know as much about some of the younger up-and-coming skaters.

On the U.S. female side, Ashley is very solid, and it's going to be interesting to watch the growth of Gracie. I also like Christina and Agnes.

Internationally, I like Fernandez, Ten...and the Japanese skaters, male and female, are always fascinating and exciting. I enjoy Chan when he's on...which hasn't been too often lately.

EDIT: Yikes, can't believe I forgot to mention Torvill and Dean!
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  9. ItalianFan

ItalianFan New Member

hear hear! I had never watched skating in my life before seeing the Vancouver Olympics and Plushenko mesmerized me totally (note fsu join date!). In the ensuing couple of years I have watched every program available on the web, seen him twice in shows and still hope to see a competition before he withdraws if he manages to compete next season. In the meantime, I also discovered other fascinating skaters as well.
  10. floskate

floskate Vacant

Definitely Mack & Mabel at the 1981 St Ivel and then again at the British Ice Dance championships (which used to be televised!!!) and I followed T&D religiously through until 1984. On the back of them, John Curry & Robin Cousins, we actually got a fair bit of skating in those days on both channels. If only I'd had a VCR back then. :wuzrobbed I sort of dipped in and out after T&D retired for the next quad; I watched the TV broadcasts (much fewer once UKTV realised there wasn't going to be another Curry/Cousins/T&D) but I wasn't really invested in anyone. It was Calgary that absolutely drew me back in and from then I was obsessed, although that has waned a lot in recent years. :(
  11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I first became a figure skating fan after watching Dorothy Hamill win Olympic gold. I stayed a fan until shortly after the Tonya-Nancy debacle when television was flooded with many skating shows that were low quality productions with poorly skated performances.

I rediscovered my love of figure skating after watching Evan Lysacek perform his long program at the 2006 Olympics. I have been a huge fan of Lysacek and figure skating since then. Luckily I have been able to watch twenty live performances by Lysacek...and he never disappoints...100% committed to each performance & very consistent (only one fall during 20 performances)
  12. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I watched every Olympics starting with Oksana but it was Sasha in 2002 who made me a frequent flier. I never saw anything so exquisite.

ETA: How could I forget? Alexei Yagudin at the same Olympics.
  13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I skated for a couple years as a kid, so I also followed the sport on TV at the time.

I would say that Tonya Harding at 1991 Skate America, and the Duchesnays at the 1992 Olympics, are what got me from occasionally watching on TV in Olympic years to fascinated and ultimately obsessed.
  14. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Initially it was The Whack that brought me in. Then a month or so later I watched Surya rip off her medal while on the podium and I was hooked.
  15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I've been watching since CBS did the first televised coverage in the US, of the 1960 Olympics.
    I was six.

I doubt that most of you realize how little skating was shown on network TV, until the "boom" of the 1990'a
    Perhaps two to four hours per year, except for the Olympics.
  16. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

I was flipping through the channels one day and happened upon Davis and White skating their FD at 09 Worlds.
  17. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

Toller Cranston.
    I grew up in a very religious, conservative, narrow-minded environment, so Toller's flamboyance was even more appealing to my fledgling non-conformist rebellion. :)
    Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Sasha Cohen at the 2006 Olympics.
  19. unchat123

unchat123 New Member

1997 Chrysler Dreams on Ice on TV - fell in love with Bechke and Petrov and started following the sport (eligible and pro) closely from then on.
  20. keep n spin n

keep n spin n Member

Tara Lipinski at Worlds when she won... a year before she went to the 1998 Olympics.
  21. skatesindreams

Toller, for me, is the greatest creative force; and innovator of all.
    If I wasn't already "hooked", I certainly was, after seeing him for the first time in 1973.

He pioneered the modernity and freedom that all skaters take for granted now.
    I believe that he blazed the trail; and often "took the heat" with the judges, so that John Curry could have the artistic freedom to accomplish what he did.
    Never mind the shows, and groundbreaking television specials he did as a professional.

IIRC, in an interview, Robin Cousins once said that people would never know what Toller had done/made possible for him.

