Which Of These Television Series Should One NOT Miss Out On?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 29, 2013.

Which Of These Twelve TV Shows Do You Recommend Others See IMMEDIATELY?

1. 24

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Battlestar Galactica

15 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Breaking Bad

17 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Buffy The Vampire Slayer

23 vote(s)
    25.6%
  5. Deadwood

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Friday Night Lights

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. Lost

25 vote(s)
    27.8%
  8. Mad Men

18 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Oz

11 vote(s)
    12.2%
  10. The Shield

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. The Sopranos

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. The Wire

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I just read about a book in Entertainment Weekly by Alan Sepinwall entitled, "The Revolution Was Televised: The Cops, Crooks, Slingers and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever". TV critic Sepinwall tells the story of twelve series in his book that:

The amazon description for this book concludes with:

So which of these TV series do you recommend people view IMMEDIATELY!!!?? (The poll is multiple choice, so vote for as many as you like.)

Also, do you feel there is a series that existed around the same time as these shows...that is more deserving of being on this list than any of these twelve?

2. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I feel like a freak, but honestly I have never seen a single episode of any of those except for Mad Men. I've never missed an episode of Mad Men. I just don't watch much that's new.

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:shuffle:

You know a number of these shows began in the 1990's, right?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

The only one on the list I've ever seen any of was '24'...

5. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen all those shows, but I know they all have gotten rave reviews. Of what I've seen though, Lost is the only one I think is not quite on par with the rest. It started out really strong, but I don't think it was as consistent as some of the other shows on the list. I'm a huge Breaking Bad fan and think Bryan Cranston has to be giving one of the great performance ever on TV. The Wire was a great series as well.

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

For me it was Buffy alllll the way. I just lurved the way she kicked @ss.

I picked 24 cause that was the show my husband made sure was taped -- even went to far as to program it on his computer back in the day.

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Of the ones listed, my dorky side strongly recommends Battlestar Galactica:cheer: It gets better and better each time I watch it.

orientalplane, PeterG, Cyn and 3 others like this.
  8. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I watched LOST through the whole series, but it got pretty crappy. From shows that were on around the same time, but not in the list, I would recommend Veronica Mars, especially now that they've finally been greenlit (with fan funding) to make a movie.

9. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I forget 1990 was nearly 25 years ago. It still sounds new. :)

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I watched Buffy when it was on, but I was in college/grad school...going back to it now I don't really find it worth rewatching. I do keep meaning to get around to Deadwood one of these days.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I finished Battlestar Galactica in August and I'm on my fourth re-watch already :shuffle: I'm totally obsessed. It's just a really, really remarkable show. Taking this really cheesy 70's sci-fi show and, through phenomenal acting, amazing writing, beautiful cinematography, and well-thought-out storylines that are truly relevant to things that are actually occurring for us now, turning it into something that not only re-set the bar for sci-fi shows but, IMO for all television shows out there is just an amazing achievement.

And if you guys think I'm obsessed with Jennifer Lawrence, don't even get me talking about Mary McDonnell. I just don't have as much opportunity to flail about her, but she's my actual favorite actress. I've watched some pretty bad movies for her sake :lol: And some very good ones, of course!

Also, the music is incredible,and if you do decide to watch, I think the series itself is better than the miniseries (the first episode of the first season is generally considered to be one of the best episodes of the entire show), so if the miniseries is not quite floating your boat please be sure to move onto the actual series as well and then make your decision.

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I haven't watched any of these. The series I'm currently watching are The Walking Dead, Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones. We are going to check out Homeland and Hotel Paradise (?), which was apparently a huge hit in England the first season. A friend has downloaded those episodes to us so we have them on the computer.

Downton Abbey would be the one to not miss out on, followed by Game of Thrones. Much as the Walking Dead's viewership has increased exponentially - ironic, given that the zombies do the same - I can understand that some people couldn't take the violence. I watched the entire first two Seasons during a marathon and had nightmares about those zombies for weeks!! Fortunately, that has passed as I've gotten used to them.

13. duane

duane New Member

Of the shows listed, I've only seen The Sopranos and Oz. I chose the one that had hot naked men and hot men kissing show after show after show. ;)

14. znachki

znachki Active Member

Buffy, Deadwood and The Wire. Although I didn't pick it, I'd say the 1st season of 24 as well.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

My top four would be:

1. Lost
    2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    3. Oz
    4. Deadwood

I've seen every episode of the first three and the first season of Deadwood (looking forward to seeing the following seasons). One show I would add to the list is "True Blood". :respec:

I saw one episode of Breaking Bad at my Mom's place and I hated it. I think the two lead acts were held captive in a cabin in the desert and not much happened. So boring. Plus lots of foul language, which makes it awkward knowing your Mom does not appreciate that kind of language! :lol:

I thought I had seen one episode of The Wire, but it didn't do much for me. Checked youtube for a trailer and found this. Hmm...is this representive of the series? :(

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Buffy, no contest.

17. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Buffy! Hands down...my favorite television show of all time. I still watch it on Netflix every now and again.

