1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 8, 2013.

Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2013.
  1. Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC

36 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America

61 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Olga Prokuronova & Karel Å tefl - 2006 European Championships

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Midori vs "Who"ber(or was that Hoover, the ice cleaner) probably influenced the course of ladies skating the most.

1991 Worlds would have been:

1. Midori
    2. Tonya
    3. Kristi

Or

1. Tonya
    2. Midori
    3. Kristi

if Hoover had not chosen to demonstrate "This is what a speeding Zamboni vs a Word Champion skater looks like."

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Adam Rippon really needs to watch where he's going! ;)

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Liza, Julia, Elena, Evgenia, Russian pairs

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Obertas & Palamarchuk had a pretty scary fall at one time. I don't remember which competition it was- it may have been a GP.

Another one: At the 2006 Olympics OD, the Canadian ice dance team had a very hard fall while spinning (why can't I remember their names?)

ETA:Obertas-Palamarchuk accident occurs at the 4:05 mark in this video (2000 worlds LP):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9FAPCvT9pk

Palamarchuk did recover enough to skate with another partner (Chuvaeva) 2 years later.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  6. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Well-Known Member

You certainly mean Dubreuil/Lauzon? Yes, it looked terrible, and she was so badly hurt that they had to withdraw, what must have been devastating since they had been contenders for the gold medal....

It's a little mean, because the accidents which had happen in front of the cameras will always be remembered, while the ones which happen during training might even go unnoticed unless absolutely life threatening (or, maybe, will be mentioned in some biography in case the skaters make it big and become famous). There are certianly many young skaters who suffer severe injuries and even have to quit skating due to bad accidents who never get any attention.

7. Vash01

Yes, Dubreil-Lauzon. Thanks. I don't believe they had any shot at the OGM however. Navka-Kostomarov, Belbin-Agosto and Denkova-Staviyski were the top teams, not to mention Delobel-Schoenfelder who were also skating very well. They had an outside chance of winning a bronze, if many pieces fell into place for them. I think it was more about competing at the Olympics and getting a top 5 placement. I am sure it was devastating for them to not be able to skate their FD.

8. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Well-Known Member

Of course you are perfectly right. They were, probably, contenders for a medal - but not the gold medal, then. I mixed it up with the worlds, when they came 2nd behind DenStas.

9. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I agree that all of these accidents are scary.

I also remember Alexander (Sasha) Abt had that accident in Mexico. He had been told he may never walk again...let alone skate.

10. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I can't figure out how to vote. But I'm going to say Jessica and Zhang and Zang as a tie. BTW. while were talking about accidents. a friend of mine found a link about a lady Ice Skater (no name given) who was Skating on an Outdoor Rink (yes completely frozen). She had done a jump,and when she came down to land she fell through the ice. Does this sound familar to anyone? Does anyone know of or have the link I'm talking about?

11. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Obviously for me it was Beresnaya. She almost died. It wasn't live but I saw both Tot's fall and Dube's skate in the face. Both awful. You can actually youtube a bunch of skating accidents.

12. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Probably advancing knowledge of brain injury and its rehab. Even now most people assume helmets are a great preventive, but they actually just provide another hard surface for the skull and brain to rattle against. I think the current hope is soft helmets, if they can develop the technology to make them really protective. I wish they would come up with a non-helmet solution. When my husband was just home from rehab and still falling all the time, and also very difficult emotionally, I knew there was no way I could get him to wear a helmet so I didnt even try... and he had another concussion. A small one, fortunately.

13. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I remember the Swedish commentators said Galina Maniachenko was hit in her face by her partners blade while she was skating pairs. I've never seen footage of it, maybe it was in practice too, like Elena B. The accident made Maniachenko change discipline to singles, she didn't want to skate pairs anymore. (Understandably!). Thankfully she recovered and had a fine singles career.

Prokororova & Stefl's fall was so scary, and it ended their partnership. Thank God she was OK.

I don't want to rank accidents either, but I think it's an "interesting" subject (if I'm allowed to say that without sounding morbid). They say something about the sport, especially pairs and dance, how dangerous it is, and what crazy mentally these skaters have. Obertas & Palamarchuk's fall in 2000 ended their partnership too, when they had been medalists (gold?) at junior worlds twice and were opted to be future senior champions. Totmianina on the other hand continued skating with Maxim. (I'm so glad!). Woetzel stayed with Steuer. Dube stayed with Davidson. She-Zhang got up, rested some, then continued her program. When these girls crash into the boards - Peng in Boston, Zagorska during warm up at worlds 99 being two, the get up like nothing happened and goes on. Candice Didier was back on the ice, finishing her program. The adrenaline must be so wild.

I do agree Binnebose and Berezhnaya's accidents are the worst, as someone else has pointed out, it could have been life threatening, and Paul didn't make a full recovery. Elena wasn't expecting to do so either, but Moskvina and Anton took care of her. In one of Brennan's book, Moskvina was quoted saying something like this to Anton, when he started skating with Elena: This is your crystal wase. It has been broken once, so you must be very careful with it.
    I always loved how Anton would touch Elena so gently and be such a tender, yet strong partner.

