Which of these Russian skaters is most likely to succeed in seniors?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Sep 15, 2012.

Which of these Russian skaters is most likely to succeed in seniors?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2012.
  1. Adelina Sotnikova

22 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

39 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Julia Lipnitskaya

23 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. Elena Radionova

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Growth spurts and body changes have killed off many a promising skaters career in the transition from juniors to seniors. Adelina Sotnikova really struggled last season, following on from winning World Juniors the season before that. In contrast, Liza T, who finished 2nd to Sotnikova at 2011 World Juniors, won her first two senior Grand Prix events.

So, which of the Russian skaters listed in the poll is most likely to succeed in the senior ranks?

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Elizaveta, since she's the most successful so far IMO and she has better presentation than the others, who seem to rely more heavily on their technical abilities.

3. koatcue

koatcue New Member

I really like Adelina this year) She looks mature..Her skating is powerful

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think it will be Elizaveta because she has the purest jumping technique so even if she grows a bit, it shouldn't affect her as much. Julia is another one who has a great chance at succeeding because she's already getting monster PCS and the judges love her.

5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Adelina and Radionova seem to have the better skating skills for me

6. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Love Adelina's new free program. She is looking a lot more solid, confident, and self assured than she did last season. Bodes well for a great season ahead.

Great new short program and exhibition too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I have a personal favourite I voted for, but I sincerely hope that all of these girls :kickass: as seniors. I would be so cool if ladies might be the dominating force in Russian figure skating. (Still remember Mishin once saying Russian women are more suited to work on construction of railways. :mad:)

8. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Unless they're blessed with Sasha Cohen's genes (if not her consistency), my worry is that all of these skaters have yet to hit puberty.

It reminds me of the World Junior ladies' event in 1996 when Russia swept the podium.

Elena Ivanova, Elena Pingasheva and Nadea Kaneava were amazing at that event (placing ahead of Fumie Suguri, Shizuka Arakawa, Vanessa Gusmeroli and Tara Lipinski).

9. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I voted for Adelina after seeing her perform at Russian test skates. She had obvious growth problems last year, but overcame them beautifully. This year she still has most of her jumps (I don't know what is the status of 3Lutz-3Loop, might have lost that one), and if anything they got even bigger and her skating is even more powerful. So even if she'll grow more later she showed she can deal with it.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Recent interview with Alexei Mishin.

In the interview, he is asked about the current situation with Tuk. Here is the google translation:-

Hence, looks like the reverse of last season with Adelina in good form, and Liza T starting the season dealing with a growth spurt/body changes. However, Liza will come through it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

yeah looks like it will be Adelina bouncing back and will be Tuk Tuks turn to struggle this season , followed by Julia next season? :yikes:
    we'll see how they do this season, better now than later

12. b-man

b-man Active Member

I don't think its a question of "if" Adelina and Liza will be successful as seniors, they already are successful. Liza has already won 2 GP's and made the GP final. Adelina, even while struggling, finished 3rd in both GP's and won the difficult Russian nationals over world silver medalist Leonova. They are already sucesses, and Julia will join them this year, and be a success in the GP's.

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

ITA. Those girls are true wonders!

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I love Liza, Adelina and Julia, but I am reluctant to make any predictions about them right now, because of their young age. Many young skaters don't make it to the top, after showing initial promise (I know that's a pretty generalized statement).