I will always be grateful to Torvill and Dean for showing me that "perfection" in skating was possible!
  22. dardar1126

I haven't thought about him in some time! I always enjoyed his skating performances...he really stood out as an original in his day.
  23. skatesindreams

delete double post.
  24. yunasashafan

yunasashafan New Member

Sasha Cohen, 2006 Olympics.
  25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

For me it was Michelle Kwan's 1996 worlds performance. I saw it on TV as a young kid on ESPN Classic Figure Skating :)
  26. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I've been watching since the 1976 Olympics and Dorothy Hamill's win. I became intoxicated with the sport as a young girl, and have maintained interest throughout my life. There are so many wonderful memories that I would have trouble listing them here. If I just think back quickly, I have to remember Hamill, Scott Hamilton, Battle of the Brians, Katarina Witt and all the intrigue, Kristi Yamaguchi (pairs and single), Gordeeva & Grinkov, the whack, Oksana Baiul's meteoric rise, Russian costuming, Torvill & Dean, Usova & Zhulin, Irina Rodnina (in all her various incarnations), Denise Biellman, Nicole Bobek, Rudy Galindo, Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipiniski, Maria Butyrskaya ... so many memories ... too many to write :)

O-
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

1988 Olympics: Gordeeva-Grinkov

and a few days later- Midori Ito
  28. dardar1126

Thanks, OliviaPug, for reminding me of Rudy Galindo...it was a joyous and unexpected moment of redemption when he won the national championship in his hometown! :encore:
  29. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

The 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. It immediately turned into a lifelong love, and I was on the ice not long after that.
  30. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

At the seventies, everything they show in Finnish tv, but especially Rodnina-Zaitsev.
    After the pause with tv, in 1990 and so far, Eurosport with Simon and Chris, then Viktor Petrenko and the rise of our Finns Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko. I got hooked again, and the rest is... well, a lovely infatuation!
  31. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

For me, I think it was Yagudin with his Lawrence of Arabia program in 99. That was the first time I saw figure skating in my life, didn't know it existed. I became instantly engaged to Anissina/peizerat and Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze.
    It's been non-stop since then and actually my fandom and interest grow every year even more
  32. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Kristi Yamaguchi. 1992.
  33. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Originally it was Christopher Bowman, then I lost interest until I saw Johnny Weir skate and fell in love with the sport all over again.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  34. kathy sullivan

kathy sullivan Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan 1996 Worlds
  35. matti

matti Active Member

And the man behind all this was Seppo Kannas ! :respec: He was no expert but really loved the sport. When working alone on YLE (1964-1993) he had the magic touch of creating the right kind of mood for all the competitions. Thinking of the macho sports media, I doubt they would have showed so much of figure skating (and gymnastcs, he even was a rhythmic gymnastics sportscaster!) without him. After retiring from YLE his Eurosport efforts were not in the same league: I think the co-commentator was a distraction... ;)
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  36. dardar1126

I always liked Rahkamo & Kokko...they were so unique, so avant garde! :cool:
  37. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I watched it off and on until the 1998 Olympics, but after the 1998 Olympics I became a huge fan. The highlights for me were Elvis Stojko's performance while skating with the groin injury, the top four dance performances (especially B&K's Riverdance), and the Michelle/Tara showdown. I think it was Michelle/Tara that really hooked me.
  38. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

For me it was the '88 Olympics from Gordeeva/Grinkov, the Duchesnays amazing 'Savage Rite' FD, to the Battle of the Brians, to the Battle of the Carmens and Midori Ito. I also remember I liked the late Kira Ivanova's dresses and her avant garde style. :cool:
  39. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I had watched figure skatings on/off for years, and didn't know the difference between professional skating and amateur skating, I just knew that I liked it. However, I remember one Friday night and saw on the TV Guide channel or whatever that the ladies event was on at the 1998 Nagano Olympics. I was thirteen years-old, and fell in love with Michelle Kwan.

I hadn't been the same since.
  40. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Another Toller Cranston here!

It was the 70s and I was about 3 or 4 and my Mom was a huge fan!

We loved watching his split jumps that were higher than the boards and to me what he did looked like magic! Also I have such incredibly fond memories of the CTV team - Johnny Esaw and Otto Jellinek and Debbie Wilkes!

Toller was also the first skater I saw live a few years later when his show came to Halifax - where I was living at the time. Even more magical in person!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.