Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 8, 2013.

Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2013.
  1. Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC

36 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America

61 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Olga Prokuronova & Karel Å tefl - 2006 European Championships

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Midori vs "Who"ber(or was that Hoover, the ice cleaner) probably influenced the course of ladies skating the most.

1991 Worlds would have been:

1. Midori
    2. Tonya
    3. Kristi

Or

1. Tonya
    2. Midori
    3. Kristi

if Hoover had not chosen to demonstrate "This is what a speeding Zamboni vs a Word Champion skater looks like."

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Adam Rippon really needs to watch where he's going! ;)

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Obertas & Palamarchuk had a pretty scary fall at one time. I don't remember which competition it was- it may have been a GP.

Another one: At the 2006 Olympics OD, the Canadian ice dance team had a very hard fall while spinning (why can't I remember their names?)

ETA:Obertas-Palamarchuk accident occurs at the 4:05 mark in this video (2000 worlds LP):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FAPCvT9pk

Palamarchuk did recover enough to skate with another partner (Chuvaeva) 2 years later.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  6. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

You certainly mean Dubreuil/Lauzon? Yes, it looked terrible, and she was so badly hurt that they had to withdraw, what must have been devastating since they had been contenders for the gold medal....

It's a little mean, because the accidents which had happen in front of the cameras will always be remembered, while the ones which happen during training might even go unnoticed unless absolutely life threatening (or, maybe, will be mentioned in some biography in case the skaters make it big and become famous). There are certianly many young skaters who suffer severe injuries and even have to quit skating due to bad accidents who never get any attention.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yes, Dubreil-Lauzon. Thanks. I don't believe they had any shot at the OGM however. Navka-Kostomarov, Belbin-Agosto and Denkova-Staviyski were the top teams, not to mention Delobel-Schoenfelder who were also skating very well. They had an outside chance of winning a bronze, if many pieces fell into place for them. I think it was more about competing at the Olympics and getting a top 5 placement. I am sure it was devastating for them to not be able to skate their FD.

8. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

Of course you are perfectly right. They were, probably, contenders for a medal - but not the gold medal, then. I mixed it up with the worlds, when they came 2nd behind DenStas.

9. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I agree that all of these accidents are scary.

I also remember Alexander (Sasha) Abt had that accident in Mexico. He had been told he may never walk again...let alone skate.