(BTW how about Artur Dmitriev jr.? Didn't he collide with a another skater in practice and got her blade in his face, resulting in 85 stitches or something? Interwievs he has later said it was no big deal. Wow, cool guy:D)

14. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

Bereshnaya was the worst I've heard of. I still remember hearing people talk about her story on TV when I was much younger. That turned me off the idea of doing pairs, but it was really inspiring.

Synchro accidents can get pretty bloody since there's so many skates whizzing around. I've been stabbed by skates several times, had quite a few bloody fingers, and treated quite a few cuts. Heck, they make us sign a waiver that specifically mentions decapitation by skate as a possibility. A few incidents that are noted as the worst in synchro (and one that may well be in the future):

-? (I think it was the Hockettes?) Back in the '90s there was a junior team that was doing a beautiful angel-themed program while wearing white dresses. As part of the program some girls would bunny hop over the hands of the other girls doing lunges. At a competition one of the bunny hoppers didn't get high enough or wasn't in the right spot, leading her to create a giant gash on the shoulder of one of the lunging skaters and causing blood to go all over her dress. A few of the midwestern coaches I've worked with remembered it well enough to tell me this 10+ years after the fact.
    -At worlds (2007) one of the favorites were Marigold IceUnity. During their SP's box intersection one of the girl's legs was in just the wrong position during a twizzle, severing an artery in the leg of another skater. They had to stop the program to clean the blood off the ice and the injured skater was rushed off (though she tried to keep doing the program). There used to be a video online, although it's not up any more. The music was "Hard Rock Hallelujah," so I thought it was a pretty funny and morbid coincidence that something that one might consider metal happened during the performance.
    -At nationals (2016) Skyliners were the favorites to win the Junior FP. They had a really rough skate with lots of falls that caused a lot of bleeding. There was so much blood that they had to do an impromptu ice resurfacing.

wouldacoulda likes this.
  15. SlavicaK

SlavicaK Member

I would add Tarasova and Morozov in the 2014 Russian Nationals:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9p1gUU7olw
    The accident happens at 4:36

Though they do go on to finish the program, it's very obvious how painful it is and they are both very shaken. I'm amazed there are no doctors rushing to them; a lot of these injuries can be internal and not immediately obvious, so a thorough checkup is essential.

ETA: A man approaches Evgeniya with ice as she exits. I guess that is the doctor, but no checkup right away.

The commentator mentions that they were tired from a string of competitions and appearances (at least I think so, my Russian is not great).
    ETA: Who is the commentator? It must be a high level skater, as she mentions being at the Universiade and Grand Prix finals.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  16. Vash01

I wish there was an 'Other' option in this poll.

17. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

Of the options here, Tatiana and Max for sure

18. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

Never saw this. What a terrible performance all around. Yikes. I mean he really dropped her. Their coach seemed like a complete jerk. Smh

19. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

WOW.....I wasnt a member yet when this thread was created.

I was SECOND ROW when I saw the Totmianina/Marinin accident at SA in Pittsburgh.. It was horrific.. and eery especially witnessing it live.... She would lay unconscious on the ice.. even when medical attention (not much medical staff around if u ask me) walked out and arrived. I remember looking at other people seated near me grabbing their crosses around their necks and saying a prayer.I thought about it for weeks afterwards

When I saw Dube & Davison on TV I was completely horrified..... This one sticks out in my mind the most as of today.

Two other accidents I was looking for in the poll but did not find it listed was the Marie France-Dubreil & Patrice Lauzon accident in 06 in Torino. Unlike Z&Z in pairs they didnt finish their program and she was taken directly to the Torino hospital. That looked awful...

And the other TOP contender is the Isabelle Brasseur & Lloyd Eisler failed lift where he hauled her up and then he lost his footing and she flew up in the air and came right down flat and hard on her rib cage. Still so hard to even watch that.... Isabelle is one tough broad!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Vash01 likes this.
  20. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

Didn't Yuka Kavguti dislocate her shoulder during a GP program once, pop it back in, and keep going, or am I mistaken?

21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Christine Hough/Doug Ladret had a bad triple twist crash in the beginning of their 1991 Canadian Nationals long program, with Christine's head making contact with the ice. After diagnosing that Christine did not have concussion symptoms, they were able to have a re-skate from the beginning and hung on for the silver medal.

22. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yes, she did. Can't remember which competition, but I cringed at the time.

kittysk8ts likes this.
  23. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I witnessed a really scary incident back in '98 at Mariposa. I was watching an elite practice session and Canadian competitor Susan Humphries leg got sliced by another skater's blade. It was awful, lots of blood, and I remember Elvis Stojko keeping pressure on it until the ambulance came and they were able to get her onto a gurney and take her off the ice. So much blood, she must have needed quite a few stitches.

24. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

Yes!! I have looked for this on youtube but cannot find it. She is one tough little cookie :)

25. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

Me too. I was watching it live on TV at the time. Also, it had a profound effect (and of course, it would) on the other teams yet to skate. They were dropping out of lifts etc. Fascinating and horrifying at the same time.