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Mad Men - definitely 100%%%

I loved Lost when it was on, but after the ending, I really have no desire to rewatch. But I would watch Mad Men over.
    I watched The Sopranos after it was over on AMC - and the swearing was cleaned up, they said 'frickin' - which made me laugh in scenes I should not have been laughing, so I probably lost something. I enjoyed it, but would not watch again.

I saw some seasons of 24, entertaining show, but have not gone out of my way to watch other seasons.

Have not seen any of the others listed. But The Wire is one I hear people mention quite often as great, and I do plan on seeing that from beginning to end at some time.

19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There's a lot more violence, also more politics, some humor (not always to my taste), and you can't really get a sense of the quirkiness of some of the characters from the brief clips there.

I will say that it took me a few episodes to get into because there were so many characters introduced all at once and I found it hard to keep track. Reading the TWOP recaps helped.

I voted in the poll before I realized I could vote for more than one, so only The Wire got my vote. Of the remaining choices, I have seen Mad Men, Deadwood, Friday Night Lights, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (first 4 seasons), which I would recommend in that order.

But it really depends what kind of subject matter and structure you're interested in.

Others from the same time period I would also recommend include The West Wing and Six Feet Under.

20. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I've seen Oz and The Sopranos and some of Buffy, Lost and The Shield.

Of those I plan to one day watch Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Also The Wire as The Corner was amazing and it is by the same people.

Oh and Oz all the way. Loved that show.

21. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I'm not sure these are the 12 shows I'd pick as having revolutionized tv drama. But for "must see" tv, from this list I'd pick Buffy up until she came back from the dead or maybe when they introduced Dawn.

22. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

Buffy all the way!!!!!!! :cheer2: I agree about Dawn though...she didn't ruin the show for me, but I could do with out her.

23. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

The only one of those shows I've watched is Buffy.

24. michiruwater

Yeah, except Dawn was introduced in the same season as Glory, and I flove Glory. And wasn't the musical in season 6?

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Hated Glory. So stop with Dawn but do a special reunion show with the musical.

I think the whole show lost focus when they graduated from High School. It really wasn't Dawn, per se, though the character was particularly annoying to me.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Lost is easily #1 on my list, I had it in mind before seeing the poll options. I also chose Breaking Bad, that is a great show. Many of the others I never even tried to get into. I did try to watch Mad Men and thought it was dreadful and boring. Never made it past episode 3 or so.

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I'm going to check this show out. I thought I saw an episode or various scenes, but it didn't grab me. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance...it's coming in third in the poll behind my top two choices, so I'm taking that as a sign! :lol:

Deadwood is VERY well written. And it has such a great cast! Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, John Hawkes, Keith Carradine, Titus Welliver (Lost, The Good Wife), Powers Boothe, Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Geri Jewell, Molly Parker and the fabulous Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane.

I think I'm going to check to see how much the box set for Oz is selling for these days. :D

28. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I loved Lost. Yeah, it was a bit weak in the middle of the series, and by the end they just had so many loose ends to tie up that it almost was too much. But I thought it ended well, and I just love it. Unapologetic fan here :lol:

I also watched a few seasons of Buffy, really enjoyed it, but just never felt compelled to finish the series. Same with Mad Men. I've never seen Breaking Bad but it's certainly on my to-watch list!

Shows I highly recommend:
    -Homeland
    -Game of Thrones

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Hands down, Battlestar Galactica. I'm particularly snooty when it comes to television dramas and especially science fiction, and BSG absolutely blew my mind. I'm also not one to invest in buying television series on DVD, but I have every season of it and it never gets old.

The writing is excellent, the characters well-developed (and flawed), and the cast, particularly Mary McDonnell, Edward James Olmos, James Callis, Katee Sackhoff, and Jamie Bamber, are outstanding in their roles.

For those who are gun shy when it comes to Sci-Fi, it's not all about lasers, crazy aliens, photon torpedos, and dogfights in space (though the CGI are extremely good, especially considering the budget for the show); it's a drama that happens to take place in space. The overall theme and plot lines throughout the series parallel and challenge a lot of what was going on in our world post-9/11, and raises the question of what it means to be human.

Not many shows can boast a Peabody Award, and BSG is on that short list. It was definitely IMO the most wuzrobbed series when it came to the Emmy Awards, which was frustrating as hell to deal with year after year - Mary M., EJO, and James Callis in particular should have easily been nominated (if not win outright) for Best Actress, Actor, and Supporting Actor.

Lastly, Bear McCreary created one of the best musical scores/soundtracks in television history. I have several of the seasons on CD, and in fact have been salivating to have it used in figure skating as there are several pieces in particular that would work perfectly, particularly in the Pairs and Mens disciplines.

30. michiruwater

So say we all! :cheer2:

Edward James Olmos actually wrote into his contract that if there was ever a four-eyed or green alien on BSG he was going to faint on camera and then walk off and quit the show. When Cyn said is exactly what I tell my friend: it's a serious drama that happens to take place in space.

And I agree with all the actors you mentioned, and in particular I cannot believe Mary was never even nominated (though she made the shortlist the last season). Ridiculous.